: Tire and Wheel Insurance

JohnnySpagz
04-29-11, 09:07 PM
Hey everyone

Well, tomorrow is the day I pick up my V Coupe! The dealer was telling me I should get the tire and wheel insurance. I believe it is $800.00 and it covers tire and rim damage (not curbing a wheel though). There is a maximum of $7000.00 and I believe it is for 4 or 5 years.

Is something like this worth it?

Thanks!

JOEYCTS-V
04-29-11, 09:32 PM
When I bought my car they told me curb rash was included. I didn't give in but if you're the type of person who is going to curb check the wheels and get lots of blow-outs it's definitely worth it. I'm sure you know your driving style and if these things have happened to you in the past. Congrats on the new car. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elevated
04-29-11, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a waste if it does not include curbing, which is 99% of damage you would see. Is there a deductible too?

JohnnySpagz
04-29-11, 10:36 PM
You both are probably right. There isnt a deductible, but if it doesnt include curbing the rim it isnt worth it. I think once I bent a rim in the winter - but that was it. This car will not be taken out in bad weather or anything.

thebigjimsho
04-30-11, 01:02 AM
I think it depends on the type of insurance. Mine covers curbing, and like most warranties, is negotiable. I paid $500 for 5 years on my '04 and $600 for 5 years on my '09. Got a nail in a rear PS2 last year and it was paid in full. Almost paid for itself...

jamesdean65
04-30-11, 06:57 AM
I was told curbing was covered.

Busabob
04-30-11, 06:53 PM
Waste of money if you ask me, even if you do damage or break a wheel it's not going to cost you $800 for fix/replace it.....and what are the chances???

I only insure things that it would really hurt to write a check for (House, Car, Life!) Congrats on the car.

LeonarJ3
04-30-11, 07:13 PM
good luck !

JimmyH
04-30-11, 07:31 PM
Discount Tire sells tire replacement certificates, if you are just worried about the tire. I seem to recall about $25 per tire.

nsaness
04-30-11, 07:59 PM
I usually think insurance and extended warranties are a big waste of money. I have never bought one yet.... That being said, I just had to replace a bent rim that would not balance for my 2010 CTS-V, and a week later I had to replace a cracked rim on the wife's STS-V. I will still not buy the insurance myself, but I can tell you my CTS-V wheel was $700.00+ through my dealer.

thebigjimsho
05-01-11, 03:39 PM
I usually think insurance and extended warranties are a big waste of money. I have never bought one yet.... That being said, I just had to replace a bent rim that would not balance for my 2010 CTS-V, and a week later I had to replace a cracked rim on the wife's STS-V. I will still not buy the insurance myself, but I can tell you my CTS-V wheel was $700.00+ through my dealer.
On the '04, the 6 lug wheel and sooper pricey F1 Supercar tire made the tire/wheel insurance a no-brainer, in my mind. So I just followed suit for the '09...

Kluch
05-08-11, 12:23 AM
I bought a 4 year policy on my wheels/tires that does not include curb rash potection or normal tire wear & tear. It cost $450. Seemed like a good idea at the time because if I have to replace even 1 blown tire/bent rim it more than pays for itself. Of course buying the policy pretty much guarantees nothing will happen, so money down the toilet. I don't think I'd do it again. Dealer probably gets a nice kickback for each policy they sell. My excitment over getting the car clouded my usually better judgement. They could have gotten me to buy almost anything at that moment. Oh well.

BeagleBrains
05-09-11, 09:56 PM
The usual tire manufacturer road hazard coverage has always taken care of tire replacement. Replacing a wheel costs the same as the insurance cost.
I have had a couple of tires replaced.:hmm: