: [Pet Peeve] Eldorados, STS's, Devilles, CTS's etc, on 20in rims

vincentm
05-06-11, 10:28 AM
Just no...no no no and no

OffThaHorseCEO
05-06-11, 10:53 AM
ahhh, so youre one of those guys who buys everyones cars for them and demands they keep them a certain way right?

wait no i doubt that. until you do pay for everyones cars, let them do what they do.

vincentm
05-06-11, 11:03 AM
ahhh, so youre one of those guys who buys everyones cars for them and demands they keep them a certain way right?

wait no i doubt that. until you do pay for everyones cars, let them do what they do.

Not a demand, just a rant

jordan00escalade
05-06-11, 12:21 PM
Why?

Brett
05-06-11, 12:25 PM
President Shepherd: "America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."

maeng9981
05-06-11, 01:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-pq7r1_JA

Because.....it just doesn't fit. Suspension squeaking? Can't turn? No longer a car. Epic fail..

OffThaHorseCEO
05-06-11, 01:16 PM
that guy spent more time worrying about the choice of rims than he spent making sure theyd fit right and work well. 24's on a car is stupid, but im not going to tell anyone they shouldnt do it

Sevillian273
05-06-11, 01:28 PM
OP said didnt say people shouldnt do it. He said he doesnt like it. When it comes to those cars I agree. In my opinion, 20" and up looks ok on a truck or other large vehicle but not on Cadillacs. Aside from the consequences of fit and ride quality, to me, it's a matter of proportions.

On the other hand, I fully support someone who does what he wants to his own car regardless of what others think.

jordan00escalade
05-06-11, 01:43 PM
18-20 inch rims on cars work for me.. 24's on that car isn't practical, especially since he didn't make the necessary suspension upgrade to balance it out.

22-24 would be my preference for aftermarket truck wheels. 20's don't really fill the wells that good to me (just my opinion ofcourse). I wouldn't go any bigger than a 24 on a truck though.

OP said 20 inches. So the video of the coupe on 24's doesn't support the topic or the OP's original thoughts at all. (just my 2 cents)

Stingroo
05-06-11, 02:00 PM
I don't like large wheels enough to ever put them on my own vehicle, but if you do - that's cool. It's your car, after all.

That said, I would totally rock a set of 18s or 20s on the wagon, but like somebody else said, because it's huge, so it looks right.

jordan00escalade
05-06-11, 02:06 PM
YEP Stingroo... 20's on the older model cars look good because cars made in the 60-80 were big bodies with huge wheel wells. Myself I'm a fan of performance, so I like fitting wider tires on around 45 series thread (sporty look) and a set of rally's to back them up. There is a such thing as "putting too much on it' or another term would be "putting the 2 on the 10." I think some rally's on the wagon with an aggressive tire size combo would look good on your car.

Sevillian273
05-06-11, 02:19 PM
^295/50's w/ Cragar SS rims for that boat. :cool2:

OffThaHorseCEO
05-06-11, 02:19 PM
OP said didnt say people shouldnt do it. He said he doesnt like it. When it comes to those cars I agree. In my opinion, 20" and up looks ok on a truck or other large vehicle but not on Cadillacs. Aside from the consequences of fit and ride quality, to me, it's a matter of proportions.
whats bigger than a Cadillac?

On the other hand, I fully support someone who does what he wants to his own car regardless of what others think.
:thumbsup:

jordan00escalade
05-06-11, 02:32 PM
http://www.easyautosales.com/used-cars/1969-Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS-454-30549939.html

This is how I'd like my old school muscle car to look (the stance, approximate wheel size).. I was holding on to that old school dream for a while, now I'm just going to get a V series sometime in the future. lol This is probably an off topic, useless post but hey.. This is America!

