: I'm gonna buy a sea doo or a waverunner. Suggestions please?

Koooop
05-05-11, 12:03 AM
I've never owned a PWC before, so now it's time. I want a couple of used 3 passenger boats, maybe 10 years old or newer. I don't think I want the supercharged models, they sound like trouble.

I need some suggestions! I don't know anything about these, if there are models to avoid or what. I will not buy any boats that have been in salt (I will use them in salt, but I want to buy fresh water boats).

I'm looking at a 1999 & 2000 Sea Doo GTX boats, both fresh water, 100 hours. Anything scary here?

I want a pair of 3 passenger boats, on a trailer, under $10,000.

Thanks

ThumperPup
05-05-11, 08:08 AM
stay away from the Yamaha Wave Runner jet ski's they suck big time
i have had 2 and nothing but issues during that owner ship well not me but my Brother who lives down in in Cary NC has had them and he gave me 2 of his old ones ones to use whyll i was down there for a year and they sucked
i decided to go out and buy a Sea Door picked up a used 1997 GSX 800 on the cheap back in 2002 i paid 2600 for it whyll i was down there never paid atention to how much i ran it i just took it out on the lake when i had nothing to do with was probalby about half the day 4 days a week for 4 months that i ownedi t ran the hell out of it and sold it before i left for a 500 dollar profit

not ones had a issue with it and my friend jeff he has it now has said still all original and going strong

Florian
05-05-11, 10:49 AM
make sure it floats.

F

EcSTSatic
05-05-11, 01:37 PM
sailboats FTW. I hear the voyage to Catalina Island is awesome!

No help I know, just a gratuitous plug for sailpower

dkozloski
05-05-11, 02:17 PM
All you can do with a PWC is ride around and around and around. The novelty wears off quickly. They are not at all suited for floating arond and drinking beer. You get way more utility out of a good bass boat or outdrive cruiser.

ThumperPup
05-05-11, 02:31 PM
if i knew weather or not the OP had unlimited funds or wanted to take a mortgage out or equity loan on his home id tell him to try out a Formula 350 not because i know anything about them but just because i have a friend with one and he brags all the time about how his 400k cruiser is the best LOL
and all he does is sit on lake area and fish for walleye on it LMAO

orconn
05-05-11, 03:13 PM
The run to Catalina is not all that one would imagine! You could probably jump from boat to boat on the way over and never get your feet wet! Yeah, Santa Monica Freeway with boats instead of cars. Once you get there finding a mooring is a good trick, unless you are one of the ones who own theirs (the cost of a mooring on Catalina Island is close to the cost of a house in most places). The good news is the traffic in the channel is probably a lot lighter these days with the cost of gas!

orconn
05-05-11, 03:16 PM
All you can do with a PWC is ride around and around and around. The novelty wears off quickly. They are not at all suited for floating arond and drinking beer. You get way more utility out of a good bass boat or outdrive cruiser.

Yeah, i wouldn't that Skidoos would be to be popular in Alaska. If the cold didn't put you off, the polar bears and orcas might give you second thoughts!

Koooop
05-05-11, 06:11 PM
Formulas are fun, but I don't need an offshore boat right now, I need to be able to tow them to the river. I don't like to fish so I don't need a bass boat, my wife refused to ride in my Tunnel boat or the overpowered Invader (smart woman). I'm thinking the Skis will be fun for a summer or two, at least until my V gets replaced by something that can tow. Part of it's a weight issue, I don't want to overload the wife's minivan with a ski boat or I'd be dropping in on a 21' extended plane Chapparal.

There really isn't much traffic in the channel to Catalina, once you get there you can't find a place to park your boat. If you do get access to a mooring over there it's a blast!

dkozloski
05-05-11, 06:57 PM
The boat I owned for many years had wings on it. There is no better way to get around in Alaska.

drewsdeville
05-05-11, 07:24 PM

:yup:

Way overrated. The fun ends after you rip around, do a few figure 8's, jump a few waves, and annoy the hell out of everyone else on the water if it's a smaller body of water.

That lasts for about 1/2 hour.

Koooop
05-05-11, 08:12 PM
:yup:

Way overrated. The fun ends after you rip around, do a few figure 8's, jump a few waves, and annoy the hell out of everyone else on the water if it's a smaller body of water.

That lasts for about 1/2 hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yFSpml8oSw

gary88
05-05-11, 08:18 PM
I've had great experiences with wave runners, especially the newer supercharged ones. 70mph out on the open water on one of those is one hell of a thrill :cool:

Out on Lake Michigan for example I prefer to be on an actual boat, but for smaller bodies of water PWCs are king.

hueterm
05-05-11, 08:20 PM
:owned2:

drewsdeville
05-05-11, 08:30 PM

LOL! Nice!

hueterm
05-05-11, 08:38 PM
I'm not an SNL watcher, so that little clip was new -- and hilarious...

thebigjimsho
05-05-11, 09:02 PM
Oh, I know! Get a SHO!!!

