: 2009 CTS-V repo for sale - your thoughts?

DPL
05-03-11, 12:32 PM
Long time V1 owner, wanting to move up and I found a 2009 thunder grey fully loaded V with 2500 miles. Catch is its being sold by a broker and he bought it at a repo auction. There's a few nicks and chips, one small repairable dent, as well as air intake, headers, exhaust and eibachs. All options sans sunroof. Pretty much exactly what I have been looking for (wanted white but hey, chromaflair is good too).

Catch is I am not sure about the whole repo thing. The VIN is below if anyone can look that up. Would certainly appreciate your feedback. Asking price is $52k.

1g6dn57p390169612

Thanks!!!

Cub Cadet
05-03-11, 12:37 PM
Is it a 6spd manual? If so, the price is right. If it is an automatic, pricing should be down closer to $48k.

DPL
05-03-11, 12:41 PM
Yes, definitely manual - I couldn't see myself going from my current V1 to an auto V2!

Domsz06
05-03-11, 12:46 PM
little high IMO. but everything is fixable. I know the manuals are worth more, but there are a lot of cars not moving on cars.com...

it's all in what you want. All of these cars have been beat on, well ok maybe not all. they are a good car, see if you can make sure it wasn't modded so it still has it's warranty and then go for it.

musclesbmf
05-03-11, 12:50 PM
I think the price is too high, especially if you have to do some repairs. I think you could get a CPO for that price. Go check out Edmunds.com for an appraisal value. There is no money in the mods that are done to the car.

Mark

CTSV4now
05-03-11, 12:52 PM
How much would it cost to convert an automatic car to manual? ballpark.

thebigjimsho
05-03-11, 01:01 PM
That price is OK for a used. For a repo? No...

Domsz06
05-03-11, 01:09 PM

2 grand for a tranny (prob more)
500 for a clutch
200 for a slave assembly
2-500 for the pedals (less if you could find a salavage)
500 ish for the wiring and what not you would need
500 in misc parts
500 for any tune issues if you have to retune your comuter (not sure on that one)

your looking at 4500-5500 i'd bet.

Domsz06
05-03-11, 01:10 PM

500 for a clutch
200 for a slave assembly
500 in misc parts
500 for any tune issues if you have to retune your comuter (not sure on that one)

your looking at 4500-5500 i'd bet. plus labor of a shop at 100 an hr.

PremierJosh
05-03-11, 01:39 PM
Its to high for a repo with any issues.

CTSV4now
05-03-11, 01:57 PM
500 for a clutch
200 for a slave assembly
500 in misc parts

your looking at 4500-5500 i'd bet. plus labor of a shop at 100 an hr.

Less whatever you can sell the auto tranny for. Interesting what the price differences are between a manual and auto in the used market.

thebigjimsho
05-03-11, 02:01 PM
There will be a number of good, used Vs coming out that will cost less and be less of a headache and that won't require a ridiculous swap...

jb_bgg
05-03-11, 02:07 PM
I think it's high as well. Got my 09 manual bone stock mid-$40K a month ago from a private party. Higher mileage (25K), but one owner, not beat to hell, new tires, only minor unavoidable road rash (front bumper, rear forward wheel wells, etc.) Plenty of low mileage automatics low $40K, but with only 535 manuals built in '09 they will fetch a bit of a premium. To me a repo with mods and minor obivous body damage could mean driven hard, put away wet, and may be much more significant issues "behind the kimono" that isn't as obvious. I'd keep looking...

DPL
05-03-11, 02:07 PM
The swap talk is purely conversational...I would never do it. The thought I have with a repo is I really don't know what to trust about the cars history. But it only has 2500 miles so how much history could it have?

thebigjimsho
05-03-11, 02:41 PM
Have you ever driven a rental?

DPL
05-03-11, 03:21 PM
My thoughts exactly (driven hard and put away wet).

And ya, I've driven plenty of rentals... :) Excellent analogy

e6t
05-03-11, 03:52 PM
The swap talk is purely conversational...I would never do it. The thought I have with a repo is I really don't know what to trust about the cars history. But it only has 2500 miles so how much history could it have?

10,000 1/4s.

Teutonaddict
05-03-11, 05:03 PM
Have you ever driven a rental?

bigjim, more often than not, when I'm laughing into my computer monitor, it's something you've posted. Thanks for the levity.

rjoffe
05-03-11, 05:08 PM
Catch is its being sold by a broker and he bought it at a repo auction.

I was researching this same vehicle last week. There are engine mods involved above and beyond the bolt on's you mentioned. What was done is unknown. This left me thinking that this car could have had just about anything done to it, and I would be afraid to open it up knowing it could leave me stranded at any point. Add to that that the local Caddy dealer said they would not warranty anything having to do with the engine, and I decided to leave it.

I set up a picture thread to see if anyone could identify it last week, and no one could. It has been moved from Arizona to Vegas and then to Utah. The VIN came back no warranty work done, outstanding recall (which they all had), and was sold up in Michigan.

Hope that helps you make a decision.

Ron

thatcoder
05-04-11, 08:46 AM
not really.. a repo sounds like someone that faced hardship and had the car taken from them.. u might be walking away from a deal.

Domsz06
05-04-11, 09:38 AM
also with no rims add another 2k to the price

aj660
05-04-11, 09:48 AM
A repo does'nt mean Salvage title. Maybe the person lost their job etc.. I'd jump on that car if you can get it for mid-upper $40s. 2500 miles!!! Not a big deal that the car has some minor dings etc; I doubt the owner went 4 wheelin with it.

I would pay to have the car checked out and negotiate from there.

aj660
05-04-11, 09:56 AM
I was researching this same vehicle last week. There are engine mods involved above and beyond the bolt on's you mentioned. What was done is unknown. This left me thinking that this car could have had just about anything done to it
Ron

This might not be a bad thing.. Maybe just a simple upper or lower pulley. The car might be perfect for the right buyer at the right price.

rjoffe
05-04-11, 10:42 AM
I agree that at the right price it should go. The only real issue I had with the repo is that you can't really talk to the previous owner to see what was done to it. My price point was mid 40's just because of the unknown mods.

aj660
05-04-11, 11:11 AM
It shouldn't be too difficult to find out what was done to the car. Maybe you can find out who the owner was; I assume there was only one owner...

I'd have it checked out.. Have a copy of the title faxed to you.

DPL
05-04-11, 11:53 AM
rjoffe, when you say researching the car, did you actually see it?

rjoffe
05-04-11, 03:05 PM
No,

I spent time on the phone, email with the sellers. I asked Luke to do some research on the VIN. I determined that there were unknown motor mods, and I really could not live with that at the price they were willing let it go for. They did tell me that it was up for sale last Friday at auction, obviously it did not sell there.