: Nitrogen in tires

ESCALADE132
05-03-11, 09:25 PM
I just had the dealer put nitrogen in all my tires, they charged me $24 and said it should ride better. AnHone on here have nitrogen in their tires and do you like it and what arebthe advantages.
Thanks

MrHolland
05-03-11, 10:26 PM
Ive considered nitrogen but havent done it yet. Ive never heard of it making your car ride better but it does keep the pressure more consistant which will give you better readings from the TPMS.

2007caddy
05-03-11, 10:56 PM
I have nitrogen in my tires, not sure about riding better or gas consumption betterment claims because I have always had Nitrogen installed....I can say that your tire pressure will be very consistent which is the only benefit I can vouch for with my non scientific observations....LOL....

TexFinn
05-03-11, 11:22 PM
Highly doubt there would be any other benefits than the already mentioned more consistent pressure. That's about it.

Definitely not worth it to me. Especially since the Escalade has TPMS, anyway.

fivepix
05-04-11, 10:10 AM
I just had nitrogen put in my summer wheels mostly to keep a consistent tire pressure. It's good if you live in an area where your have temperature fluctuations (cold/hot).

"Nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term."
Source: Nitrogen vs Air In Tires - Why Nitrogen in Tires - Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair-questions/4302788)

hcvone
05-04-11, 12:22 PM
Been doing it for years, going from PA to NY or the other way some times in the summer it can be 90-100 degrees and the tires with air can change 10 lbs, don't like driving at high speeds for hours with that much air pressure, with nitrogen I see 3-4 lb difference. I would not do it if I didn't drive the distances I do

skierjp
05-06-11, 11:39 AM
Biggest scam in the tire bussiness. If they don't do it for free don't get it.I have Nitrogen in mine from the dealer and I've seen 3 to 4 psi change when the tire heats up.

krieghoff
05-06-11, 12:27 PM
It help keeps the pressure close to what is it should be.

That is why they use it in NASCAR!

Dobiesdaddy
05-13-11, 04:40 PM
It will maintain pressure for a longer period of time and it's able to withstand temperature variations much better. Used it in aircraft tires for years!

gragravar
05-13-11, 11:48 PM
um, "air" is 78% nitrogen anyway.

oh, and Dobiesdaddy, are you a fellow allroad owner too? name looks familiar from over on QW.

Nice Ride
04-05-12, 09:32 PM
Had it done on my 09 esv.
1st, the machine was hooked up to all 4 tires, I stayed in the truck while it was done.
All tires were deflated automatically from the machine.
Then all tires were re-inflated to the requested 42 lbs.
The guy started unhooking the machine when I informed him it was suppose to purge the tires, fill, then purge again then fill. He said it did, I said NOT... So he ran it again.
They charged $40-
Before I left, I asked him why he put the same tire caps back on, he said Oh, most people don't want the green ones. Yeah right...
So he reluctantly located 4 Green caps and I was on my way.

The machine was not accurate at filling all 4 tires to the same psi. It was off 2 lbs on one tire and 3 on the other. He could have let out too much air by manually checking pressure after he removed the machine.

After about several days of driving in the winter, the tps system showed 3 to 4 lbs increase after driving for a while.

Things to think about....
The machine " makes nitrogen", or if you prefer removes oxygen..... Don't expect to see a big nitrogen tank somewhere, it does not exist.... My nickname for the machine is snake oil....

I waited till about 8:00 pm, took out my air compressor, topped all tires to about 44, 45.... Then one by one let air out a littlle at a time till the dic read 42 for each tire ( had help with my 9 year old yell when it was time.

Drove around for the next few days, checking dic often, it was nice to see all tires within 10 to 15 min would all be the same....
The reason I recommend you wait till the evening unless you have a garage, the tires that are in the sun will be hotter, thus different pressure...

End result of testing, $10.00 for each green cap for what its worth.... I sort of like the Green, gives the ride a fresh look....... :)

patmack
04-06-12, 08:36 AM
I was going to post that "air" is mostly nitorgen anyway but Grag beat me to it...
Nice ride, Glad to hear your going green:histeric:

Nice Ride
04-06-12, 08:50 AM
I just had nitrogen put in my summer wheels mostly to keep a consistent tire pressure. It's good if you live in an area where your have temperature fluctuations (cold/hot).

"Nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term."
Source: Nitrogen vs Air In Tires - Why Nitrogen in Tires - Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair-questions/4302788)

Hmmmm... So...... That means if we just keep topping off throught the year with air, cough, cough.... Then all the oxygen should leak out first and we will be left with pure nitrogen....

Bah humbug.... Snake Oil I say......

quattrotman
04-07-12, 01:04 AM
It help keeps the pressure close to what is it should be.

That is why they use it in NASCAR!

When racing, tires do go through extreme torture and heat...as with airplane tires. I would argue the need for this in an escalade where 99% of its drivers drive speed limits and are just driving around town. It's a high performance thing when high speed driving for long periods. Tires tend to heat up a lot under those conditions. A Lambo on the autobahn doing 200mph for 5-10 min or more would be a good candidate for nitrogen in the tires...an escalade cruising down the interstat at 65 not so much. Just my opinion but I would say it's a bit of a waste of money on an SUV.

imca35
04-08-12, 10:01 AM
The culprit for rising pressures with "air compresor" air is moisture... the nitrogen is "dry" if you could "dry" the air from your compressor you wold see the same lpressure change as nitrogen. All gasses follow the same laws of chemistry.. pv=nrt.