: What is Normal Idle RPM?....

sparsons79
04-28-11, 02:54 PM
I've experienced a little rough idle lately. Cleaned the TP, new air filter and always run 92+ octane. Dealer sayd I am not due for for a tune-up until 100,000 miles, which I am currently at 67,000.

Current idle is 500 RPM.

Thanks

48Dodge
04-28-11, 03:23 PM
I haven't hooked it up to an external tach, but my dash tach shows 500rpm if I remember correctly. Goes to 1000rpm for a little while after startup then slowly drops to 500. No problems with idle smoothness. Try cutting off your AC for a little while. I had issues with my '02 Tahoe where the throttle body was dirty which caused a slightly low idle. When the AC kicked on the idle would drop below the cutoff level for the AC so it would cut off. That would immediately cause the throttle to climb back to the level that could run the AC. Vicious cycle. Is your idle "lumpy" or does it feel like it's cycling?

sparsons79
04-28-11, 05:41 PM
Thanks...little "lumpy" shakes the passenger seat. I cleaned the TB with cleaner and a toothbrush as well. I'm just wondering if it needs a tune, even though I'm not ready. Guess I could try some fuel injector cleaner, but really do not believe in that stuff.

I haven't hooked it up to an external tach, but my dash tach shows 500rpm if I remember correctly. Goes to 1000rpm for a little while after startup then slowly drops to 500. No problems with idle smoothness. Try cutting off your AC for a little while. I had issues with my '02 Tahoe where the throttle body was dirty which caused a slightly low idle. When the AC kicked on the idle would drop below the cutoff level for the AC so it would cut off. That would immediately cause the throttle to climb back to the level that could run the AC. Vicious cycle. Is your idle "lumpy" or does it feel like it's cycling?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-02-11, 12:28 PM
sparsons79, did your dealership check the vehicle or did you simply ask them if there was anything that needed to be done to the vehicle as far as a tune up goes? You may want to see what they have to say about the fuel cleaners and other products like that. They should have a good recommendation for you just as 48Dodge has done for you as well. I hope the suggestions you get help you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Punmax
05-02-11, 06:53 PM
My truck had rough idle to the point where it would stall and not start again. Dealer did several things, and $2000 later, it's finally fixed. Does your service traction control/stabilitrak message come on?

Mha
05-03-11, 12:58 AM
My service stabilitrak just came on whats the cost on that