: 0w-20 oil

stoveguyy
04-30-11, 10:52 AM
new car uses 0w-20 oil which is syn oil. do you think using 5w-20 dino oil is ok during the summer? both oils flow about the same when warm. same viscosity that is. besides, motor never really gets cold during hot summer.

Dadillac
04-30-11, 11:50 AM
If the manufacturer specified 0w20 synthetic I wouldn't alter that. The manufacturer specified synthetic for a reason. You may want to contact them to ask why so. What year, make, model is the car?

Don

stoveguyy
04-30-11, 11:57 AM
its a new 4cyl camry. toyota does agree to 10k oil changes. so its close to once a year deal anyway. finally found some other brands of 0w-20 stuff besides mobil 1. at least they have 5 qt jugs. lowers the per qt price slightly.

ThumperPup
04-30-11, 12:55 PM
i wouldn't go changing from a car that says to use Sythentic to Dino
if something happens and they decide to go testing the oil or if they ask for recites from when you had oil changes and see its not a sythetic then they will tell you your warranty is voided i bet

stoveguyy
04-30-11, 01:28 PM
yes it is only $10 more per oil change to use syn oil compared to dino oil. once a year. still do not like the oil filter design that only changes the paper element and reuses the plastic body shell. can it get any messier?

Aron9000
04-30-11, 09:37 PM
yes it is only $10 more per oil change to use syn oil compared to dino oil. once a year. still do not like the oil filter design that only changes the paper element and reuses the plastic body shell. can it get any messier?

You need to be changing that oil every 5,000 miles with synthetic. I don't give a flying **** what Toyota says. Google Toyota engine sludge, that maladay was completely preventable if people would've changed their oil more often.

Toyota, at least back a few years ago had two different oil change intervals in the owners manual. A lot of people went with the longer 7500 mile interval instead of the "severe service" interval. That led to problems, because people didn't realize that many short trips that never let the engine warm up called for the "severe service" interval, which was every 5,000 miles.

Of course the average person would think, yeah change it every 7500 miles, but by the time they got around it might be more like 8, 9, or 10k miles.

If you do your own work, Costco has amazing prices on Mobil one. They sell it in 6 quart packages, its usually $10-20 cheaper than buying it at Napa, Autozone, etc

stoveguyy
05-01-11, 12:34 PM
its a lease car. got letter from toyota saying 10k miles or 1 change per year. have had it for 19 months and just hit 20k miles. maint light came on this week. it comes on every 5k miles. i have checked the oil level once since we got the car. did not open hood for 3 months after we got it. just wanted to see what engine looked like.

johnny kannapo
05-01-11, 11:37 PM
The manufacturer & warranty are God in this matter.

Don't give the manufacturer the satisfaction of warranty nullification.

stoveguyy
05-02-11, 11:48 AM
we had a 07 sonata before. cute car. except for that damn plastic belly pan that you had to take off to reach the oil filter. i was amazed at the clearance between engine and firewall from below. about 1 foot i swear. and so damn clean. all clean gray castings and not a drip of grime or road crud. don't remember if the camry oil change is a pain. except for the special filter socket i had to buy. super tight at first. maybe they really crank on the filter housing at the factory.