Stingroo
05-06-11, 05:00 PM
^295/50's w/ Cragar SS rims for that boat. :cool2:

I'd love to find some S/S's that were wider than 7"... right now my best option is a truck rally wheel that's 15x8, and probably some 275/60s. :)

It'll be awhile though, I just got new tires in October :lol:

Stingroo
05-06-11, 05:05 PM
http://www.easyautosales.com/used-cars/1969-Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS-454-30549939.html

This is how I'd like my old school muscle car to look (the stance, approximate wheel size).. I was holding on to that old school dream for a while, now I'm just going to get a V series sometime in the future. lol This is probably an off topic, useless post but hey.. This is America!

See that's really nice, and definitely clean, but there just isn't enough sidewall on those rear tires for me. I loooove the big meaty look (no homo).

gary88
05-06-11, 05:44 PM
Extra unsprung weight = bad.

OffThaHorseCEO
05-06-11, 05:53 PM
i dont take my car to the race track. the fastest ive gone in a while is 90mph and that was in a straight line on the highway

my ride quality also did not suffer as a result of changing my wheels to 20's

Stingroo
05-06-11, 06:14 PM
^ True story.

ben.gators
05-06-11, 06:29 PM
Hey Roo, Where were you? Final exams?

Stingroo
05-06-11, 06:40 PM
Oh, god no I've been on summer for 2 weeks now. :D

Lost Internet, so I spent a few days running around hitting scrapyards and what not. Fun stuff. :) Got a couple things I wanted.

I have returned!

ThumperPup
05-06-11, 06:51 PM
Just no...no no no and no

If you want to buy me a car and tell me what i can't put on it fine

untill then sticks nose up and walks away

Check out Demm Rim's

ThumperPup
05-06-11, 06:58 PM
i dont take my car to the race track. the fastest ive gone in a while is 90mph and that was in a straight line on the highway

my ride quality also did not suffer as a result of changing my wheels to 20's

wich car did you put the 20s on ?

OffThaHorseCEO
05-06-11, 07:25 PM
the allante
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/Caddy/DSCN1099.jpg

BEFORE
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTAxMDE4LTAwMDY1LmpwZw.jpg

ThumperPup
05-06-11, 08:09 PM
the allante
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/Caddy/DSCN1099.jpg

BEFORE
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTAxMDE4LTAwMDY1LmpwZw.jpg

and you did not notice any ride quality suffering ?
wow i can't say i ever heard of that before unless the shocks and struts and Controle arm and bushings where all knew
the only time i ever
drove on 20s with low pros and did not notice any problem in the ride quality when the car did not come factory with 20s was when a friend just repalce the shocks struts and LCA's on both sides bushings and all
i drove his Buick LeSabre and i did not know the diffrence before and after

but without all new suspension parts im suprised the qulity did not change wow cool

V-Eight
05-07-11, 12:23 PM
20's can work on some cars, but its the MAX I'd ever go, and it has to work for the car.

Sevillian273
05-07-11, 12:35 PM
Regardless of the rim size, I like to see a little more meat on the tire. I'm not a fan of the wagon wheel look.

drewsdeville
05-07-11, 01:48 PM
^^^ditto

ThumperPup
05-07-11, 02:12 PM
Regardless of the rim size, I like to see a little more meat on the tire. I'm not a fan of the wagon wheel look.

im the opsit way i think putting a tire with what you call more meat on a 20 inch rim just makes it look more like a 18 inch rim
just can't see myself ever getting 20s and putting a tire that makes them like like they are 18s

drewsdeville
05-07-11, 02:19 PM
Rim/tire proportion makes a difference, but not as much as rim/car proportion. When the rims are way too big for the car, it's obvious - it looks unnatural and all attention is diverted from the car to the rims.

In the case of the Allante above, all I clearly see the big white rims and forget that there is an Allante above them.

ThumperPup
05-07-11, 02:29 PM
what about the seville above the allante can you say the same thing about it ?

i don't know but i love the compliments i get in the summer i never keep a set of rims longer then 4 or 5 months at a time wich is long enough tto be the summer season then i sell them
but i get complimants on the rims how they make the car look better then theres if they have the same car as me
i get complimants on the car even with the rims they say that looks nice

so when you want to tell me what rims to and not to put on id be happy to listen if you are going to buy the car from me and then give it back for me to drive untill then don't knock what you don't like when others do

V-Eight
05-07-11, 03:24 PM
^ What the hell did you just say....?

