: Most reliable caddy

thomas22
05-01-11, 10:15 PM
As the title says im looking for the most reliable cadillac and why its more reliable than other years and models? Im only 18 years old but i have my mind and heart stuck on cadillacs, i love them and I cant see my self happily driving any other car out there. I work full time but im young so I don't have the salary an older full time working person has, this is why im looking for more reliable side and a caddy I can have for 5 years or so.

drewsdeville
05-01-11, 10:24 PM
Many will have their own opinions. I find '88-'89 c-bodies powered by the TBI 4.5 to be the least troublesome in their old age. But that's just it, they are all in their old age now.

Ranger
05-01-11, 10:43 PM
Engine wise, I'd say the 4.9 was one of the most reliable and had a respectable 200 HP. They where used in the Devilles up until 1995.

cadillac kevin
05-01-11, 10:58 PM
go for something with a 307 oldsmobile engine or a 305 or 350 chevy motor. ( used in 86- 93 fleetwood brougham). also, the 368-425-472-500 ci cadillac motors are reliable (used in most 70's caddys), but mileage isnt that good.
also the LT1 is pretty reliable (I've seen alot of them with well over 300k miles). tthey are found in 94-96 fleetwood broughams.

avoid the HT4100 and northstars (unless the northstars have been had the heads professionally studded).

johnny kannapo
05-01-11, 11:14 PM
1965 to 1972.

ted tcb
05-01-11, 11:27 PM
The most reliable Caddy would be the one with the absolute best maintenance records.

The best built car out there can quickly be turned into a money pit with neglect.

thomas22
05-02-11, 12:39 AM
What about sevilles 2000+ devilles 2000+ and cts?

Aron9000
05-02-11, 12:57 AM
go for something with a 307 oldsmobile engine or a 305 or 350 chevy motor. ( used in 86- 93 fleetwood brougham). also, the 368-425-472-500 ci cadillac motors are reliable (used in most 70's caddys), but mileage isnt that good.
also the LT1 is pretty reliable (I've seen alot of them with well over 300k miles). tthey are found in 94-96 fleetwood broughams.

avoid the HT4100 and northstars (unless the northstars have been had the heads professionally studded).

Pretty good advice. The 307 olds is a decent motor, but power output is laughable. Plus that engine has a million miles of vacume hoses, at this age in the car's life they are starting to rot away.

I've had excellent service from my 350 TBI chevy motor in my Caddy. It and the 305 TBI are just Chevy truck motors, they run forever with minimal fuss.

As for the FWD Northstar cars, avoid them like the plauge. Even if you find one that has been studded with new headgaskets, there are a million other finicky electronic parts that like to go bad. Plus it costs big bucks to fix your electronic struts.

If you want a "90's Cadillac", look for a 94-95 base Deville. Those still had the 4.9 v8 Also 1992 Sevilles and Eldorados are the first year for those cool looking bodystles and still used the 4.9 v8.

And if you can get over the ugly interior, a 1st gen CTS is a pretty rock solid car.

creeker
05-02-11, 01:05 AM
As the title says im looking for the most reliable cadillac and why its more reliable than other years and models? Im only 18 years old but i have my mind and heart stuck on cadillacs, i love them and I cant see my self happily driving any other car out there. I work full time but im young so I don't have the salary an older full time working person has, this is why im looking for more reliable side and a caddy I can have for 5 years or so.

For someone your age I would look out for a 1992 or 93 eldorado with a 4.9, the 4.9 is a very reliable engine,200,000 miles isn't unusual for the 4.9, wait till you find a nice one.

thomas22
05-02-11, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't mind looking at the first gen CTS if its a pretty rock solid car as you say, thanks for the help so far.

96Fleetwood
05-02-11, 08:59 AM
Avoid anything with electronic struts and early Northstar. As was stated, you can't go wrong with the TBI and LT1 powered Cadillacs.

Sevillian273
05-02-11, 09:46 AM
+1

Single cam and throttle body injection.

odthetruth
05-02-11, 03:56 PM
If you don't have the salary "an older fulltime person" has, I'd definitely stick with one of the older cadillacs. I own a 1st gen CTS, and I don't think the interior is ugly (at least the speedo doesn't look like it came out of a caprice), BUT they are expensive to fix compared to older cars.

1st Gen CTS have timing chain issues, trans line radiator issues, and a few other things.

If you want a cadillac because its a cadillac and you want something you won't have to repair in 5 years, and even if you did, it wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg... listen to what everyones saying here about the older TBI cars.

I own a 1st gen CTS and I love it. It handles exactly like I want a car to. Its not bouncy and floaty, and its more precise then alot of other cars. But it is a bit tempermental.

Someone once said "Buying a car just because it’s reliable is like marrying someone because they’re punctual."

Destroyer
05-02-11, 08:48 PM

I absolutely agree with this. In a nutshell, the best Cadillac's didn't have Cadillac motors aside from the 60's and 70's which I adore (up to '72 or so really). Would these make ideal daily drivers? To me, yeah BUT gas prices being what they are, I guess not. I'm not too familiar with the newer models and the smaller engines. I can say I've had Cadillac's of all iterations and I would stay away from the 4100 and the Northstar. I'm not convinced the 4.5 is that great either being as I've know people that have had massive problems with them but the consensus here seems to show it was good. Good luck on your search.

thomas22
05-02-11, 08:57 PM
Well the first gen cts are what I have my eye on the most. Realistically speaking if I were to find one with around 70km, within 4-5 years would repairs be around $3500 and would It be the same deal for a deville or seville around 2002? Or would repairs be much higher? Thanks.

Destroyer
05-02-11, 09:15 PM
Well the first gen cts are what I have my eye on the most. Realistically speaking if I were to find one with around 70km, within 4-5 years would repairs be around $3500 and would It be the same deal for a deville or seville around 2002? Or would repairs be much higher? Thanks.All I can tell you about the 1st gen CTS is that I drove one and didn't like it. The interior was shamelessly cheap and the styling......not me. There has been talk of timing issues and other stuff with those. Going back to what I said before, I would buy a 1st gen CTS if it was a "V" with a Chevy motor. Even though I don't find them attractive, the "V" looks better just because......

77CDV
05-03-11, 12:48 AM
Having owned and driven Cadillacs since I was 16, I can tell you that the 1980 and earlier cars are solid, reliable, and very easy and cheap to repair when necessary. The 1988-1993 front-wheel drive cars are also quite good. Can't comment much on the CTS. I never warmed to the 1st gen, and though I like the 2nd gen's syling, I find the interior claustrophobic. I would not recommend the Northstar-powered cars to you unless you know for a certainty that the headgaskets have been properly repaired.

Good luck with your search.