: 2006 Headlights

bbjorklund99
04-29-11, 05:47 PM
I noticed one of the small bulbs in the lower corner of my headlight assembly is burned out. First of all can someone tell me what they call that bulb? Secondly is does the bulb also require you to remove half the car to replace or is this one easier to get to then the actual headlamps?

Brad

chazglenn3
04-29-11, 07:45 PM
It is the parking light and yes the front end has to come off to change it...sorry. You should plan to change both while the car is apart.

Maximln
05-26-11, 06:29 PM
They can be changed without removing the bumper. There is not a lot of room to do it but it can be done. I have ended up changing both sides on my car going in from under the hood.

Max

EChas3
05-26-11, 09:25 PM
The bumper cover isn't really that hard a task. As they say in the land of cheese, It's a horse apiece.

chazglenn3
05-27-11, 10:44 AM
I would like to see it done with the bumper cover on the car. The access door on the side of the headlamp has to come off, and then you have to get the little 194/W5W socket in and out. I could barely get the socket in and out sitting in my garage with the headlamp assembly on my lap. I broke the retaining tabs on both assemblies. You must be a magician.

Maximln
06-01-11, 09:15 PM
I would like to see it done with the bumper cover on the car. The access door on the side of the headlamp has to come off, and then you have to get the little 194/W5W socket in and out. I could barely get the socket in and out sitting in my garage with the headlamp assembly on my lap. I broke the retaining tabs on both assemblies. You must be a magician.

It's not easy & I'm not a magician. Just determined!! The driver side is definitely easier than the passenger side. On the driver side, you just have to remove the air filter housing which is fairly easy & then remove 2 screws to a cover that houses what I'm guessing is like the ballast for the HID headlamps (if you do not have this feature then I would assume it is just the cover). Once the cover is off, it gives you access to that small lamp.

On the passenger side, you have to remove the bolt at the bottom of the fuse panel assemble. I cannot remember the size of the socket but you will need the long version of the socket size as well as a long extension. That bolt is way at the bottom of that fuse panel. Once the bolt is removed, you can lift the fuse assembly & position it out of the way (all the wiring is still connected so it cannot be removed, just positioned out of the way). After doing that, you will have access to the 2 screws holding that side's cover in place & again, once it is removed, you have access to the small lamp. There is much less space on the passenger side to gain access to the lamp & if you have large hands, it would probably be very difficult. Luckily I do not have real large hands but I do have long slender fingers which does help.

Max

chazglenn3
06-01-11, 09:49 PM
Wow...good job! I will have to stick with removing the bumper cover...my hands are fairly big. Thanks for the explanation!

bbjorklund99
06-02-11, 12:18 PM
I appreciate the information. I have not taken the time to replace the bulb yet but someday when I am bored I will give it a go. I will try the fuse block method and if my hands are too big to get in there I will need to bite the bullet and remove the bumper. Seems like they would have engineered in a better way to change the bulbs. I know the dealer appreciates the difficulty of the process but at some point the consumer is going to get tired of paying huge bucks to replace things that should be a snap. I am glad that I am mechanically inclined and can do a lot of the maintenance work myself. I can't imagine paying $1,100 to have my brakes pad replaced as one of the guys was talking about. I can find better use of $1,100 (new grill, lock pick, nav disc update, and XM radio subscription).

jaymevb
06-03-11, 09:03 AM
it's tough even with the headlights off. i found out both of mine had the tabs that hold the bulb in broken off and the bulbs were glued in by the previous owner. made it pretty tough to get them out.

chazglenn3
06-06-11, 09:05 AM
When I broke the tabs off, I wrapped the socket with layers of tape until I got a tight fit. Glue is a bad idea...some people.

1_bad_cad
06-07-11, 09:52 AM
I will second the process of being able to remove the little 194 lights without taking off the bumper, but you have to have patience and small hands. I have the patience but not the small hands. The driver side was a little easier than the passenger side but both can be done. Just make sure you put the gray plastic cover back on the correct way with the inner seal or you will be asking for trouble when you go through the car wash as I did. Removing condensation and water from the headlights was not a fun time. Good Luck with the task

1_bad_cad
06-07-11, 10:05 AM
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/253657_687644912236_31501242_35945271_6830709_n.jp ghttp://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252932_687645086886_31501242_35945278_4388848_n.jp g