ThumperPup
05-07-11, 03:42 PM
^ What the hell did you just say....?

basicly i said wheels do not make ppl stop looking and noticing the car you are driving
ok simple version of what i said

then i also said that if someone wants to say a car does not look right and does not like it thats fine but for someone to say don't put that on my car they can buy my car tell me what i can put on it and give it back to me then ill listen but untill then im going to be peeving that person with the rims i got lol

Sevillian273
05-07-11, 03:56 PM
In the case of the Allante above, all I clearly see the big white rims and forget that there is an Allante above them.

I agree with this but I think the red stripe is a nice touch - it helps them blend in. I think I would have gone with 17's max for such a small car.

Sevillian273
05-07-11, 04:00 PM
I would like to nominate this car for rimjob of the month:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/goddamnyourighteoushand/100_1243.jpg

I'm a big fan of modern OEM wheels on 80s/90s Cads. And as more people do the bling thing to theirs, the oems get cheaper and more available. :cool2:

ThumperPup
05-07-11, 04:25 PM
I would like to nominate this car for rimjob of the month:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/goddamnyourighteoushand/100_1243.jpg

I'm a big fan of modern OEM wheels on 80s/90s Cads. And as more people do the bling thing to theirs, the oems get cheaper and more available. :cool2:

Sevillian from the angle that picture was taken your house looks like the size of your car one could say you live in your car

wow thats a tiny place you got

Sevillian273
05-07-11, 04:30 PM
FACEPALM.

The pic belongs to STS_Seville_Hunter. I may be a douche, but not a big enough douche to nominate my own car!

jordan00escalade
05-07-11, 04:37 PM
I like the Allante.. I think it's a looker

Yesterday while I was picking up some new dust repellent for my wheels, I seen a Dodge Charger (not the new style) he had the HEMI. He had a set of 22's on it and about a 40 series tire or so, and it looked good. In most cases I would say that 20's are big enough for a car, but in the case of the Charger.. I'd put 22's on it. If you have the wheel well space and the suspension to support your set up and it's a big body, then yes bigger looks better.

But at the same time... When I see lowered Escalades/Tahoes on 20 inch rims with 35 series tires on them my stomach turns and I just think.. WHY?

ThumperPup
05-07-11, 04:40 PM
FACEPALM.

The pic belongs to STS_Seville_Hunter. I may be a douche, but not a big enough douche to nominate my own car!

ah ok

billc83
05-07-11, 04:42 PM
I think part of the Allante picture is the lightning. The Allante has a black beltline that you can't really see with the way the shadow is cast in the picture. It makes the rims look bigger and the car look smaller.

I wouldn't do it to my Allante (I think the rims are a wee bit too big myself), but the picture isn't the most flattering.

ThumperPup
05-07-11, 04:44 PM
Yesterday while I was picking up some new dust repellent for my wheels, I seen a Dodge Charger (not the new style) he had the HEMI. He had a set of 22's on it and about a 40 series tire or so, and it looked good. In most cases I would say that 20's are big enough for a car, but in the case of the Charger.. I'd put 22's on it. If you have the wheel well space and the suspension to support your set up and it's a big body, then yes bigger looks better.

what was the charger was it one of the new styles or was it old style classic ?

if its new then id have to not agree with 20s on it or even 22s this does not mean i don't think you should do it if you have the money and its your car do what you want
but those big wheel wells put 20s on it with low pro tires even 22s you got a hudge gap your going to see just does not let the car shine like it should with rims on it

if you take 20s or 22s and put beefy tires on it to fill that cap then it looks like you got truck rims or little tiny wheel sand hudge ugly tires

i think a good size rim for the chargers would be 24s still give them a bit more meat on the tires but not enough for them to look ugly

jordan00escalade
05-07-11, 05:26 PM
It was a Charger with the 09 body style, not the new 2012 style (BTW the 2012 style is.. makes you take a second look at the durango). It's a preference thing and I prefer not to have low pro's on a muscle car. Lowest series tire I could even consider on my muscle would be 40, due to my driving style. So if you take the 22's and put a low profile tire on and still have a gap.. My point would be you have the room to put a little more meat on the tires to fill the gap vs using more rim to fill it. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of the big rims whether painted or chrome, but if I get a flat at 85 mph... lets just agree to disagree at this point lol.

