: 07 escalade rough idle

xdavid1999
05-03-11, 04:57 PM
My escalade just start to get a rough idle weather its in park or drive. You really notice it when its in park. I've heard change spark plugs and the cam shaft sensor? Going to change plugs this weekend and install a new sensor. Any other ideas? 87 octain not crappy gas.

DDUBB
05-04-11, 01:34 PM
I am experiencing the exact same issue on my 08. Im taking it to the dealer next monday to get serviced. I have heard that its possibly an injector issue. I will make sure and reply with anything that might be helpful to you once I get my truck back. Hopefully they can fix the issue at hand.

hcvone
05-05-11, 08:51 AM
91 octane per the owners manual, and a bottle of Techron in the tank every 5k miles and your truck will run trouble free for many years, change sparks plugs and wires at 50k, check air filters and t-body and clean as needed. If all that was not done a fuel system pressure cleaning will get all the junk out. :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-06-11, 02:08 PM
DDUBB, I hope the dealer is able to resolve the issue for you. Thank you for keeping us updated as well.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

xdavid1999
05-07-11, 03:16 PM
Where is the cam sensor located at on my 07?

xdavid1999
05-07-11, 10:53 PM
UPDATE!!! New spark plugs and changed out the cam sensor... Nothing still has a rough idol. Went and had the fuel system cleaned and added a booster. Nothing! Not sure what to do now?

xdavid1999
05-07-11, 10:57 PM
If anyone else is thinking of changing out the cam sensor then good luck! Mine was stuck, the rubber was so expanded inside the houseing that it broke in pieces as I was trying to pull it out. After an hour of fighting it, it finally came out. The new one slid in with no problem.

xdavid1999
06-13-11, 01:27 PM
Dealership said nothing is wrong with my escalade???? But they did notice the rough idol!!! WTF

LeftLane
06-13-11, 02:42 PM
REMOVE the throttle body and clean it with carb cleaner.Bet you money that will more than likely fix your ruff idle.Take off the intake tube between the airbox and throttle body. Next take off the 4 bolts that holds the throttle body on.If I remember right there is a coolant hose going to the throttle body also. Clamp that off with a pair of small vise grips (mild clamp.Don't clamp crazy tight as you might hurt your hose) or stick the back side of a Sharpie marker in the hose to keep the coolant from leaking out. Spray the t/body with carb cleaner and get a paper towel and push open the t/body blade and the and wipe the black carbon off the t/body blade.Re install every thing in reverse and run the car for about 20/30 miles and let the pcm relearn the t/body position. The idle will be blame when you first put it back together,it will get better as the pcm relearns the t/body position,in about 20/30 miles sometime sooner.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-13-11, 05:26 PM
Xdavid1999,

I would like to take a look into this for you. Could you please send me your full contact information? I will also need your VIN and current mileage.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

Braknglases07
06-13-11, 09:43 PM
I have an 07 with the same problem I have been to 6 dealers all throughout the US and all of them say that its a big block engine and its suppose to idle rough! I say Bullshit my mom has a newer ext and you can't even tell that hers is running. I have changed the plugs and wires, done 2 throttle body cleanings cleaned mas air flow sensor run numerous bottles of every kind of injector cleaner.. THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM FOLKS AND NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING TO HELP US WITH THIS ISSUE. people replace their cam sensors and still no luck.. What is this problem really caused from??

Has Anyone ever had their vehicles rough idle FIXED??

Its very frustrating. Mine has stalled out before

xdavid1999
06-15-11, 11:25 AM
I sent my info to you but I think it might of went to your customer service generic email? Not sure if it went to you or not?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-15-11, 01:59 PM
xdavid1999,

I apologize; the forum did not tell me I had any new private messages. I just looked at it. I will need your full name, address and phone number to set up a case for you.

