: weird noises coming from my 07 ext

brentspatriots
05-01-11, 05:22 PM
I bought this ext about 2 or 3 months ago, its running great but there is a couple weird noises that are driving me crazy. wondering if anyone has had these before or what they might be.

1) squeak squeak when i drive slowly. The squeaking is brutal, the intervals between "squeaks" gets faster as i move faster. THere is no sound when im not moving but when i start to roll it squeaks and squeakes faster and faster until i go about 30 km/h. It cant be the breaks wear warning because the breaks were replaced when i bought them.

2) a rattling sound within the dash. Its a very faint rattling somewhere in the dash. I thought it was either the antenna outside being loose or something in the cup holder or glove box but no. Ive tried to apply pressure to all the clip on trim in the cabin but cant stop the rattling. Wondering if its a speaker or something. Like i said, i cant locate where exactly it is but its bugging me quite a bit. This noise is most noiceable when the car is started cold. It seems like it eventually goes away...that or ive just got used to it as a few minutes go by.

any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

darhef
05-01-11, 08:02 PM
Check your center caps for the squeaking. They should be nice and tight. You shouldn't be able to turn them by hand. As for the dash???

TexFinn
05-02-11, 12:32 AM
Even though your brakes were done, I'd still say your squeaking is related to them. Could be that a pad is installed incorrectly, one of the clips holding pads comes in contact with the rotor etc.

So, if you bought it very recently, I'd suggest taking it back for a checkup.

As far as the rattle goes. No idea. Just keep on trying to pinpoint the source, I guess...

Eric Hagan
05-02-11, 07:29 AM
My escalade does the same thing as far as the squeaking sound. It's the center caps on the wheels. I've walked next to it while my wife drives it and that was where it was coming from. Remove the caps and drive it. If the noise goes away you know it's the caps. If not it is something else.
I have no idea on the rattling sound.

48Dodge
05-02-11, 08:00 AM
Are you sure the rattle is coming from the dash? Check the round climate sensor right above the driver seat. Mine is going bad and it rattles when I first start up in the morning.

sent from my Droid Incredible

Big Windy Ext
05-02-11, 04:20 PM
Check by the passenger hood hinge for the dash noise , I saw where my hinge was rubbing from a little bit of rust . There also is a TSB for it . It sounded like a dash rattle even though it was under the hood . Good luck , I am a nut when I hear any rattle or squeak . The center caps, been there done that , I put foam rubber under mine till I went in to the dealer for other issues , quieted them right up . Another noise that you haven't had, but may , make sure to lock the mid-gate , good for a rattle-squeak fest.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-02-11, 04:58 PM
brentspatriots, you've gotten quite a few good suggestions here. Hopefully with all this help you'll be able to DIY the fix. If not your dealership is still there to help you. If you run into any other issues I would suggest speaking with GM of Canada. They would be able to assist you in working with your dealership. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

brentspatriots
05-04-11, 05:35 PM
Are you sure the rattle is coming from the dash? Check the round climate sensor right above the driver seat. Mine is going bad and it rattles when I first start up in the morning.

Im not sure what your talking about by this description, can you explain?

brentspatriots
05-04-11, 05:39 PM
as for the squeaking noise, it was the u joints. Fixed under power train warranty and good to go. The rattling noise the dealer directed me to the body shop next door (which is same company). The guy told me the body shop would fix it for alot cheaper....dont really understand why but i'll check it out eventually.

Hell Hound
05-06-11, 08:25 PM
The rattling noises I have are:

1) The plastic piece just under my steering wheel. At first it sounded
like it was coming from the top middle of the dash, but it ended up being
the plastic cover on the bottom part.

2) The little plastic piece with all the holes in it on the headliner above the
second and third row driver side (Denali XL). It makes a rattling noise. I
can hear it when I turn the ignition on (without starting) it's a constant
rattling noise.

Big Windy Ext
05-07-11, 08:12 AM
That noise in your round thing is a fan blowing air over the climate control thermostat .

48Dodge
05-07-11, 08:19 AM
The rattling noises I have are:

2) The little plastic piece with all the holes in it on the headliner above the
second and third row driver side (Denali XL). It makes a rattling noise. I
can hear it when I turn the ignition on (without starting) it's a constant
rattling noise.

I have the same rattling. I've taken the module out to clean it which helped but it's still rattling. I'm going to try again with some electronics cleaner but I'm thinking it needs to be replaced. It's not as hard to remove as it seems. Pull the plastic grill off, it's held on by serrated teeth. Then remove the sunroof trim. You can gently pull down on the headliner and get just enough room to pull the unit out and unclip it. To put it back in, you have to hold it in place with your hand so you can push the grill back in place.

48Dodge
05-18-11, 04:31 PM
I finally got around to cleaning the sensor with electronic cleaner. I took the fan out, too. Carefully bend the little diode out of the way and you can pull the fan out. After hosing it out for quite a while with cleaner from all angles I let it dry and put a small dab of grease on the spindle. Put everything back together and it's completely silent now. I actually thought it wasn't working it was so quiet so I pulled it back out to make sure it was spinning. I'll keep an eye (or ear) on it to make sure it is a permanent fix. This was a smoker's car so there was quite a bit of gunk in it.

Big Windy Ext
05-19-11, 06:58 AM
Hey Dodge thanks for the how to on the sensor,my sensor isn't noisy.Yet !

48Dodge
05-19-11, 09:12 AM
No problem. I didn't think it would actually work but it was still silent this am when it was cool. That's when it usually sounded like a piece of gravel was in there.