: White smoke tailpipe 89 Brougham

mike1136
05-04-11, 04:56 PM
Every morning I start my car I get white smoke from the tailpipe so I sit there and let it run for about 5 minutes until its gone then im on my way.What is causing this? Ive noticed that my coolant level gets low in about a month or so, could that have something to do with this white smoke outta the tailpipe? Thanks guys this forum is a blessing. BTW it doesnt smoke while im driving.

sven914
05-04-11, 06:37 PM
It is normal for an engine to blow white smoke when cold. It does this because of the condensation built up in the exhaust and engine is being turned into steam. Also, a cold engine runs richer than a warm one and the excess fuel will give the exhaust a grey to blue tint.

brougham
05-04-11, 06:58 PM
White smoke can be normal. The antifreeze issue is strange. Does the exhaust smell like anything?
Running rich is grey smoke, any blue is burning oil and not normal.

cadillac kevin
05-05-11, 12:26 AM
as noted above, white smoke is normal in the colder months.
as for the coolant issue, have you checked the radiator ends for signs of leaks as well as the hoses and tightness of the clamps? your car might still have the original radiator and hoses, in which case they would be starting to fail by now.

sven914
05-05-11, 01:15 AM
My car does the same thing with the coolant lose. It used to be weekly, but now I only need to top it off every two months; and I didn't fix anything. My best guess is a slow leak at the heater core (I wouldn't worry about; it's like a continuous coolant flush).