: Radio Station Memory

bbjorklund99
05-02-11, 10:43 AM
Anybody on this forum ever have problems with losing saved radio stations? I have had the problem twice in the last 3 weeks. I am not sure what is happening but both time it happened after my wife had driven the car. The first time she took my daughter on a shopping trip to a town about 80 miles from home. My daughter was messing with the radio so I figured she did something she shouldn't have and this caused the radio stations to disappear. Today I got in the car and headed to work and I found the same problem. My wife swears that she did nothing with the radio stations except she said she turned the tuning knob to select a different station. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this to happening?

Thanks,

Brad

Neutrocuted
05-03-11, 12:51 AM
When I started having issues with a lot of weird electrical things going on in my CTS I discovered that my battery was shot. It started off with just 1 little occasional annoyance, then it slowly ramped-up to more and more little stuff. After many weeks of dealing with windows changing directions on auto up, sun roof not closing necessitating re-programming, radio memory needing to be reset once or twice a week and doors occasionally not locking remotely, it just suddenly wouldn't start one day. I jumped it and it went a few days then it died again. Bought a new battery and like magic, all of my electrical problems disappeared.

Get your battery tested, or if you know it's marginal, get a new one. These cars really like their juice and get cranky when they don't get enough!

Good Luck

Cadillac_STS
05-03-11, 01:39 AM
Maybe it has to do with having two mem settings, one for you, and one for your wife?

or it could be the ABC button, which gives you additional list, or the Auto Scan button is pressed.

bbjorklund99
05-03-11, 10:52 AM
Thanks Guys! STS the two times is happened makes me think that is has something to do with the switch between Driver 1 and Driver 2 but the fact that it has only happened twice since I bought the car makes me suspicious that it is something else. The radio stations disappear and are not under either drivers settings. Neutrocuted, I think you might be on to something with the battery. I did get a message one day after working in the garage that the battery voltage was low. I did not have any problem starting the car but I had not been running the battery that long that I would have thought I would have received the message. Since I just bought the car and it is several years old and it now 47,000 miles on it there is a good chance that the battery is not up to snuff. With as many gadgets as these unit have it certainly is important to have a good battery. I have not had any issues with starting but that does not mean anything since I bought the car at the end of march and it has been in a heated garage every night since I bought it. Thanks for the advice guys. I will replace the battery just for good measure. If that does not work I will look elsewhere. I know I had a similar problem with my boat where every few starts my GPS would quit from the voltage drop when I would start my boat. The battery did not have problem starting the boat but it was just low enough that it would drop enough voltage to rob the GPS of the needed power to stay operational.

Is that anything I need to know about replacing the battery other than the obvious of unhooking the negative post than the positive post and connecting the positive post and than the negative post? I guess I am asking if I need to do anything out of the ordinary other than replace the battery?

Thanks,

Brad

KRSTS
05-03-11, 02:07 PM
You have to "re-learn" the express up & down for the power windows. Your manual will tell you how to do it. Basically you run them all the way down and then all the way up.

bbjorklund99
05-03-11, 04:13 PM
Thanks KRSTS. I appreciate the information. I hope that is the only problem I run into.

EChas3
05-03-11, 10:31 PM
Thanks to our V-Series Brethern. (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/157174-replacing-car-battery-other-than-oem.html)

sapien
05-10-11, 12:33 AM
I had this exact problem occur several times (not every time my wife drove the car, just once in awhile randomly) and voila, it went away when the cold weather killed the old battery and I put in a new one.

Like the link above I also recommend a size 78 aftermarket battery, they're less expensive than the OEM size 101 and have better CCA ratings.

Lagging Larry
05-10-11, 11:57 PM
I had the same "forgot the radio stations" problem, and never did track down what was causing it. But it only happened after the wife drove the car, and not all of the time.

Changed the battery about a year ago, and the problem hasn't come back. But I also had the dealer upgrade the computer software, so I could have been either.

I went with a direct replacement for the factory battery from Interstate -- didn't like the way that the other batteries "sorta" fit.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/183295-diehard-battery-2006-sts-need-buying-3.html#post2284663

KRSTS
05-11-11, 10:58 AM
I also put in an interstate exact replacement over ayear ago. Have never had a problem since. Battery is also an 84 month battery with full replacement for the first three years.

Lagging Larry
05-11-11, 02:46 PM
Brad ... Forgot to ask. What model radio do you have? Mine is the 6 CD + NAV + Bose system. I've seen reports all over the place where radios have random "senior moments," but I've never seen any definitive "this was the cause" postings.

Now I'm wondering if this happens with all of the radios, or just one specific model.

Neutrocuted
05-12-11, 02:07 AM
Brad ... Forgot to ask. What model radio do you have? Mine is the 6 CD + NAV + Bose system. I've seen reports all over the place where radios have random "senior moments," but I've never seen any definitive "this was the cause" postings.

Now I'm wondering if this happens with all of the radios, or just one specific model.

Just to be clear, my CTS did not have Nav, it had the standard 1" x 4" orange screen. I believe when the battery voltage starts going low, they all start experiencing issues. In older cars, and I've had plenty, you ran the battery until the engine wouldn't crank... and, you got a lot of warning signs, slow cranking, dim lights, weak horn, stuff like that. Now the times and the signs have changed. The computer controls everything and wants all its due voltage. If it doesn't get what it wants it begins to rebel!

bbjorklund99
05-14-11, 02:02 PM

Larry,

I have the same radio as you. The 6D + Nav Bose System

Brad

LewisR
05-15-11, 01:07 PM
I have an '09 STS with 6 CD + Nav + Bose. I got the car slightly used in '09, when my '06 came off lease (almost the same car, but RWD now vs AWD in the '06). When I got the car, the battery was dead (well, it was discharged on the lot, the dealer charged it, I drove the car for two days, and the battery finally kicked). The car went to another dealership for the battery swap, so I assumed the replacement was the correct one. Since we got the car, though, every single time my wife takes it with her key fob, I lose my stations. It's gotten to be such an annoyance that I only set four stations in the radio, and expect to have to reset the EQ in addition to the station memory every time she takes it. I've just never mentioned it to the dealer, because on the rare occasions when it's been in for service, I've forgotten about it.

AllWheelEric
05-15-11, 06:50 PM
I've come to live with this problem. Driver 2 radio presets periodically over-write those of Driver 1. When you know it's going to happen, you just plan accordingly. It's a lot cheaper than a new head unit, and less hassle than arguing for a warranty replacement (which might not fix the problem). Poor quality, though.

06 STS
12-16-11, 03:07 PM
I also had this problem a few weeks ago. Wife took the car. Took a spare remote (programed for remote 3). When she got back - all my preset stations were gone. I checked both driver settings - the stations were gone. I also noticed a few months prior - when I would go from radio to CD it would take minutes for the CD to kick in and play. And none of the 6 disc's were marked (MP3 or so on).

I made sure to reprogram everything under driver 1. Everything seems better and the cds kick in quicker. But I am waiting for it to happen again.