: '85 Fleetwood, Overheating Problem (ticking noise)

aldo305
04-30-11, 11:05 AM
Hello again,

I think I got a serious problem...

I usually work overnight which means, in the morning, I get all the green lights and can drive straight between 30-40 from my working place home, after about 30 mins, I stop at a red light to turn right and when I accelerate, a very loud ticking noise is coming out of up front. I pull over while leaving the engine running and that ticking noise still continues, what I noticed was that the pipes from the cooling system were "sweating" which means there was cold water outside of all of the pipes which lead into the engine.

So I had a look under my car and I saw the exhaust pipe coming up of it, be kind of smoking (I guess cuz its not cooled) and the bottom of the pipe almost black due heat/smoke.

While driving the sound gets weaker the faster I go, but as soon as I stop on a red light again, my engine is like an animal, it slightly accelerates by itself as if I would hit the pedal. Sometimes more sometimes less.

The only way to prevent this for me right now, is to park the car and wait until it cooled down, and then continue driving.

a car repair shop said they would have to take out the engine as they assume its something with the timing of the cooling system (no idea what they say), but I think its somewhere around it, as I can hear that clicking/ticking sound very clear if I open up the hood.

Any ideas?

csbuckn
04-30-11, 11:25 AM
So it ticks when it overheats and runs normal when at normal operating temp?

aldo305
04-30-11, 12:56 PM
Yea exactly, its more like clapping/ticking and I lose power when I hit the gas after I stopped.

csbuckn
04-30-11, 06:28 PM
Alright. Does it run rough at lower rpms and better at high rpms? And does it sound more like a rod, lifter or carb backfire?

aldo305
05-03-11, 08:02 AM
yea similar, I will try to post a sound file that I recorded, there you can hear it clearly

aldo305
05-03-11, 08:27 AM
here's a sound file that I recorded http://cl.ly/1707062f3C0W0B1g1I2H

cadillac_al
05-03-11, 09:14 AM
That's a pretty good mechanical tap there. I wouldn't drive it far until I figured it out. Somebody is going to have to do some detective work with a stethascope to find out exactly where it is coming from. It doesn't sound like a bearing or a timing chain or a flex plate to me. I'm stumped right now. I would have to see it in person to try to pin point the location. I have no idea how this relates to overheating. I've never heard a water pump sound like that either. Your mechanic should explain his diagnosis a little better so at least you can get a 2nd opinion. The reason you typed makes no sense, communication breakdown somewhere.

csbuckn
05-03-11, 10:58 AM
That sounds like something in the drivetrain, like a wheel or u-joint or something like that to me. Does it only happen when the car is moving? Does it get worse when you turn? I bet it has something to do with the front wheels, steering or suspension. Can you feel it when you're in the car?

aldo305
05-03-11, 12:47 PM
No same thing when I turn.

What i noticed was that the sound disappears in parking mode, but as soon as I go pack into Drive and keep holding break it returns slowly.

I also feel my pedal (or whatever its connected to) starting to judder. I really gotta hit it deep to get the car going...somewhere its losing the power.

intragration
05-03-11, 01:28 PM
I didn't listen to the sound, I don't trust a domain called cl.ly, but how about the torque converter or something else related to the trans?

cadillac_al
05-03-11, 11:23 PM
I didn't listen to the sound, I don't trust a domain called cl.ly, but how about the torque converter or something else related to the trans?

Good call for not listening to it. It is a good possibility. I have a torque converter going out in my truck. At first it sounded like a rod knock and it is now way louder than yours but it does change when I go from reverse to drive. Now that I think of it, this does sound a lot like a cracked flex plate. If you get it narrowed down to that area then that is what I think it is now. If it is, it won't really hurt anything if you let it disintegrate but it will leave you without power to the trans and you will need a tow. They can still go a quite a while making noise like this so you aren't exactly stranded yet.

aldo305
05-04-11, 08:53 AM
The sounds seems to come more form the top of the engine, if it helps I can shoot a video and youll "see" the noise better

aldo305
05-06-11, 04:59 AM
I have a little update.

I went to a 2nd repair shop, they told me oil was missing everywhere meaning the engine is leaking and they would have to replace 3 parts: Front seal, rear end seal and casket sealing.

Where that sound used to come exactly couldn't they tell me neither lol.

Right now I just refilled oil, as the repair would cost me about 1000 total...I guess Ill keep changin oil more often for now

cadillac_al
05-06-11, 07:10 AM
So putting 3 quarts of oil in the car made that noise go away? Dude, if you can't keep oil in the car then you should be riding the bus. I'll be surprised if this engine didn't suffer some damage from this negligence.

aldo305
05-09-11, 06:54 PM
Yea strange right? a whole damn noise and clapping because of oil? Im sure you would knew it from the first minute ...

Of course it was not completely out of oil, thats the first thing I checked, it was low but not that low where you would think its causing the problem. and I did oil change a month ago.

csbuckn
05-09-11, 08:56 PM
I dont know, thats a tough one. Are you sure its not a engine knock. I'd probably get that looked at soon.