: Headlight Issues!!!!! Please help.

2006BlueChip
05-04-11, 03:51 AM
Just purchased a 2006 STS. HID lights. Turn the "Multi-Function Stalk" to 'Headlights On' - only get Parking Lights. Push it forward, Bright Lights come on. Turn switch to 'Auto Headlights On', only Brights. No Low beam. :suspense:

Remote unlock the car - Low beams come on. Both bulbs are obviously good. I would assume there is a rely for the low beams, and it must be good, because they light up on 'unlock'. :confused:

When the switch is in the 'Headlight On' position - the parking light icon is lit on the dash. Please help.

chazglenn3
05-04-11, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the forum and the STS! I have never heard of anything like this. Are you sure that you only get brights? There is also an automatic high beam system installed called Intellibeam. Try pressing the left button on your rear view mirror to disable the automatic highs. I suspect the system is working as designed. With the HID headlights, the low beams stay on when the high beams are active.

2006BlueChip
05-04-11, 10:57 AM
Problem is, Low Beams don't work at all. Not on Auto or Manual. Only when the car is unlocked via the fob.Checked fuses and relays today. Fuses are good. Changed relay with Accessory relay (same type).'click' when turned on, but no low beam. All other lights work. parking, Fog, DTL. and High Beam.
I did notice that when I manually turn them on, the Parking Light icon appears on the dash. Normal?

chazglenn3
05-04-11, 01:03 PM
The dash icon comes on whenever the parking lights are on, so yes that is normal. Sorry I can't help with the low beam issue...might be time to take a trip to the dealer. Was the car a dealer purchase or private party? I would think the headlights not working would be a safety issue and a dealer would be required by law to repair.

EChas3
05-04-11, 09:35 PM
The dash indicator is for headlights not parking lights. Do you know if anyone has messed with the headlights?

More than a few forum members 'upgrade' their headlights and cause more trouble than benefit.

2006BlueChip
05-04-11, 11:33 PM
Not that I know of. I bought it used, and the dealer was kind of a pain in the a$$ to get information from. I looked up what I could, and it appears, they would have come factory.
Within the headlights, there are two bulbs. Higher and Lower. Which are the actual 'High' beams and which are the 'Low' beams. I don't have a 'box' on the windshield that would leave me to believe it has the Intellibeam. There is a box for the Rainsense Wipers. However, there is an On/Off button on my mirror, but I just thought that was for the AutoDimming. Could be possible that I just don't know what the heck is supposed to happen, except for even in "Auto Lights are Off" - I turn them on Manually, and have no Low beam. only High.

ddalder
05-04-11, 11:48 PM
What happens when you have your car running during the day and the windshield wipers turned on (even if only in the RainSense mode)?

2006BlueChip
05-05-11, 12:05 AM
I just read a thread on this.... I was going to walk out of the office and check. As it drives now, with wipers in RainSense mode... Parking Lights, including small 'peanut' lights within the headlamps. I can also turn on the Fog Lamps, which is how I've been driving. Going to go outside right now and see if things change if I shut the wipers completely off.

Also, is the bottom bulb the 'High' or 'Low' beam. Sounds stupid, but since I've only had one 'brightness' there's no way for me to tell.

2006BlueChip
05-05-11, 12:28 AM
Low Beam = Peanut Lights and All Parking Lights / Fog Lights
High Beam = Bottom Bulb and All Parking Lights

ddalder
05-05-11, 12:33 AM
The upper lights should be low beams and the lower should be high (at least this is the configuration if you have HID's).

So here's my thoughts...

When you unlock your car, the low beams work (as I understand it). This tells me the IPM (Instrument Panel Module) can correctly control the relay. The IPM will flash the lights because it receives a message over the data bus indicating you've requested the car be unlocked (sent by the RCDLR or Remote Control Door Lock Receiver).

The headlamp switch interfaces directly with the IPM, yet it doesn't appear to function correctly. At the same time, the wiper control switch interfaces with both the wiper control module and the IPM. The difference being that the headlamp switch and the wiper switch use different inputs on the IPM. It would make sense that if the headlight switch didn't work, yet the headlamps worked correctly when the wipers are on that the problem would (most likely) be the headlamp switch or the wiring between it and the IPM. Since neither the headlamp switch, nor the wiper switch cause the headlamps to activate, the problem is most likely with the IPM and the logic that monitors various inputs. As mentioned, it can clearly control the headlamps, but this is by way of a data message, not a direct IPM discrete input.

There may be other possibilities, but no matter how you look at it, you're probably facing a trip to the dealer.

2006BlueChip
05-05-11, 12:41 AM
Okay. Yes, it's the 'Lower' bulb that lights up when unlocked w/ the fob. i took a bunch of pictures but can't seem to get them to post on here. *sigh* Hate dealing with Dealerships.....

chazglenn3
05-05-11, 12:43 AM
The dash indicator is for headlights not parking lights.

If you turn the auto lights off and just turn the parking lights on, I'll bet the indicator comes on. The owners manual also states that it indicates the parking lights are on.

ddalder
05-05-11, 12:44 AM
Okay. Yes, it's the 'Lower' bulb that lights up when unlocked w/ the fob. i took a bunch of pictures but can't seem to get them to post on here. *sigh* Hate dealing with Dealerships.....
This would make sense because GM wouldn't design it to flash HID's when locking/unlocking the car. So this being the case, there is something else you should check...

When you have someone turn on the headlights, can you hear the relay click under the hood?

chazglenn3
05-05-11, 12:47 AM
There is an implied warranty in our state that says the car is safe when sold. No working headlights is not safe. I still think the selling dealer is obligated to repair the car.

ddalder
05-05-11, 12:49 AM
There is an implied warranty in our state that says the car is safe when sold. No working headlights is not safe. I still think the selling dealer is obligated to repair the car.
True enough, but sometimes it's still nice to figure out what's wrong so you can approach the dealer with a more educated position. I've won many battles with dealers because I've been able to provide the technical knowledge to show I'm not a pushover and I won't buy poor excuses.

