: Gs400 Vs 2005 Sts

joshuawk
10-10-04, 04:20 PM
I brought my Lexus GS400 into the Cadillac dealer. I'm supposed to sign
papers tomorrow to finalize the tradein and pickup my new car.

It's black V8 with the luxury package of magnetic ride control
and all that crap.

Anyways. I think it is much slower than my lexus? 0-30 mph is what
interests me.

0-60 its already slower.

maybe I should get a new GS 430.

ktills45
10-10-04, 05:55 PM
Since hp and 0-60 is your thing, perhaps you should be looking at a Mitsu Evolution? 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, and think of all the money you'll save. :rolleyes:

Vesicant
10-10-04, 06:06 PM
GS400 0-60 : approx. 6 seconds

STS V8 0-60: 6 seconds

???

maybe the sts is just smoother than the GS400 :p

joshuawk
10-10-04, 06:54 PM
I think ill be picking up my new STS either way, but just wondering
if it is even comparable to a GS400?

Are they a totally different class? All the comparison online are to other cars.

They're both 4 door sports sedans, so why havent they compared the gs and the sts online yhet?

joshuawk
10-10-04, 06:56 PM
anyone know the 0-30 mph comparisons?

Vesicant
10-10-04, 07:06 PM
The STS and GS400 are competitors ..

cant find 0-30 right now for the lexus .. but the STS's is 2.3 sec.

Slick V
10-10-04, 11:09 PM
You wont find comparisions because the STS is a luxury sport sedan, and the GS is a luxury sedan.

Vesicant
10-10-04, 11:24 PM
I did see it listed though- i forget what site it was :disappoin

ktills45
10-11-04, 07:50 AM
Road and Track did a complete review of the STS when it came out, they break down acceleration from 0 all the way to 100.

But honestly, if your looking for a 0.1 second difference to make up your mind about which car to buy, I personally think your crazy.

ktills45
10-11-04, 07:53 AM
I just went to their web site, it has the article but not the acceleration breakdown. I'll pull that out of my mag and post it tonite.

joshuawk
10-11-04, 09:42 AM
its not about what car to buy.

I already have a Gs400. I simply don't want to be convinced into
buying this STS and have it be a downgrade for $68k

it better be nice!
man im excited though I think its way better than my lexus

No all wheel drive though and I live in Minnesota, I should maybe
wait for that

when are the AWD available?

gothicaleigh
10-11-04, 12:38 PM
Lexus GS 400
4.0L V8 300hp 310ft. lbs. torque
0-60: 5.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.5 @ 87.0 mph
Top speed: 149 mph
Braking, 60-0: 119 ft.
SkidPad: 0.83g
Slalom: 61.3 mph

Cadillac STS
4.6L V8 320hp 315ft. lbs. torque
0-60: 5.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.3 @ 97.5 mph
Top speed: 155 mph
Braking, 60-0: 120 ft.
SkidPad: 0.81g
Slalom: 62.3 mph

b4z
10-11-04, 12:54 PM
Depends on which gear ratio you have.
I imagine the difference between a 2.73 geared STS and a 3.42 geared STS is probably .4-.5 secs 0-60, with most of that advanatge coming in the 0-30 mph range.
Which gear ratio does your STS have?

gothicaleigh
10-11-04, 01:07 PM
Lexus GS430
Length.................................189.2
Width...................................70.9
Height..................................55.9
Wheelbase............................110.2
Curb Weight.........................3715 lbs.

Cadillac STS
Length.................................196.3
Width...................................72.6
Height..................................57.6
Wheelbase............................116.4
Curb Weight..........................4026 lbs.

68CoupeDeVille
10-11-04, 02:41 PM
Don't forget that your STS isn't broken in yet. It's gonna take several thousand miles before it starts to make the power it's rated to produce. If it's a close battle between the STS and the GS with only a few miles on the STS's clock then there should be little contest once your Northstar is fully broken in.

Ormond
10-11-04, 03:40 PM
The Lexus probably holds its value better than any Cadillac. However, I usually don't let that stop me. :D

BeelzeBob
10-11-04, 07:44 PM
GS's are a dime a dozen... Anyone without bad credit and a pay check from McDonalds has one.

joshuawk
10-11-04, 09:04 PM
and anyone with bad credit, er GOOD and a McDonald's check can't loan a 2005 STS?

laugh

gothicaleigh
10-11-04, 09:39 PM
The performance numbers are admittedly close between these two.

The STS is clearly the winner in design. Lexus' are very bland looking to me and blend into much of what is on the road. No one will mistake the STS for anything but a Cadillac. Even the interior seems uninspiring in the GS. I would be hard pressed to part with that kind of money for a car that is 'just more of the same'.

If you want performance from your luxury car, I would suggest holding out until next summer when the V version of the STS comes out. No Lexus in the world will be able to touch that one.

majax
10-11-04, 10:06 PM
You should know better than to ask Cadillac people wheter Lexus or Cadillac is better :D :p. You should wait for the AWD if your driving in the winter,otherwise good tires and the cars limited slip differential will keep you on the road in rain, oh and trac control and stabilitrack. Some people like me put their good cars away fro winter.

joshuawk
10-11-04, 11:23 PM
too late I already got my 05 sts

no all wheel drive.
Ill drive my DENALI in the snow I guess.

