: Advice, please: 4.9 Cruise Control Cable Stuck

area310dude
05-03-11, 01:11 PM
Hi Fellow cadillac nuts,

I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster, from Los Angeles, CA with a '92 Seville, 4.9 liter.

I noticed that my cruise control cable is very tight on the throttle lever side and is binding the throttle body pulley so it cannot fully close the butterfly valves. I want to remove the cable, but I cannot find an easy way to do that. At the end of the cable is a small metal peg that is inserted into a hole on the pulley wheel, but there is not much clearance to push it out. I'm tempted to just cut the cable, since it is probably ruined anyway. I never used cruise before either, and I noticed it was disconnected from the vacuum servo side as well (probably the previous owner from 5 years ago had some kind of cruise problem, originally).

Would you have any any advice on how to remove or replace this cable? My Google and forum searching hasn't revealed much to me. The 1992 Seville FSM doesn't even cover this in any detail because I guess it is too basic a problem. THANKS!

ehall
05-03-11, 01:16 PM
The peg at the end of the cable is a small cylindrical block, just loosen the tension and slide the peg sideways to remove it. You can loosen the cruise control assembly to get some slack on it

area310dude
05-03-11, 01:28 PM
The peg at the end of the cable is a small cylindrical block, just loosen the tension and slide the peg sideways to remove it. You can loosen the cruise control assembly to get some slack on it

Slide the peg using what? Loosen the cruise control assembly with what, and where?

I already said there is not much clearance to push anything. I can barely slide a screwdriver blade between the pulley wheel for the cruise control and the pulley wheel for the accelerator cable. It almost looks like I need something small and L-shaped (like a dental pick) to push it out.

Sevillian273
05-03-11, 01:48 PM
If the cable is disconnected at the servo end, it should move freely. I suspect the cable is rusted inside.

Open the throttle all the way and hold it there. This will bring the 'peg' up closer to you and will put enough slack on the cable so that you can work with it. You need to grab the cable close to the peg, rotate it 90 degrees. and then slide it away from you and out of the lever assembly. No tools are needed.

area310dude
05-03-11, 02:04 PM
rotate it 90 degrees. and then slide it away from you and out of the lever assembly. No tools are needed.

Rotate what 90 degrees? If the peg is inside a hole and the cable is very taught even with the throttle pushed open (which it is), nothing can be rotated.

By the way, what is that "paper clip" looking thing that is on the cruise control pulley wheel? Is that some kind of slack adjuster?

ehall
05-03-11, 02:16 PM
I just pulled the same thing off a 4.9 last week it's not hard. Use your noggin. Find a way to hold the throttle open (a stick or a screwdriver handle?) then use needle nose to grasp the cable at the lug end and slide it off

Sevillian273
05-03-11, 02:34 PM
How can the cable be fully taught with the throttle all the way open? The throttle would be nearly floored at all times...

Pretend the cable (the end near the peg) is the minute hand on a clock and the peg is the center of the clock. Now rotate the minute hand backwards from 3 to 12 o clock. Now the peg can be slid out of the hole. Ive done this more than 10 times and I'm not a magician. One hand holds the throttle open while the other works the peg out via the cable.

The paper clip is the CC return spring.

area310dude
05-03-11, 02:59 PM
How can the cable be fully taught with the throttle all the way open? The throttle would be nearly floored at all times...
Pretend the cable (the end near the peg) is the minute hand on a clock and the peg is the center of the clock. Now rotate the minute hand backwards from 3 to 12 o clock. Now the peg can be slid out of the hole. Ive done this more than 10 times and I'm not a magician. One hand holds the throttle open while the other works the peg out via the cable.
The paper clip is the CC return spring.

The cruise control cable is slightly less tight when the throttle is opened, but not much slack to allow a lot of rotation like you described.

The cruise control cable is wrapped completely around the pulley wheel so its final attachment point is almost at the middle of the wheel where the CC return spring is, instead of tangent to the wheel edge (like with the accelerator cable). I can't push or pull the CC cable at all inside the sleeve on the throttle body side. In contrast, the servo side is completely slack. Maybe the cable is rusted or frayed inside the sleeve, I can't really say.

Sorry to bother you all with this stupid problem, I think I am marginally mechanically competent (just replaced the tricky EGR valve and most of the cracked vacuum connectors on the TB myself!)

Sevillian273
05-03-11, 03:06 PM
The EGR valve is 10x harder in my opinion. Especially with only basic hand tools! I had to bend a 9/16 wrench with a torch to get mine out.

I'd say cut the cable if it wont slide within the sleeve. It's useless at that point. Probably why the p/o disconnected it from the servo. It has likely rusted worse since then.