2006BlueChip
05-05-11, 12:51 AM
yes. I checked the relays/fuses this morning when i got home from work. hood up, standing outside the car, i can hear them 'click'. I also swapped the 'accessory' relay into the 'low beam' relay's position - no change.
I just posted an album on my profile of what the lights look like in different scenarios.... geesh, this is frustrating.

ddalder
05-05-11, 12:59 AM
yes. I checked the relays/fuses this morning when i got home from work. hood up, standing outside the car, i can hear them 'click'. I also swapped the 'accessory' relay into the 'low beam' relay's position - no change.
I just posted an album on my profile of what the lights look like in different scenarios.... geesh, this is frustrating.
So the problem is clearly not with the headlamp control switch, IPM or relay. This really limits the possibilities. So here's the remaining possibilities...

There is a problem with the wiring between the under hood fuse block and the HID modules.
There is a problem with both HID ballasts.
There is a problem with both HID bulbs.
There is a bad ground between the HID modules and the body.

Another question... You mention you checked the fuse. Were you aware there is one fuse for each headlight? Each is 20A. Unless you have a background in troubleshooting, I would not recommend trying to test the HID modules. These produce dangerous voltages.

2006BlueChip
05-05-11, 01:14 AM
Posted an Album on my profile with Lighting scenarios.

ddalder
05-05-11, 01:43 AM
Posted an Album on my profile with Lighting scenarios.
Okay, so just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing, here is a depiction of your lights...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Miscellaneous/whip2.jpg

EChas3
05-05-11, 09:09 PM
The car pictured does not have HID because there are no headlight washers. They are little sprayers that pop out when activated.

2006BlueChip
05-06-11, 03:45 AM
Thanks Everyone for all the Help!

I have it figured out. After some intense investigation..... I found a blown fuse. And it wasn't in the fuse panel. There is an in-line fuse from the positive battery terminal connecting to the headlights. This leads me to believe that my lights are aftermarket..... A seperate relay is mounted on the fenderwell. As seen in the pictures I posted, all 3 (Bright, Dim and Fog) lamps have the HID looking bulbs. This probably should have been a clue. Again, I'm new to the product (STS), and am pretty mechanically inclined - so I guess I just need to dig-in. Thanks again everyone... prob saved some big $$$$$ from no trip to the dealer.

ddalder
05-06-11, 10:32 AM
Thanks Everyone for all the Help!

I have it figured out. After some intense investigation..... I found a blown fuse. And it wasn't in the fuse panel. There is an in-line fuse from the positive battery terminal connecting to the headlights. This leads me to believe that my lights are aftermarket..... A seperate relay is mounted on the fenderwell. As seen in the pictures I posted, all 3 (Bright, Dim and Fog) lamps have the HID looking bulbs. This probably should have been a clue. Again, I'm new to the product (STS), and am pretty mechanically inclined - so I guess I just need to dig-in. Thanks again everyone... prob saved some big $$$$$ from no trip to the dealer.
Glad you figured it out. There does seem to be something different with yours. The schematics don't show a relay outside of the under hood fuse block or an inline fuse. Regardless, I believe that all the STS's have the same "HID" looking lenses for low/high/fog. The way to know what GM originally installed is to look at the Service Parts Identification label. To find it, look in your trunk. There is a cover that flips up over top of your spare tire. It is attached to the underside of this cover. If you have TT6, TT7 or TT8, the car came with HID's from GM. If it doesn't have one of these three codes, your headlamps are standard halogen from the factory.

2006BlueChip
05-06-11, 09:48 PM
Glad you figured it out. There does seem to be something different with yours. The schematics don't show a relay outside of the under hood fuse block or an inline fuse. Regardless, I believe that all the STS's have the same "HID" looking lenses for low/high/fog. The way to know what GM originally installed is to look at the Service Parts Identification label. To find it, look in your trunk. There is a cover that flips up over top of your spare tire. It is attached to the underside of this cover. If you have TT6, TT7 or TT8, the car came with HID's from GM. If it doesn't have one of these three codes, your headlamps are standard halogen from the factory.

I looked on the 'said panel'.... no, none of those codes are on the list. So... aftermarket? I like them, and they are super effin bright - just sucks, because now, if something goes wrong, i don't have a resource to fix it. It's also hard to see down where the lights are, and I don't mean to sound uneducated ( I'm an engineer by trade - hahahah), but I was reading up... Is there a chance these are just Halogen, and not HID. I mean, they take the time to 'warm up' when turned on ( just a second or two) - is that a fair indicator?

EChas3
05-06-11, 10:03 PM
The focus may be off a bit, too. It is what it is. If you do have trouble, just replace them with Phillips like so many forum threads describe.

Enjoy!

ddalder
05-07-11, 12:57 AM
I looked on the 'said panel'.... no, none of those codes are on the list. So... aftermarket? I like them, and they are super effin bright - just sucks, because now, if something goes wrong, i don't have a resource to fix it. It's also hard to see down where the lights are, and I don't mean to sound uneducated ( I'm an engineer by trade - hahahah), but I was reading up... Is there a chance these are just Halogen, and not HID. I mean, they take the time to 'warm up' when turned on ( just a second or two) - is that a fair indicator?
Definitely aftermarket and sounds HID from your descripion. This would explain the relay and inline fuse which is not how GM integrates theirs. It's a little concerning that the fuse blew. There is a reason GM uses separate fuses for left and right headlamps. Hopefully this isn't a sign of some sort of problem. It would not be good to lose both sides on a dark road one night.