: speakers make a buzzing or whining noise when installed?

nethious
05-05-11, 04:25 PM
alright yesterday i spent about 5 hours taking my back seat out, my old speakers, and installing my new ones. i took the little amps off the back the of bose speakers, and hooked it up to my new pioneers (i think thats the problem, not enough power maybe?) anyone know how many watts those little amps put out? my new speakers are 270 watts.

car is a 1996 seville sls.
i hooked them all the way up and they buzz/whine, when i turn the raido on and turn the volume up the buzz and whine just gets louder.

any tips?

baller95
05-05-11, 05:06 PM
Did you just swap the amps or did you do any mods with wiring or change anything up?

nethious
05-05-11, 09:41 PM
Did you just swap the amps or did you do any mods with wiring or change anything up?

just swapped the amps, i didnt really expect it to work but it was worth a try.

baller95
05-06-11, 11:30 PM
just swapped the amps, i didnt really expect it to work but it was worth a try.
I don't see why it wont work then! Maybe your new amp is faulty?

Warspite
05-07-11, 12:42 AM
Loading is the problem here. Factory Bose speakers are about 1 ohm impedance, while the Pioneers are 6 or more. The stock Bose amps can't drive those speakers (I tried that experiment in my previous car with Bose - an Infiniti Q45, and replaced blown Bose speakers (voice coils shot) with 6 Ohm Kenwoods). With the head unit max volume set, the sound was audible, but low, and the amps could push enough low frequencies to make it worth while. The amps are designed to put out ~10 watts or so into that 1 Ohm load, so your Pioneers are getting maybe 2 or so. And the amps would distort, then buzz, possibly from being overdriven.

Bottom line - get a set of replacement Bose speakers, remount the amps, and enjoy a restored stock system.

jcresciSTS
05-08-11, 03:35 AM
Are you still using the stock radio?

If not just run new speaker wires to the deck

No Highs, No Lows, Must Be Bose :D

Warspite
05-10-11, 01:23 AM
I don't know if GM was affected, but there was a 2 or so year run on Infiniti-based Bose amps (front and back) that had factory recalls/replacements under warranty. Was a problem in '94-'96 Q45 and J30 cars that had the bolt-on amps, with the same symptoms. Over time, they can, and do fail. Probably best thing to do is get a pair from a salvage yard, and try them with the new speakers, but I must repeat myself - those Bose amps will not be able to drive those new speakers to the kind of volume (and bass) range you're seeking.