: Ecoboost F150 beating expectations in sales

drewsdeville
05-01-11, 10:58 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21498

I wasn't expecting this either, at least this early. Even though the V6 performs better overall, I expected to see much of the stubborn public to continue opting for the V8 for the sake of tradition. It appears there's a chance that people are smarter than they look.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-02-11, 12:02 AM
It appears there's a chance that people are smarter than they look.

Not to sound condescending or anything......

People want a vehicle that'll get good mileage...if they can get that out of a truck that can tow as much as a V-8 one does, while it offers more torque and horsepower than a V8 model, then why not??

drewsdeville
05-02-11, 12:04 AM
I'm with ya, bud. It's that easy for me as well. Unfortunately, there are many who don't share the same thought process and find it a struggle to accept a V6 in a full sized truck, regardless of what the numbers say. I know some of them myself.

Aron9000
05-02-11, 08:25 AM
My main hate about the Eco-boost, and all turbocharged gasoline motors is their increased complexity/more shit to break factor. This isn't so much an issue for people who trade in cars every 3-4 years or so, but I wouldn't buy a turbocharged car without a factory warranty. I can see these ecoboost F150 motors having a lot more problems and being worth significantly less than a v8 model after about 5-6 years and once some of these trucks have more than 100k miles on them.

Sevillian273
05-02-11, 10:57 AM
^^That, and no v6 will ever sound as powerful and pleasing as the firing order of a V8.

Jesda
05-02-11, 04:43 PM
The turbo has, as far as I'm concerned, been perfected. I do agree that it does result in added complexity and cost, but a mass-market vehicle like the F-series truck helps to standardize the equipment and reduce the price for the end-user.

Eventually, turbocharging for Ford will be as commonplace as it is for Saab.

STS_Seville_Hunter
05-02-11, 05:56 PM
1/2 tons are weak sauce anyway. I'll keep my cummins, thank you.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-03-11, 12:40 AM
I find the whistle of a turbo almost as pleasing to listen to as a nice V-8.

Sevillian273
05-03-11, 10:44 PM
Well now you can have your cake and eat it too! :nana2:

http://www.turbowhistler.net/

drewsdeville
05-03-11, 11:15 PM
Well now you can have your cake and eat it too! :nana2:

http://www.turbowhistler.net/

Ditto, good sir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo&feature=youtu.be

Sevillian273
05-03-11, 11:21 PM
BRiLLIANT!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-04-11, 01:13 AM
That's retarted. A kid back in high school put that on his '94 Accord and literally got his ass kicked by someone else who had a Silverado.

The Raven
05-04-11, 10:30 PM
Not to sound condescending or anything......

People want a vehicle that'll get good mileage...if they can get that out of a truck that can tow as much as a V-8 one does, while it offers more torque and horsepower than a V8 model, then why not??

I agree with you in theory...the problem here is that the V6 in question offers the power, torque, and towing/hauling capacity of a V8, WHILE ALSO offering the FUEL MILEAGE of a V8. Ratings show it is capable of a WHOPPING 1MPG more on the highway than comparable V8's. Yippee. All this added complexity WILL be an issue down the road. You can count on that. So as i've said again and again, people are buying these trucks to do EVERYTHING a V8 does, and to pay more for the experience.

Unfortunately right now V8 is a four-letter word. So anything V6 is gold.

Playdrv4me
05-05-11, 08:57 PM
As an owner of a V6 full size, I find it has perfectly acceptable power, makes a perfectly usable daily driver, and is a fine truck. It just happened to be a nice deal, and that's all well and good. That said, if I had my choice on a new pickup, it would still be a V8 or better YET, a Turbodiesel... I don't give a shit whether its "just as capable", gets "slightly better fuel economy" or does "just as much" towing... I'll take my V8 or diesel without those modifiers because I like the way they feel, sound, and because I can. Sounds like yet another case of "you should get the V6 because its all *I think* you need", which is the quickest way to turn me off to ANYTHING.

As for the complexity of the turbo... One engine has extra pieces, and the other doesn't. It's extra shit that moves no matter how you slice it. If I'm going to deal with that, it better be attached to a stump pulling insanely accelerating Diesel.

hueterm
05-05-11, 09:10 PM
Sounds like yet another case of "you should get the V6 because its all *I think* you need"

That is well outlined in the Book of Drew, chapter 1, verses 1-11...

:thumbsup:

drewsdeville
05-05-11, 09:21 PM
As an owner of a V6 full size, I find it has perfectly acceptable power, makes a perfectly usable daily driver, and is a fine truck. It just happened to be a nice deal, and that's all well and good. That said, if I had my choice on a new pickup, it would still be a V8 or better YET, a Turbodiesel... I don't give a shit whether its "just as capable", gets "slightly better fuel economy" or does "just as much" towing... I'll take my V8 or diesel without those modifiers because I like the way they feel, sound, and because I can.

That's fine 'n dandy and I thank you for the essay on what your preferred choice of a new pickup is. I most certainly was concerned about that :cookoo:.

If you went and bought a V8 powered pickup tomorrow, the sales numbers on Ford's V6 would still impress me :thumbsup:

Jesda
05-06-11, 04:47 AM
That's fine 'n dandy and I thank you for the essay on what your preferred choice of a new pickup is. I most certainly was concerned about that :cookoo:.

If you went and bought a V8 powered pickup tomorrow, the sales numbers on Ford's V6 would still impress me :thumbsup:

Thank you for telling us how impressed you are. Without your input, Ford might collapse and babies would starve.

drewsdeville
05-06-11, 07:23 PM
Thank you for telling us how impressed you are. Without your input, Ford might collapse and babies would starve.

You are very welcome, sir. It's a wonderful thing that posting is completely elective, so the user can comment only on those threads which he/she finds interesting and/or important, isn't it? :cool2: Unrivaled freedom Sal has given us!

For example, someone who "doesn't give a shit" and would rather "take a V8 or a diesel" probably wouldn't have much interest in a thread like this, and likely wouldn't have much to contribute. If they did contribute anyway, I'd have to assume they are trollin' ;)

Jesda
05-06-11, 08:02 PM
Cool story bro.

drewsdeville
05-06-11, 08:15 PM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com//forums/Demotivational/4/demotivational-posters-zip-zop-bill-cosbie.jpg

gary88
05-06-11, 08:19 PM
This is why we can't have nice things.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-07-11, 11:17 PM
See this?? This is why we have ants!!