Thank you

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

xdavid1999
06-16-11, 11:26 AM
I have also started another thread for the shifting of my transmisson that the dealer said there is nothing wrong with as well if you have the time to look into that one? heres the link:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/229080-07-escalade-shifts-too-fast-any.html

dhsmith
06-26-11, 05:11 PM
I have an 07 that just started having this problem at 58,000 miles. Tried different fuel, injector cleaner, but no luck. Were you able to find a fix yet? Thanks for the help.

Naf
06-27-11, 05:19 AM
So, i read into your problem, I have a problem with what was mentioned...Better yet, LACK of what was mentioned...

Does it vibrate more with the AC on vs off?

What injector cleaner did you use and how many bottles?

Did you clean the MAF sensor? Is your air fitler clean? Have you changed the sparkplugs/wires?

What is your economy at 55mph?

As for your shiftin, the TCM has adaptive shifting parameters, and will be hard till you fix the engines issues...

Also a quick trick is to remove the battery for 5 mins. This resets the ecm and tcm, kinda like a reflash, but its free...

xdavid1999
06-28-11, 12:06 PM
No fix and no help from Cadillac customer service.... Been waiting for almost a week for a phone call back that was supose to be returned last wednesday.... There is about 56k on my 07 escalade now. I pulled the throttle body off last week to clean it. Nasty dirty! Cleaned it with carb cleaner and made it spotless. I got my fuel millage back. Went from 13.6 back up to 14.6. Good thing! But still got a rough idol. So here is what I've done so far that hasn't worked...

Fuel system flush and clean
plugs
87 to 89
cam shaft sensor
throttle body cleaned
octain booster
fuel additives: lucas, chevron,

Not sure what to do next except try a differant dealership? Yes i've even tried putting on an after market intake with a throttle body spacer with in the last 100 miles. still nothing.

darkknight1999
06-29-11, 12:25 AM
Why are you adding octain booster with 87 or 89 octain gas?? Just buy good gas. It will be better for your truck than adding booster to crappy gas. Crappy in = crappy out...

As it turns out, I have this same problem and I'll be tackling it in the coming weeks.

I plan on doing all of the following at the same time:
Oil Change (Royal Purple, because its just that much better)
Spark plugs (Iridium)
Wires (10mm)
Coil packs (OEM, unless I can find better units for greater spark and burn)
Air filter (K&N)
Clean the throttle body (I might add a spacer while I'm at it)
Cam shaft sensor (Stock unit I guess... not sure if they make an aftermarket unit)
Serpentine Belt (a good one... lol)
Idler Pulley
Manifold Pressure (MAP) Sensor
O2 sensors (Exhaust... once I figure out how many I need... lol it seems like I need 4 (2 upstream /2 aft)
Engine grounding (I'll buy high grade car audio wire and make the cables myself)
Power cables (I'll buy high grade car audio wire and make the cables myself)
Optima or Kinetik battery
Upper and lower radiator hoses
Thermostat (with a lower temp setting)

Once I get this all purchased I'll spend a day installing it all. After I get this all installed Im going to make an appointment to get the transmission and the ECU updated at the dealer. Then once that is completed I'm going to purchase and load new tuner software... something like "DiabloSport Predator Tuner", but I still need to research this a little more.

We shall see. I'm just guessing here... but I would bet my hard earned money its an air/fuel map that is off. When the truck was new that programming was fine, but as the truck ages those maps will slowly become not optimal for the truck, hence the rough idle. You end up with dirty parts that just can't preform as well as the could when they were new. So it needs newer air/fuel maps. You can get a DiabloSport Predator Tuner type deal or you can go to the dyno and have them change the maps... however AWD dyno's can be both hard to find and expensive. Although I know someone that has a full set of DynaPacks but I'll try the DiabloSport Predator Tuner first before I call him up. ;) He's not cheap.

I'll end up starting a thread when I do all this, I'll take pictures and write a how-to for those doing their own work.

