: 1999 STS blew HG....might get this as a replacement

golfer2410
04-29-11, 07:47 PM
If I don't replace the HG (about $2300) this is what I am going to get, and I can get it for about $18,000.

http://www.autoedgevehicles.com/inventory/index.cfm/fuseaction/inventory.view/inventoryID/1722554/status/1/make/cadillac/model/sts/pageID/2263/2006_cadillac_sts.html

Thoughts?

chazglenn3
04-29-11, 08:40 PM
I agree with your plan to upgrade the car instead of fixing the ' 99 but I think that $18k is too much money for a '06 without ACC/HUD.

golfer2410
04-29-11, 09:11 PM
What is ACC/HUD?

chagrin falls
04-29-11, 10:07 PM
I would offer them $16k and see where it goes. acc=adaptive cruise control---hud=heads up display. you are probably out of the factory warranty. i would not buy a car without an extended warranty-when things go wrong the repair costs can be expensive.

EChas3
04-29-11, 10:17 PM
Is the dealer gonna give you $5,000 for the 1999?

mbnv992
04-29-11, 11:23 PM
I would also try to talk them down a couple grand at least.

An easy way to tell of a STS you are looking at has ACC / HUD is the Cadillac emblem on the front grille will be in a black background.

chazglenn3
04-30-11, 01:30 AM
I just ran the VIN on that car and it is also lightly optioned. It is a 1SE Luxury Package car. No magnetic ride control, no HID headlights, heated but not ventilated seats, no wood trim on shifter, door panels or steering wheel...way to much money IMHO.

golfer2410
04-30-11, 09:24 AM
Yeah they are asking $21,980 for it...but so far they have come down to $19,900. They said they would only give me $1,250 for my 99 STS due to the blown head gasket and a few cosmetic things. I also think it is too expensive, plus I think RWD would be pretty crappy in Iowa winters.

Maybe I'll just fix my 99 for $2300.

KRSTS
04-30-11, 02:16 PM
99 STS with blown HG not worth much more than $1K

ryannel2003
05-01-11, 03:11 AM
What's funny is how many owners say if they could choose between a brand new Seville STS or the current STS bodystyle they would take the older model. That shocked the hell out of me considering how hyped up the RWD STS was when it was introduced. Having driven both cars extensively the newer STS is hands down a much better driving car IMO. Less wallow when going down the road, much tighter in the corners, good turning radius, and more reliable in general. On the other hand the old FWD STS rides better, has more comfortable seats, has a more pleasing looking interior, and IMO is a more stylish vehicle. It's up to the owner as to what he wants, but both cars have plusses and minuses.

STS guy
05-01-11, 10:20 AM
I agree with chagrin falls. Get an extended warranty. It seems these cars tend to need torque converter replacements (mine included) and that is a costly repair. Let some one else pay the tab.

STS guy

EChas3
05-01-11, 11:30 AM
What's funny is how many owners say if they could choose between a brand new Seville STS or the current STS bodystyle they would take the older model. That shocked the hell out of me considering how hyped up the RWD STS was when it was introduced. Having driven both cars extensively the newer STS is hands down a much better driving car IMO. Less wallow when going down the road, much tighter in the corners, good turning radius, and more reliable in general. On the other hand the old FWD STS rides better, has more comfortable seats, has a more pleasing looking interior, and IMO is a more stylish vehicle. It's up to the owner as to what he wants, but both cars have plusses and minuses.

My wife had a '98 Seville STS for years and I agree with the above. For people that like FWD the new STS isn't necessarily better.

andy2005si
05-01-11, 07:37 PM
And the good thing is my dads a cadillac tech, works on northstars ALL DAY. And the RWD's don't suffer the HG failures, mostly neither do the 2000+ revised FWD motors either. But they still do come in once in awhile for rear main seals blowing.

chazglenn3
05-01-11, 10:07 PM
Another difference I have noticed between the FWD Northstar and the RWD Northstar is that the RWD doesn't seem to burn oil by design like the FWD did. I have had my '05 for 4 months and put on 7k miles and the car hasn't burned a drop.

ryannel2003
05-01-11, 10:17 PM
And the good thing is my dads a cadillac tech, works on northstars ALL DAY. And the RWD's don't suffer the HG failures, mostly neither do the 2000+ revised FWD motors either. But they still do come in once in awhile for rear main seals blowing.

Unfortunately my 2000 STS blew a headgasket at 54k miles right before I bought the car. I believe it was due to failure from the original owners to change the coolant, so I'm sure it was pretty nasty looking stuff when the motor was taken out. After putting 50k miles on my car since then it hasn't given me any trouble. The RWD model was design correctly from the beginning and was placed the right way in the engine bay. From what I've read, the V6 STS's are more troublesome than the V8's.