He's a picture of a Charger on 22's with the 35 series tire though, you're right there is a sizable gap that still remains. (just means more tire for me lol)
http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/custom/legacy/LG5-Black-Chrome.shtml

ThumperPup
05-07-11, 05:32 PM
those are 24s i belive if you went with a 20 or 22 can you imagin the uggly cap that would be between the tire and fender ?
low pros with 24s on a charger look god on a 20 or 22 look bad

OffThaHorseCEO
05-09-11, 11:00 AM
bottom line, rims on a car is like a boobjob for a lady for many reason, the two that come to mind are,

- some people prefer the original
- Women mostly say they do it for themselves, while most just want the attention. Most people say they put rims on a car for themselves, but its really because we like being different, aka want attention.

So leave my cars boobs alone!

vincentm
05-09-11, 12:02 PM
bottom line, rims on a car is like a boobjob for a lady for many reason, the two that come to mind are,

- Women mostly say they do it for themselves, while most just want the attention. Most people say they put rims on a car for themselves, but its really because we like being different, aka want attention.

Classic analogy is classic !

OffThaHorseCEO
05-09-11, 12:37 PM
Another supporting reason on that analogy?

Bigger isnt always better

Sevillian273
05-09-11, 03:30 PM
If I got a boobjob it would most definitely be for myself. I dont think I'd like the attention.... :holycrap:

ben.gators
05-09-11, 04:48 PM

May I touch your rims? :D

OffThaHorseCEO
05-09-11, 04:54 PM
May I touch your rims? :D

:histeric:

Destroyer
05-09-11, 11:01 PM
It depends on the car. For an older car I wouldn't go over 18" which is what I have on my '67 Cutlass. On a full size older car...........maybe, as long as it didn't require a lift or sit too high which is just ghetto in my book. A car has to have a "stance" that makes it look mean and makes it look cool. There has to be some side wall there too cause all rim looks bad IMO. My buddy has an '08 Steeda Mustang that came with 20's from Steeda and it looks right. I'm not gonna say that big wheels CANT look good but I will say that more often than not, they don't look good. It just depends.

Destroyer
05-09-11, 11:12 PM
basicly i said wheels do not make ppl stop looking and noticing the car you are driving
ok simple version of what i said

then i also said that if someone wants to say a car does not look right and does not like it thats fine but for someone to say don't put that on my car they can buy my car tell me what i can put on it and give it back to me then ill listen but untill then im going to be peeving that person with the rims i got lolI don't think anyone commented on your car or choice of wheel. :thepan:

jordan00escalade
05-09-11, 11:27 PM
WWCFD?
What would Chip Foose do.. steal your girl = overhaul your car lol
http://www.seriouswheels.com/def/Foose-70-Challenger-SA-Chip-2-1024x768.htm

ben.gators
05-09-11, 11:31 PM
what a wonderful challenger! lucky guy...

STS_Seville_Hunter
05-10-11, 02:03 AM
FACEPALM.

Thanks I've always wanted to be nominated for a rimjob!
Hous is a four bedroom its the angle of the pic.
That Allante is sharper. Would be even sharper lowered an inch.
My problem with big wheels is usually not the size just the wheels them selves have poor designs almost like they get kindergartners to cut out construction paper shapes to use as designs.

408essj
05-10-11, 02:30 AM

22" and doesn't look too big,
Went with 255/35/22 tire and plenty of meat and sidewall, running 42psi and the ride is almost similar to stock 17s, don't get me wrong there is a difference but only because I know the ride before.

Sevillian273
05-10-11, 03:43 AM
almost like they get kindergartners to cut out construction paper shapes to use as designs.

:werd: