: '78 Deville "window sweep" problem.

pompste
05-04-11, 01:40 PM
Hi all,
My '78 Deville`s driver side door "outer" window sweep is 3/4`s gone--just rotted out from age.What very little remains of the sweep seems to be held in place by the chrome trim piece that runs along the top of the door.Is there a safe way to remove this trim piece without having to remove the door panel? Remember this is the "outer" sweep,on the outside of the window, so maybe door panel removal can be avoided.
If i can remove what`s left of the sweep,then i can install a new one.
Thanks for any help.

jcolliga40
05-04-11, 02:29 PM
I'm not to sure about on a 78 but When I did mine on an 86 I Just took the inside.door.panel off and was able to work around the window to unscrew them.

deVille33
05-04-11, 10:21 PM
You have to remove the inner door panel and then have the window all the way down. There are small screws that hold the belt trim and the sweep to the door. Problem is finding the sweeps. I was directed to a company that supposedly sold the sweeps. I ordered a couple sets because all the ones on my cars are dried out and cracked. What they sent me was the correct length, but not a proper fit. I've stalled on the project of adapting what I got to the belt trim, at the present.

pompste
05-05-11, 01:44 AM
You have to remove the inner door panel and then have the window all the way down. There are small screws that hold the belt trim and the sweep to the door. Problem is finding the sweeps. I was directed to a company that supposedly sold the sweeps. I ordered a couple sets because all the ones on my cars are dried out and cracked. What they sent me was the correct length, but not a proper fit. I've stalled on the project of adapting what I got to the belt trim, at the present.

Wow---i was hoping i would`nt have to remove the door panel.No telling what problems that might lead to,broken clips etc.
I`ve looked into the top of the inner door with the window down and with"out" removing the door panel.I did see some screws that hold the belt trim and sweep,but they are somewhat rusted and i don`t know f they are phillips head or standard--do you know which? I may be able to access the screws with a 45 degree angle shorthead screwdriver without removing the door panel.
I`ve been checking online for new sweeps--have you tried JC WHITNEY? They offer 1 choice under "window seals",but offer many different sizes of it which is confusing.
I may just order a "trim to fit" sweep online somewhere and somehow adapt it to what it is.I really don`t want to remove the door panel since the car is 33 years old and things get brittle with that kind of age,but i`ve got to figure a way to keep water out of the inner door.
Thanks for the info.

pompste
05-05-11, 01:51 AM
I'm not to sure about on a 78 but When I did mine on an 86 I Just took the inside.door.panel off and was able to work around the window to unscrew them.

My '78 and your '86 should have the same setup since the bodystyles were basically the same from '77 thru '92.
Where did you get some new sweeps? I`m having a difficult time locating any.

csbuckn
05-05-11, 03:20 AM
Kakalak over at LayitLow makes sweeps for 77-92 cadillacs.
http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=32&t=527871&st=0#entry16677515

deVille33
05-05-11, 08:49 AM
The screws are phillips head. If you can get an angle head driver to remove the screws, you'll most likely drop them inside the door and they would be near impossible to reinstall. You need an upostery tool to draw the panel clips out of the door and phillips screwdrivers to remove all the screws. Go slow and be deliberate in locating the tool to remove the panel clips. If you don't locate the tool properly you can tear the back of the panel.
There are 2 large screws in back of the pull straps. Two screws hold the handle recess to the door at the door handle area. Remove the courtesy light lens and you will find 2 screws along the armrest. You have to get down low because they screw up into the window/ door control frame. Then you can remove the door controls. Careful, because the wood grain plastic is delicate after all these years. There is a retaining ring which unscrews at the rear-veiw mirror control and an allen set screw at the collar that you have to remove so the control will fit through the panel.
Guide the plugs for the window controls and the rear mirror control through the panel openings and lift the panel off the door. You don't have to remove the moisture barrier or the sound deadener unless you need to access the inside of the door controls.
I didn't realize you had a Sedan. There are sweeps available for your Sedan deVille or the Fleetwoods at Steele and a couple other suppliers. I have coupes which are harder to find these parts for.