Naf
06-29-11, 03:38 AM
No fix and no help from Cadillac customer service.... Been waiting for almost a week for a phone call back that was supose to be returned last wednesday.... There is about 56k on my 07 escalade now. I pulled the throttle body off last week to clean it. Nasty dirty! Cleaned it with carb cleaner and made it spotless. I got my fuel millage back. Went from 13.6 back up to 14.6. Good thing! But still got a rough idol. So here is what I've done so far that hasn't worked...

Fuel system flush and clean
plugs
87 to 89
cam shaft sensor
throttle body cleaned
octain booster
fuel additives: lucas, chevron,

Not sure what to do next except try a differant dealership? Yes i've even tried putting on an after market intake with a throttle body spacer with in the last 100 miles. still nothing.

Ok, speakin from experience you will need to do this little trick to also help clean out your intake manifold...

Remove the tube from the airbox but keep the MAF connected. Start up the car and allow it to idle. Now here is the tricky part, you need to get WD40 and put the red extention pipe on it. Place the nossle through the screen of the maf NOT hittin any of the vital parts, and spray in short bursts for 3 secs. Now find something and raise the rpm to 1500, and do the same but a little longer duration on the spray bursts...

Now allow the engine to idle a little longer and then turn off.

Lastly you will need to also clean the MAF but gently and slowly...Google techniques...

Now that should help, clean your intake...

I want you to take a look at your wires and plugs next. If they show signs of fatige or they just that dirty, please place with bosch 4508 plugs and any wire set EXCEPT MSDs. Morosso is my fav.

Now after you do everything, please reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery for 5 mins

This should help smooth out your idle

xdavid1999
06-29-11, 11:26 AM
That sounds like the next trick... Thanks I will try it this weekend. AND JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS.... I FINALLY got a call back from Cadillac customer service yesterday. She says there going to have to open a technical claim now??? I'll keep everyone posted.

DancingPaul
07-01-11, 04:24 PM
mine does this too

dhsmith
07-01-11, 06:54 PM
Folks a little more info on the issue with my Escalade. After the Escalade has set for several hours, it will start and run well...for 45 minutes or so. Then it will have a very difficult time idling and surges as slow speeds. As you pick up speed, it smooths out. If I shut it off, it will not start for several hours, then will start and run smooth. Did some troubleshooting today with a mechanic who hooked up a computer to the SUV. We found some interesting readings...Engine Coolant Temp (-40), CAM RPM Speed (0)...even though we were cranking the engine, Throttle position (31% open...even though the throttle was closed). In short, there were a whole bunch of readings like that which made no sense at all. Several of the liquids all registered -40 degrees..even though it was 80 degrees here and the SUV had been run for 2.5 hours straight. He is tracing down the wiring diagrams to see if there is a corroded sensor, loose or broken wire, etc. He is convinced is has nothing to do with changing spark plugs, cleaning throttle body, replacing cam sensor, fuel pressure regulator, using fuel injector cleaner etc. In his opinion, the electronic on board computer is compensating for conditions that do not exist. It thinks its cold out, the car thinks the throttle is being opened, it thinks the cam shaft is not spinning, etc. He said, the reason it will start after several hours, is that the car will not be using the "last known readings", but standard values. The car keeps the last known readings at shutdown in short term memory for a quick restart..but after it has set for several hours, it will start with a fresh set of baseline readings and thus start and run fine...but from that point on, it begins to provide the wrong fuel/air ratio, etc because of problems from one or more sensors.

Anyway, that is his take..he is still tracing down the diagrams..more to follow.

