: Changed all my interior bulbs to LEDs

turbojimmy
05-05-11, 11:27 AM
It's awesome - I highly recommend it. Looks more modern and actually illuminates the inside. The old, stock bulbs were useless.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/limo_LED_interior.jpg

MudAnt
05-05-11, 12:05 PM
Are there any LEDs available for the 80's Broughams?

turbojimmy
05-05-11, 12:11 PM
Are there any LEDs available for the 80's Broughams?

I'm sure there are. Find your bulb numbers and type them into eBay followed by "LED". That's how I found mine.

csbuckn
05-05-11, 12:39 PM
Nice, less draw on the battery too, right?

turbojimmy
05-05-11, 01:01 PM
Nice, less draw on the battery too, right?

Yes, much less draw. They're dimmable, too, but that's not an option on the Fleetwoods. My DTS would dim before they went out, which was neat.

The-Dullahan
05-06-11, 04:38 AM
Yes, much less draw, but in theory, unless you are using the lights while the car is sitting (not running) then it would not make much difference. Yes, Mudant, there are LED bulbs for your car. My Car has always had red LED bulbs. Probably the first modification I ever made to the car, aside from...you know...rebuilding the 307 so it actually ran again.

SDCaddyLacky
05-06-11, 05:58 AM
That's really cool, how about LEDS for the rear tail lights?

turbojimmy
05-06-11, 07:42 AM
That's really cool, how about LEDS for the rear tail lights?

They make 'em, but unless they've changed somehow the lower current draw screws up the flashers.

MudAnt
05-06-11, 09:39 AM
I've been thinking of getting an LED for my 3rd brake light as well, it slightly reduces your chances of being rear-ended :)

Cadillacboy
05-06-11, 11:51 AM
That's a fantastic upgrade ,I am planning to change dull lights to LEDs too

thefleetwoodguy
05-06-11, 12:24 PM
great idea , I like the white light looks nice
can you share the bulb #s for the 93-96 fwb's ?
save us some time looking them up........

turbojimmy
05-07-11, 11:30 AM
Sure,

The courtesy lamps (above the doors) are 192s. The LED replacements say 192/194. The 194 is a higher-watt version of the 192, which is irrelevant for the LEDs. I did have to dremel each housing out a bit to accommodate the larger diameter base of the LED lamp. Depending on the type you get, you may have to do this too. I ordered a 5-LED 192/194 bulb. They have 4 LEDs in a "circle" and one at the end to closely mimic the light output of a regular bulb. HOWEVER, they sent me a 9 LED bulb, which has 8 in a circle (4 pairs) and one on the end. I made them fit, but they're too long. Get the 5 LED versions.

I replaced the dome light with a 25-bulb LED panel. I don't know if regular Fleetwoods have a dome, or if it's a limo-thing. I hard-wired the 25-bulb panel into the housing. The LED panel has a adhesive backing and it stuck to the inside of the housing nicely.

The door lamps (puddle lamps) are S 214-2, commonly referred to as "214" bulbs. They're 'bayonet' style bulbs. I got 6-LED replacements for those.

Last, the rear view mirror lamps are 168s. I got 168 replacement bulbs, but they look big to me. I have not been able to dismantle the mirror yet to install them. Each bulb housing has a tiny torx-head screw on it. Need to figure out what size it is and get a torx bit.

You can get all this stuff on eBay.

Hope that helps.

Stess
05-07-11, 02:51 PM
Looks really nice thanks for the info!

sven914
05-07-11, 03:03 PM
They make 'em, but unless they've changed somehow the lower current draw screws up the flashers.

You need to wire resistors into the flasher circuit to make it work.

The-Dullahan
05-07-11, 03:45 PM
The lower voltage draw problem with using LED bulbs for rear or signal lamps, causing the flashers to misfire is easily correctable. You need a different relay and that's it. Not too hard to find online or sometimes at some specialty electronics stores (Think hobby stores, not Autozone)

Warspite
05-11-11, 03:57 PM
Actually, some auto parts stores are beginning to carry the replacement flashers that are LED compatible, since new vehicles have LEDs out of the factory. The prices for the bulbs, with better and brighter elements, have come down in the past few years, while the intensity of the elements have risen. I've done most of my Seville with them, my previous Infiniti, and soon my '62 Series 62 will have them.

Barrister_07101
05-12-11, 08:28 PM
I tried the LEDs for the interior door map lights from AutoZone and Pep Boys ... not bright at all. This is probably because they are directional (meaning the light is focused straight up through the bulb as opposed to spreading out all around from the bulb). So once you put it in the door map location there is very little reflection down into the passenger compartment. I am sure the lights could be modified to work ... but a simple swap out of the bulbs did not work for me. I know there are other bulbs that have more than one element (click here (http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1995/cadillac/fleetwood/10/531)) - but I doubt it would fit into the standard housing requiring modification.

turbojimmy
05-13-11, 07:41 AM
I tried the LEDs for the interior door map lights from AutoZone and Pep Boys ... not bright at all. This is probably because they are directional (meaning the light is focused straight up through the bulb as opposed to spreading out all around from the bulb). So once you put it in the door map location there is very little reflection down into the passenger compartment. I am sure the lights could be modified to work ... but a simple swap out of the bulbs did not work for me. I know there are other bulbs that have more than one element (click here (http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1995/cadillac/fleetwood/10/531)) - but I doubt it would fit into the standard housing requiring modification.

The map lights I got look like bulbs. They're an LED encased in plastic. I dunno how they'll work since I haven't been able to install them yet. And you're right, I doubt the multi-LED bulbs will fit. Like I said, I had to modify (albeit very slightly) the courtesy lamp housings for the 9-LED bulbs.

The only drawback to the LED bulbs, as you point out, is that they are very directional. When you put them in housings designed for regular bulbs, the outcome isn't always great. In this case, however, the multi-LED bulbs in the courtesy lamps worked great. The cool thing about the bayonet-style LED bulbs in the door panels is that they are a 6-LED array that you can aim since the bayonet rolls within the fixture. You actually get more light where you want it versus the stock bulbs.