: Oil Light?

IvoryWhiteCatera
05-06-11, 02:50 AM
So here goes.

I drive my Catera to work, and recently the oil light (the orange one) has been coming on ten minutes into the drive.

Sending unit?

Easy fix?

investor74
05-06-11, 06:15 PM
That light (the top oil indicator, near the 80 on the pressure gauge) is the oil level. You don't mention whether your oil is full, but I find that that gauge is quite sensitive, and sometimes goes on when the oil is still halfway between the add and full lines. If you are not right up to the full, try adding some.

elvin315
05-07-11, 01:08 PM
So here goes.

I drive my Catera to work, and recently the oil light (the orange one) has been coming on ten minutes into the drive.

Sending unit?

Easy fix?

Pull the dipstick.
Eyeball the oil level.
Add oil if needed.

kaustein
05-07-11, 06:41 PM
I would have the pressure tested. If you trust the gauge use that. If not, get it professionally tested.

CateraMV6
05-08-11, 07:28 PM
My car consumes oil now that its pushing almost 170k mi, so whenever it gets down to the bare minimum which is 5qts... it comes on and sometimes goes away but i know i need to add oil at that point... So whenever I see the light a full quart goes in.

Also I try to keep it from ever reaching that level but it seems in the winter it has surprised me quite a few times.

IvoryWhiteCatera
05-09-11, 05:11 AM
Pull the dipstick.
Eyeball the oil level.
Add oil if needed.

Ahh. My bad. My oil is full, and the gauge stays right under 80 psi whether I'm idling or what have you.