: Fuel Filter replacement ?

Razorecko
05-05-11, 11:21 PM
Anyone know how often its recommended ? I know from owning several cars that after time and mileage a mucked up fuel filter will hinder performance. How in detail do we also get access to our fuel filters ?

DrumStix
05-05-11, 11:27 PM
Rtfm

Razorecko
05-05-11, 11:31 PM
Rtfm

:rolleyes:

http://www.cadillac.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/manuals_2009/2009_cadillac_cts_owners.pdf

show me where it mentions ANYTHING about fuel filter replacement

DrumStix
05-05-11, 11:42 PM
errrr, RTFSM :)

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=CAD&Model=CTS+&Year=2009&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

Razorecko
05-05-11, 11:49 PM
errrr, RTFSM :)

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=CAD&Model=CTS+&Year=2009&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

lol, well yea. If i had one of those I wouldn't be making a thread would i :D

DrumStix
05-05-11, 11:51 PM
Prolly not. Was hoping u might spring for one tho.

Razorecko
05-05-11, 11:55 PM
Actually with the kind of money we're all throwing at our cars we should have one in hardcover. I am really curious on the recommended interval for changing one out. Some of us V owners are raking up those miles ( 30k+ ) and throwing money at injectors and fuel isn't the best if your fuel filter is filled with sh*t

baabootoo
05-05-11, 11:57 PM
If they don't even list it in the owner's manual, I'm not going to worry about it. It will only cut pressure/flow at WOT anyway, right? It's definitely possible to design the tank, and pump intake, to exclude a lot of the junk that used to clog these up.

chopmeat
05-06-11, 01:09 AM
More than once I was told by the service dept at the dealer that it's in the tank and you can't really change it.

photorobb
05-07-11, 05:26 PM
More than once I was told by the service dept at the dealer that it's in the tank and you can't really change it.

well that dealer is full of crap!!:cookoo: its located right in front of the right rear tire

Razorecko
05-07-11, 05:43 PM
I'll have to ask my dealer on mon. What is the cost and labor time. If its not expensive i'm interested in getting it replaced and opening up mine after its 30k miles to see what it looks like.

cbloveday
05-07-11, 06:41 PM
subscribed

Razorecko
05-09-11, 01:05 PM
well that dealer is full of crap!!:cookoo: its located right in front of the right rear tire

Where did you get this info ? My dealer also said it was in the gas tank and non-replaceable

neuronbob
05-09-11, 07:58 PM
OK, we need someone with a service manual to confirm.

Cub Cadet
05-10-11, 08:01 AM
It should be replaced fairly often - just to be on the safe side. This can create issues that could damage the engine. On average, the premium, higher octane gas does have more contaminants in it than regular gas. If you look at the 2003/2004 Cobra or 1999-2004 Lightning communities, they will speak from experience about religiously changing fuel filters. I changed the filter in my Lightning after each race season. It was fairly easy to get to, was cheap insurance, and kept performance up.

Razorecko
05-10-11, 08:58 AM
It should be replaced fairly often - just to be on the safe side. This can create issues that could damage the engine. On average, the premium, higher octane gas does have more contaminants in it than regular gas. If you look at the 2003/2004 Cobra or 1999-2004 Lightning communities, they will speak from experience about religiously changing fuel filters. I changed the filter in my Lightning after each race season. It was fairly easy to get to, was cheap insurance, and kept performance up.

I agree. This was with all my previous performance vehicles. Now we just need to know if our fuel filter is accessible and the part #. I will be the first to do it because I really want to crack open my filter to see what 30k miles have done to it

FbodyOwnr
05-12-11, 02:00 AM
I have a Helm service manual. It says the filter is in the tank and does not need to be replaced for the life of the vehicle. I have never heard of this before. However, when you get under the car good luck finding an inline filter around the fuel lines.