: Traction Control Active ?

FSchuett
04-30-11, 04:02 PM
Hello,

Ive a little problem with my 05 STS with RWD...
Now, if I drive with over 80 mph on the Autobahn
and then I make a "kickdown", the information center
sign "traction control active"...

Every time I drive on the Autobahn I press the TC button (off)
and it drives very nice. I think its a sensor damage or what ?

If I drive over 100 mph the light come if I press the accelerator pedal a little
bit more...

Anyone an idea ?

Thanks
Frank

EChas3
04-30-11, 11:06 PM
You might really be having traction issues. What tires do you have? How old?

jedhead
05-01-11, 02:40 AM
Accelerating hard on rough surfaces set off the traction control for me.

Bob

targetSTS
05-01-11, 03:29 AM
it seems your traction control work normally. Every time you press accelerator hard your wheels begin to slip even at high speeds. Depends on how good your tires, road surface and how hard you push the car.

Lifer
06-08-11, 11:22 PM
Situation: 2006 STS V8, Full gas tank, 1 suitcase in trunk-@45 lbs, passenger and driver up front, temp 85 degrees, sky clear, roads dry. At 80 MPH and above the steering feels like the front wheels are not firmly on the road - kind of light, yet the steering wheel force is firm. On smooth road surfaces - no problem, but on McAdam road surfaces - rough, but not choppy, just a course surface. Traction active warning comes on, I lose power and if I lift off the gas, it goes away. The car feels touchy, yet it flys along at speeds up to 100 with no effort, just the light feeling and the traction active warning. The light feeling is that if I were to accelerate the car would rotate out of control, like it were on slick ice.

Any further ideas?

turnne
06-11-11, 11:57 AM
I assume this situation is new?
ie...the car hasn't always done this?

lately...even when I am moving at low speeds...up or down a hill that places the front and rear wheels at different heights..I get the traction active signal

Warren

Lifer
06-13-11, 12:26 PM
Is this situation new? Well, possibly. Around the beginning of May I left an interstate highway and turned on a two-lane road with a rough surface. I was the only person in the car, nothing in the trunk, weather - 40 degrees, overcast, raining (drizzle all day), speed about 45-50. I accelerated lightly and the car began to rotate to the left (STS, rear wheel drive, 1SG V8) and I automatically compensated by turning the wheel to the right and lifting my foot off the gas. If I were on slick ice or snow, this would be correct, but there was no ice and the road, although wet, was rough. Kinda like compensating for a cross wind when landing an airplane.

The next thing that happened was the car proceeded to slide off the road way onto the grassy field next to the road and it continued to rotate 2 complete 360 degree turns. I saw the world whirl by like it was on TV. I tried tro compensate with steering and I was heavy on the brakes, but I didn't hit anything, and the car felt like it was never going to slow down, although it did and finally stopped. The DIC said the stability control was off. I never turned it off, but that is what is said. The car was covered from the top to the bottom with grass and mud. If I were doing a deliberate donut in the snow (or grass) there usually would be nothing higher than the belt line of the car body. But I was covered with grass and mud. No dents, no damage. However, the exhaust pipes were plugged with 4 inches of dirt and grass. I had to use a knife to unplug them so I could drive away. (What went through my mind as I tried to brake and regain control was – “Do these airbags really work?”)

The car sat idling, although dirty and the DIC message, it appeared fine. I drove off with no problem, and when I stopped for a traffic light I turned off the ignition and restarted the car - the DIC display went to normal and the car drove fine. But since then I am suspicious of the traction control system and when it did the Track Control Active routine last week I really began to worry.

Any ideas?

EChas3
06-13-11, 01:21 PM
Wow! My wife's car was loose when she had Michelin Energy (rock-hard) tires mounted but that is extreme. Any water or gravel on pavement and her TC would kick on. It hasn't been an issue with good tires. What do you have mounted & how many miles?

Any similar ocurrances since then?

turnne
06-13-11, 04:21 PM
Is this situation new? Well, possibly. Around the beginning of May I left an interstate highway and turned on a two-lane road with a rough surface. I was the only person in the car, nothing in the trunk, weather - 40 degrees, overcast, raining (drizzle all day), speed about 45-50. I accelerated lightly and the car began to rotate to the left (STS, rear wheel drive, 1SG V8) and I automatically compensated by turning the wheel to the right and lifting my foot off the gas. If I were on slick ice or snow, this would be correct, but there was no ice and the road, although wet, was rough. Kinda like compensating for a cross wind when landing an airplane.

The next thing that happened was the car proceeded to slide off the road way onto the grassy field next to the road and it continued to rotate 2 complete 360 degree turns. I saw the world whirl by like it was on TV. I tried tro compensate with steering and I was heavy on the brakes, but I didn't hit anything, and the car felt like it was never going to slow down, although it did and finally stopped. The DIC said the stability control was off. I never turned it off, but that is what is said. The car was covered from the top to the bottom with grass and mud. If I were doing a deliberate donut in the snow (or grass) there usually would be nothing higher than the belt line of the car body. But I was covered with grass and mud. No dents, no damage. However, the exhaust pipes were plugged with 4 inches of dirt and grass. I had to use a knife to unplug them so I could drive away. (What went through my mind as I tried to brake and regain control was Do these airbags really work?)

The car sat idling, although dirty and the DIC message, it appeared fine. I drove off with no problem, and when I stopped for a traffic light I turned off the ignition and restarted the car - the DIC display went to normal and the car drove fine. But since then I am suspicious of the traction control system and when it did the Track Control Active routine last week I really began to worry.

Any ideas?

Yikes ..something sounds wrong with the car

the fact that your stability system didn't intervene and of course the message on the DIC tell me something is amiss

I would say you need to take the car in for repair

Warren

AllWheelEric
06-13-11, 10:49 PM
Lifer, perhaps you have bent some of the suspension or frame components.

Lifer
06-14-11, 02:35 PM
Regarding bending, possible, but right after this wild and hairy experience I took the car in for the regular service (10% on the oil life monitor) to the dealer, who is reputably very good. Although I only got an oil change, they are always looking for a potential dollar project when your pride and joy is in the air. I got back nothing.

On the road the car tracks true and straight. There are no squeeks or groans. It goes over speed bumbs fine. No problems with turns.

During the deailed incident the car never struck anything, only kicked up grass and dirt. There is the possiblity that I hit a mini-tornado and was picked up for the two 360 degree spins.

targetSTS
07-23-11, 08:19 PM
I have the same problem as tc. I drove on highway yesterday and everytime I hit 100 mph, traction active message came on with no reason and I loose the power.
Also it appeared sometimes at 80-100 mph speed even if I press the gas just a little. Car drives good at low speeds without any problems. Any ideas? Maybe ABS contoller?
2005 v8 rwd

porkfarm
08-03-11, 08:43 AM
100MPH ? Maybe the speed limiter ? After I put on good sticky tires, It's hard to get that message to show up .
if you have the 1SG can you change the suspension from touring to sport ( mag ride. ) ? Do it do it in both settings ?

jedhead
08-03-11, 08:18 PM
I redlined my car in 4th and shifted into 5th on smooth very long straight and did not have the Traction Control Active come on at any time on the speed run. I have the speed limiters removed. Are you running stock tire sizes?

Bob