: Wheel clicking - fast version

N514864
05-01-11, 08:55 PM
Coming back in on the infamous and everlasting wheel clicking issue. I'm in the process of trying to get my Dealer (Rogers Cadillac Shelby NC - an excellent Dealership) to replace my front wheels with the new GM ones. No dice so far but, boy, am I having some strange phenomena!

First of all, as I was driving to work the other day, I discovered that my steering wheel was rotated 15 degrees to the left from straight ahead. Got towed into the nearest Greenville SC Dealer, who diagnosed alignment. I said I had simply driven a few miles from home on level roads, with no bumps. He said, that can happen, chance in a million, but there was nothing else wrong.

Then, though this had occurred before, I heard strange high frequency clicking sounds from the front left wheel area. Not like before - the famous 3-4 clicks per revolution - but very fast, and it does it at rest when I rotate the steering wheel from side to side! Also, I hear a crunching/squeaking sound when the suspension compresses in a dip in the road at even very slow speed.

Anyway, it's back with the Dealership now, and they're talking to GM. Anyone else come across this much higher frequency clicking noise? And have the new GM wheels removed all clicking noises for those who have made the change?

roarkb
05-03-11, 06:06 AM
New wheels for 10k miles - no clicking!

e6t
05-03-11, 10:19 AM
new wheels doesnt fix the issue. i have it on decent authority that they only "real" fix is to replace the rotors with new 2 pievce brembos and that is exactly what is going to start happening when the rotors become available.

LitiGATOR
05-03-11, 12:14 PM
I now have the "fast clicking" too.

LFTW8S
05-03-11, 12:30 PM
Coming back in on the infamous and everlasting wheel clicking issue. I'm in the process of trying to get my Dealer (Rogers Cadillac Shelby NC - an excellent Dealership) to replace my front wheels with the new GM ones. No dice so far but, boy, am I having some strange phenomena!

First of all, as I was driving to work the other day, I discovered that my steering wheel was rotated 15 degrees to the left from straight ahead. Got towed into the nearest Greenville SC Dealer, who diagnosed alignment. I said I had simply driven a few miles from home on level roads, with no bumps. He said, that can happen, chance in a million, but there was nothing else wrong.

Then, though this had occurred before, I heard strange high frequency clicking sounds from the front left wheel area. Not like before - the famous 3-4 clicks per revolution - but very fast, and it does it at rest when I rotate the steering wheel from side to side! Also, I hear a crunching/squeaking sound when the suspension compresses in a dip in the road at even very slow speed.

Anyway, it's back with the Dealership now, and they're talking to GM. Anyone else come across this much higher frequency clicking noise? And have the new GM wheels removed all clicking noises for those who have made the change?

Had the TSB cleaning/retorque done and got the new TSB wheels from GM. Did not stop the clicking. It actually got worst.

getbit
05-03-11, 12:54 PM
Cleaning and re-torque done here and all things are quiet for now...it's been a couple of thousand miles now.

King335i
05-05-11, 05:40 PM
Had the tsb performed on my coupe once, clicks went away for about a month, then came back worse than before. Going to leave my car overnight tonight with GM techs to assess the wheel click, seat squeak, tail lamp condensation, and an oil change and rear diff fluid change. Will let everyone know what I hear from them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

N514864
05-06-11, 02:34 PM
Letst news on my V. Kenny in Rogers diagnosed it as a problem with the seating of the leaf spring at front left. Reseated and everything is fine now - quieter than ever. So it wasn't the wheel clicking after all, though it sure did sound like it in fast form. Kenny did a super job, he really knows suspensions on Cadillacs.

mother
05-06-11, 05:45 PM
diagnosed it as a problem with the seating of the leaf spring at front left... he really knows suspensions on Cadillacs.

:suspect:

Typo?

King335i
05-07-11, 02:04 AM
...?

mother
05-07-11, 07:23 AM
...?

I'm pretty sure either you typed wrong, or Kenny doesn't really know about suspensions- Leaf spring?

thatcoder
05-07-11, 08:30 AM
leaf springs are on pickup trucks.. in the REAR.

N514864
05-07-11, 09:53 AM
You're right of course! My fault for typing "leaf". Diagnosis reads "LF spring", as in left front!!

And boy was this hard to find and diagnose. It sure sounded like fast wheel clicking to me.

getbit
05-07-11, 12:46 PM
I spoke too soon.
The clicking has started again.