: vinyl top cleaning/ care

cadillac kevin
05-03-11, 10:47 PM
does anyone here have advice on what to clean a really dirty vinyl top with, and what to put on it to protect it once it is cleaned? my top always looks dirty and I'd like to know how to properly maintain it (besides washing it of course.)
below is a pic of the top. I'd almost say it was dyed a darker brown (the vinyl color under the trim is actually metallic brown) because of the big color difference. although the paint on the chrome trim does match the color of the top exactly, so I'm not sure what to think. is there any way to get the top to lighten up so it comes closer to matching its original color?

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae356/jetthreatkevin/cadillac/P4091201.jpg

pompste
05-04-11, 04:21 AM
I don`t know about cleaning it---but a product called "303" aerospace protectant is great for protection.
Perhaps just wash it as best as possible and be content with the color it is now---then the "303" or similar product for protection---it has sunscreen in it to prevent UV rays from fading/drying it out.
I use the 303 for my vinyl top on my '78 Deville and it works great!

SDCaddyLacky
05-04-11, 06:53 AM
Yup, 303 works great. You don't want to use any kind of silicone based solvents for the top, it slowly eats away at the plasticizers in the vinyl leading to cracking and fading.

I use it on my Fleetwood, and it works. It's also great for chrome.

guyrobert
05-05-11, 06:21 PM
+ 1 on the 303 products, I am using their fabric guard protectant on the roof of my Phaeton it is amazing!

CADforce69
05-05-11, 07:01 PM
I would try with engine cleaner. It works great with vinyl interior. My caddy had a lot of dirt on the dash and door panels; in fact I think they didnīt were cleaned in 40 years and it was the only thing that removed all the dirt. First Make a test in a less visible part of the vinyl to make sure this particular material does not suffer any damage.

When itīs clean you can apply the above product.

outsider
05-07-11, 08:09 PM
i use murphy's oil soap. works great and makes a nice shine. :)

sven914
05-07-11, 10:51 PM
^Thank you...

I also use Murphy's and have tried 303. The 303 will not restore the color or shine to your top and unless the top is new looking, 303 will leave it looking dry and dusty. Murphy's does not have any protectant, but will make the top look new. You might be able to mix the two to optimize the effects of both.

SDCaddyLacky
05-08-11, 01:29 AM
Ummm..303 does not leave vinyl looking dry and dusty, if anything it leaves a nice sheen on vinyl and it last for a long time. I use 303 on my top and it's perfect, it actually looks moisturized, not dry at all.

sven914
05-08-11, 01:35 AM
That wasn't my experience with it. I think it depends on how good your vinyl looks; 303 will keep it looking good, but it won't restore it back to former glory.