SUV: 2007 Escalade, 58,400 miles...problem started at 57,800 miles.

darkknight1999
07-02-11, 11:01 PM
I had an 98 Olds Intrigue some years back, that had a similar problem... I'm trying to remember what I did to fix it... I'll have to ask my brother, him and I figured it out one night.

wine1959
07-14-11, 11:07 PM
I have a 2003 Esclade that starting idleing rough only after the battery went dead last week. This has happen once before and it has corrected itself in a couple of days of short driving trips BUT this time it hasn't corrected itself. I'll clean and check air filter, throttle body and anything else I can this weekend and see if it corrects itself. Stay tuned!:cool2:

jt321
07-15-11, 03:20 AM
Folks a little more info on the issue with my Escalade. After the Escalade has set for several hours, it will start and run well...for 45 minutes or so. Then it will have a very difficult time idling and surges as slow speeds. As you pick up speed, it smooths out. If I shut it off, it will not start for several hours, then will start and run smooth. Did some troubleshooting today with a mechanic who hooked up a computer to the SUV. We found some interesting readings...Engine Coolant Temp (-40), CAM RPM Speed (0)...even though we were cranking the engine, Throttle position (31% open...even though the throttle was closed). In short, there were a whole bunch of readings like that which made no sense at all. Several of the liquids all registered -40 degrees..even though it was 80 degrees here and the SUV had been run for 2.5 hours straight. He is tracing down the wiring diagrams to see if there is a corroded sensor, loose or broken wire, etc. He is convinced is has nothing to do with changing spark plugs, cleaning throttle body, replacing cam sensor, fuel pressure regulator, using fuel injector cleaner etc. In his opinion, the electronic on board computer is compensating for conditions that do not exist. It thinks its cold out, the car thinks the throttle is being opened, it thinks the cam shaft is not spinning, etc. He said, the reason it will start after several hours, is that the car will not be using the "last known readings", but standard values. The car keeps the last known readings at shutdown in short term memory for a quick restart..but after it has set for several hours, it will start with a fresh set of baseline readings and thus start and run fine...but from that point on, it begins to provide the wrong fuel/air ratio, etc because of problems from one or more sensors.

Anyway, that is his take..he is still tracing down the diagrams..more to follow.

SUV: 2007 Escalade, 58,400 miles...problem started at 57,800 miles.

Have them check the camshaft actuator...

wine1959
08-21-11, 10:33 PM
Ok fixed rough idle problem. Cleaned throttle body with carb cleaner and check air filter. Started up and has been running great ever since. Cleaning the throttle body WAS the trick!:D

motorwerks
11-19-11, 06:37 AM
I have the same problem with my recently purchased Escalade Platinum. The idiot dealer (Serra Cadillac in Washington Township, MI), said that they could find nothing wrong with it. WTF???!!

I've owned several Mercedes, BMWs, Audis, etc. Never had such crappy customer service. You KNOW there's something wrong when passengers complain of the idle quality. Piss poor service on an $85000 vehicle.

Satish Tummala
Bloomfield Hills, MI

07maralade
11-19-11, 10:27 PM
Lol, funny you mention Serra. I've also had friends that went from the OC area that went from Euro cars to a Cadillac and say the lack of service from them.

Rolex
11-21-11, 12:12 PM
Ok fixed rough idle problem. Cleaned throttle body with carb cleaner and check air filter. Started up and has been running great ever since. Cleaning the throttle body WAS the trick!:D

Jut an FYI to those with a rough idle: this is probably your fix. Though I will say they make a specific throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner). This is an easy do it yourself project, and it can be done without removing the throttle body.

Take off the air intake from the throttle body. Have someone stand on the gas pedal (with the vehicle NOT running) to open the intake valve on the TB. Place a lint free rag behind the valve to catch any run-off spray. Then thoroughly spray the throttle body to remove all carbon/dirt built up. Some of the build up may require using your finger tip to "scrub" it loose.

When you've used the entire can of spray and/or are satisfied it's spick-and-span, remove the rag from behind the valve and reinstall the air intake tube. Make sure the air tube is secured tightly. This is a good opportunity to place in a clean air filter, or to clean and recharge your K&N style air filter.

I've found this will help almost all rough idle problems on fuel injected vehicles. Those that don't find this helpful should then try dumping a can of Seafoam into their fuel tank to clean their injectors. Hope that helps.

poopis
12-04-11, 06:28 AM
did anyone try cleaning their injectors