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200808/2009-yamaha-fx-sho-4_1600x0w.jpg

drewsdeville
05-05-11, 09:09 PM
Lulz. A Yamaha SHO...wasn't Yamaha the developer for Ford's SHO engines? :thumbsup:

Koooop
05-05-11, 09:22 PM
Oh, I know! Get a SHO!!!

Now that's a JET SKI!

Stingroo
05-05-11, 09:28 PM
Lulz. A Yamaha SHO...wasn't Yamaha the developer for Ford's SHO engines? :thumbsup:

I do believe so. This is most comical.

thebigjimsho
05-05-11, 09:50 PM
In the context of the time it was built, maybe the most impressive engine ever! Yamaha really does an amazing job with OHC engines...

thebigjimsho
05-05-11, 09:51 PM
And, I guess, Ford doesn't own the trademark to the SHO...

ThumperPup
05-06-11, 08:39 AM
Oh, I know! Get a SHO!!!

nooooooo stay away from yamaha only thing they make thats good is a keyboard and thats if they are the same company lol

just my opinion but i know i talked to my half brother yesterday and just asked him for the hell of it how his new rides where he got some a year ago
and he said been in the shop 4 times for things that should not happen to something he got 2 yamaha's he said and he had the 2 old ones also
he has had 2 ski doo's since the mid 90s and has never had a issue with one of them the other one has been in the shop 2 times for things that where not minor he could fix himself

ThumperPup
05-06-11, 08:40 AM
In the context of the time it was built, maybe the most impressive engine ever! Yamaha really does an amazing job with OHC engines...

there engines may be good
but there other stuff is junk

CTSV_Rob
05-06-11, 12:35 PM
Sea Doo's back in the early years are probably the better ski's. Nowadays I'm not sure who has the better ski.

BTW, if you get a three seater you can pull a wave board or regular ski's. If you do get a three seater, make sure it has enough power, enough to scare you or it will bore you quickly. For the older ski's I would go with the 1000cc or bigger to make sure she has enough omph to get you out of the hole quickly.

And for TP, Yamaha makes the Best Stand up JetSki's, Hull design is sweet and the power band is awesome, just a great all around ski.

For real fun, go with one of these koooop:
http://www.gregterzian.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/jet-ski_1200px.jpg

Koooop
05-06-11, 12:55 PM
I don't think my 8 and 10 year olds would have to much fun with that type.

Submariner409
05-06-11, 03:30 PM
8 and 10 year olds ??? You better check your state boating laws - Many, if not all, states have minimum age, equipment and certification requirements for PWC operators. I know that in Maryland it's 16 years and a state approved boat operator certification course, and in some cases an adult (over 18 with an operator's certification) must also be aboard.

Koooop
05-06-11, 06:45 PM
They can ride with me, that's why I want the 3 seaters.

CTSV_Rob
05-06-11, 10:21 PM
Just don't put a ZZ383 in it :hide:

Koooop
05-07-11, 12:32 AM
I've been reading, it won't get a ZZ383 or a 4 stroke for that matter. Seems like the best choice is the SeaDoo with a 2 stroke motor.

BTW, the shavings in my pan would not stick to the magnet so maybe they're aluminum? What ever the issue is, it's hiding!

thebigjimsho
05-07-11, 07:15 PM
there engines may be good
but there other stuff is junk
Well, is a waverunner much more than a body and an engine?

CTSV_Rob
05-08-11, 02:24 PM
I've been reading, it won't get a ZZ383 or a 4 stroke for that matter. Seems like the best choice is the SeaDoo with a 2 stroke motor.

BTW, the shavings in my pan would not stick to the magnet so maybe they're aluminum? What ever the issue is, it's hiding!
Good choice on the Ski and maybe you can get out of that without too much out of pocket.

If your going to get a used ski, take it to a mechanic to check it out. You want to make sure it has been taken care of and I don't know too much about those Rotax Engines. I would guess you would want to at least make sure the compression is okay.

I bought a used Ski and I found out after I got it on the water that the impeller was trashed. After I sent it in for repair and balance the ski went like a bat out of hell. That only cost me about $150 to get it fixed because I did the work myself but if you buy one that requires repair it could end up costing you more than you spent for them.

Potetial problems to watch out for:
1- They sucked crap into the pump from running in water too shallow or full of debirs floating in the water
2- They beached them running and sucked sand into the pump
3- They sunk them and sucked water into the intake
4- Did they use cheap oil or if you need to need to premix, did they mix it properly everytime (scoring on the cylinder walls)
5- Are the couplers and bearings in the driveline in good shape
6- is the inside (engine compartment) of the ski clean (A sign of how well they took care of it)
7- check for signs of hull repair

I have seen some pretty scary stuff out on the lake. I saw some moron running one at full throttle for about 4 - 5 minutes on the shore and it locked up. He said he was going to take it back to the guy that rebuit it for him because he did a crap job on it. It's okay to start it up on the trailer to make sure the battery and carb are okay but don't go past about a 1/4 throttle and do it for less than 30 seconds. You have no water cooling and the motor will seize (That's what this guy did).

