: Rearview Camera

lucthedevildog
04-30-11, 08:54 AM
My rearview camera sucks. I have a 2008 Yukon and the rearview camera is much higher definition and the clarity and contrast is better. In my V-Wagon I can hardley see and just use the side mirrors when backing out of the garage. Is it my wagon's camera or all of them?

Caddy Wagon
04-30-11, 09:21 AM
I think it's pretty much useless as well. I back my Wagon into the garage and use the side view mirrors as well. The camera does give me a good idea (along with the backup sensors) of how far I can back up, but for perspective, the camera might as well not be there. That does give me an idea though...maybe the camera itself could be replaced with something better.

JimmyH
04-30-11, 08:03 PM
You will be blessing the camera if, God forbid, a child jumps behind your car in a parking lot.

muohio
04-30-11, 10:35 PM
The software for the NAV is pretty bad with the camera. A regular CTS without nav has the display in the rear view mirror. The image appears to be sharper plus gives the guide lines that turn with the wheel. I also notice that my parents 2010 SRX with nav is much clearer and also give the guide lines that move with the steering wheel.

thebigjimsho
05-01-11, 03:47 PM
You will be blessing the camera if, God forbid, a child jumps behind your car in a parking lot.
Duh, that's not the point, Jimmeh. I don't think anyone is complaining about the camera's purpose, but, rather, the performance.

I had a back up camera in my '07 Town Car. It, like my nav/radio, was aftermarket. And it was great. It was clear with a fish-eye lens that allowed me to see objects from a very wide angle.

On my '09, the camera has much poorer resolution that doesn't react nearly as well to light. Part of the reason may be it's directly under my plate light, but it makes things that don't contrast with their surroundings nearly invisible. It has maybe 20% the effectiveness of the last one in the dark. In the daylight, it's fine...

JimmyH
05-01-11, 08:29 PM
duh, my point is at least you have one. by your logic, the camera sucks, might as well rip it out.

mrl859
05-02-11, 02:03 AM
We need some electronic genius (Jesse?) to figure out a way to get the twisting guidlines to appear in the nav!

Tuna
05-02-11, 10:21 AM
Never having a rear camera before, I have nothing else to compare with but it's clear enough for me. I still use the rear view mirrors and my eyeballs first. I only use the camera's output for close up work when backing.