Hate to say it guys, but the LEXUS does have some notable better qualities.

Its not even something I could describe in words very well.

My lexus was just smoother, quieter on acceleration. I can hear/feel the STS shifting. My GS seemed like it looked, ROUND and smooth.

I think I like the STS better though. but not for drive quality The STS
is rough around the edges compared to my GS I traded in.

It's like trading in a skinny hot girl, for a busty hot girl rough around the edges...

or something. LAUGH!

However I'm american and not japanese, and in the end the cadillac will suit me better.

LEXUS needs to update their car offerings if they dont want american companies dipping into their market share.

Regardless of anything the 05 sts is one hot car and nobody in their right mind could complain about owning one.

Vesicant
10-11-04, 11:25 PM
:thumbsup:

Now, could you share any pictures then? Need some inspiration here... not many members know what they look like in real life and plus.. any car looks better in the driveway :coolgleam

majax
10-12-04, 01:51 AM
From the reviews I read on the STS the trany was uber smooth, they said you couldnt feel it go into overdrive.

BeelzeBob
10-12-04, 10:37 AM
and anyone with bad credit, er GOOD and a McDonald's check can't loan a 2005 STS?

laugh
Don't laugh, Joshua. Because I'm absolutely correct. You can get a 1998 GS400 for $16,000.00 (http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/lexus/gs300/12892/prices.html?tid=edmunds.u.mipmake.pricetable.num1. 1.lexus*). Not anyone without bad credit and a paycheck from McDonalds can get a $41,000.00 Cadillac STS... So you're now driving a car that you wont see everywhere on the road. In fact, you should really be one of the first in your area to have an STS. I haven't seen one yet...

At any cost.. I've always been a big fan of Lexus... They do make really great automobiles...

Otherwise, Cadillac is more into performance these days. The ride isn't going to be as smooth as it used to be. Lexus is really well-known for the soft, quiet rides - especially with the ES and LS.. It's really the ultimate in luxury, if you ask me. Something Cadillac used to be. Nowadays, Cadillac is going more towards BMW (The ultimate in Luxury/Sport) - I think Lexus is going more towards Mercedes... They're two very different types of vehicles...

majax
10-13-04, 09:24 PM
Not a bad observation Sal, there is exception though for the DeVille. I have only seen on GS400/430 on the road, it looked pretty good. The reason there is a litte engine sound in the STS is cause it has to fullfill that sport part of the sport/luxury. Sports cars have to have a little engine roar.

BeelzeBob
10-13-04, 09:27 PM
You've only seen one GS? Damn.. They're very popular in New York - but when I came here, West Palm Beach, my God! They're everywhere!

majax
10-13-04, 09:34 PM
I saw it when I was in Seattle for 2 days. Haven't seen any in spokane either nor in the "wheel deals" used car thingy. I guess there may be some at the dealership there.
I did see 22 VW Passats In seattle and lots of town cars a few more than I saw DeVilles. Seattle is mainly a BMW city though lots of nice used 7's and 5's.

Devil_concours
10-13-04, 11:59 PM
there is always 2 gs, 1 tl, 2 7 series, 2 x5s, 1 escalade w/23 at work...

Slick V
10-14-04, 12:10 AM
Ive driven a new STS v8, and I couldnt feel it shift unless it was shifting while WOT. Thats a part of what I found so amazing, that if you werent looking at the tech. you wouldnt even know it shifted gears.

strindl
10-14-04, 12:28 AM
Ive driven a new STS v8, and I couldnt feel it shift unless it was shifting while WOT. Thats a part of what I found so amazing, that if you werent looking at the tech. you wouldnt even know it shifted gears.

The STS uses the same 5 speed Hydramatic I had in my CTS, and that is one fine transmission. Very smooth shifting. I drove a V8 pwered RWD STS a few weeks ago, and was impressed with it's performance. Very quick, very solid car. Cadillac finally did an interior that at least approaches Lexus plushness too.

I decided I needed 4wd here in wisconsin though, and I only have one vehicle, so no Denali to drive in the snow. :)
I still havn't heard when the awd STS will start arriving in showrooms.

I drove a Lexus LS430 a month or so ago, and man oh man was that a smooth quiet ride. No awd , and kinda bland exterior styling. Interior was gorgeous. It didn't have the handling capabilities of the STS I drove though.

Lexus does do something that makes their vehicles much quieter inside then any others. The STS is the quietest caddy I ever drove, but not quite up to LS levels in that regard.

majax
10-14-04, 01:04 AM
Quiteness is one of my favorite things.

Smokin' SRX
10-18-04, 03:14 PM
its not about what car to buy.

I already have a Gs400. I simply don't want to be convinced into
buying this STS and have it be a downgrade for $68k

it better be nice!
man im excited though I think its way better than my lexus

No all wheel drive though and I live in Minnesota, I should maybe
wait for that

when are the AWD available?

The Lex ain't a bad ride but , I buy American burgers at an American Joint (Mc Donalds!) and then forget that we have a terrible National trade imbalance? Guess what that does to your dollar (gas,etc) ? If we don't put America first we'll all be working at McDonalds! Written by, driven by, paid by: AN AMERICAN! If there were no alternative to rice burners, I'd be with you! But wake up America ! Thanks.....now let me off my soap-box! Enjoy :thumbsup: that STS!