If you know anyone that has had experience with a jet ski, let them test drive it for you to see if it runs okay.

Be careful koooop.

CTSV_Rob
05-08-11, 02:25 PM
Well, is a waverunner much more than a body and an engine?
Hull design can make or break a ski, more important than the engine design IMO.

thebigjimsho
05-08-11, 08:29 PM
Hull design can make or break a ski, more important than the engine design IMO.
So you on TP's side, then? Have fun...

Koooop
05-09-11, 12:17 AM
I got my first boat when I was 11, so the basics I should be able to cover. I will open the impeller up, look at the hull to make sure it hasn't be beached to death, check the compression etc... My main concern is with notorious problems (like headgaskets in certain motors).

Fortunately, I have it on good authority (TP) that the Yamaha Boats are shit! This thread saved me from going there!

CTSV_Rob
05-09-11, 12:22 AM
So you on TP's side, then? Have fun...
Did not agree with him, just stated a fact. I didn't say whether they had a good hull or not in that comment but if you go back a little you will see that I said the SuperJet (Yamaha) was the best design and that was because of the hull. Stable and you can really throw it around. Fun ski.

Koooop
05-09-11, 05:39 AM
Good choice on the Ski and maybe you can get out of that without too much out of pocket.

If your going to get a used ski, take it to a mechanic to check it out. You want to make sure it has been taken care of and I don't know too much about those Rotax Engines. I would guess you would want to at least make sure the compression is okay.

I bought a used Ski and I found out after I got it on the water that the impeller was trashed. After I sent it in for repair and balance the ski went like a bat out of hell. That only cost me about $150 to get it fixed because I did the work myself but if you buy one that requires repair it could end up costing you more than you spent for them.

Potetial problems to watch out for:
1- They sucked crap into the pump from running in water too shallow or full of debirs floating in the water
2- They beached them running and sucked sand into the pump
3- They sunk them and sucked water into the intake
4- Did they use cheap oil or if you need to need to premix, did they mix it properly everytime (scoring on the cylinder walls)
5- Are the couplers and bearings in the driveline in good shape
6- is the inside (engine compartment) of the ski clean (A sign of how well they took care of it)
7- check for signs of hull repair

I have seen some pretty scary stuff out on the lake. I saw some moron running one at full throttle for about 4 - 5 minutes on the shore and it locked up. He said he was going to take it back to the guy that rebuit it for him because he did a crap job on it. It's okay to start it up on the trailer to make sure the battery and carb are okay but don't go past about a 1/4 throttle and do it for less than 30 seconds. You have no water cooling and the motor will seize (That's what this guy did).

If you know anyone that has had experience with a jet ski, let them test drive it for you to see if it runs okay.

Be careful koooop.

Every word is good advice.

thebigjimsho
05-10-11, 09:15 PM
Rob and TP sittin in a tree...

Destroyer
05-10-11, 10:02 PM
nooooooo stay away from yamaha only thing they make thats good is a keyboard and thats if they are the same company lol

just my opinion but i know i talked to my half brother yesterday and just asked him for the hell of it how his new rides where he got some a year ago
and he said been in the shop 4 times for things that should not happen to something he got 2 yamaha's he said and he had the 2 old ones also
he has had 2 ski doo's since the mid 90s and has never had a issue with one of them the other one has been in the shop 2 times for things that where not minor he could fix himself
My bud swears by Yamaha waverunners and says Sea Doo's are garbage. He's been a mechanic of these things forever so I think I'll listen to what he says. :cool2:

thebigjimsho
05-10-11, 11:27 PM
s00pa cool, dood!

Koooop
05-11-11, 12:03 AM
My bud swears by Yamaha waverunners and says Sea Doo's are garbage. He's been a mechanic of these things forever so I think I'll listen to what he says. :cool2:

Yer bud duzn't no spank. I'm going with wut TP sez bout yamirhaz.

Destroyer
05-12-11, 09:27 PM
Yer bud duzn't no spank. I'm going with wut TP sez bout yamirhaz.
Don't fizzle my shizzle man! :lildevil:

Koooop
05-30-11, 09:37 AM
Survey sez!

Koooop
05-30-11, 09:39 AM
2007 Kawasaki STX 12F. These things haul azz!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-30-11, 09:56 AM
Fun! I love going boating/jet skiing in the summer.

Koooop
05-30-11, 10:26 AM
These boats have a 1.2 liter Kawasaki Ninja motor on board. They scoot!

Stingroo
05-30-11, 10:29 AM
I think that allows for a little more than "scooting".

They sure do look fun. :yup: