: Twin Turbo 3.0 to be used in Cadillac V-Series Vehicles

Lord Cadillac
04-28-11, 01:12 PM
Uh oh. Just sayin'... I'm assuming we'll still see a V8 in the CTS-V but there's a possibility we may not.. I have a strong feeling we won't see a V8 in the ATS-V..

Stingroo
04-28-11, 01:14 PM
Link? Source? Anything? :yawn:

OffThaHorseCEO
04-28-11, 01:14 PM
uuuuuugggggghhhh

Lord Cadillac
04-28-11, 01:45 PM
Remember what I say and when it happens, remember that I said it. :p I'm pretty sure Cadillac will keep a V8 in the CTS-V but I don't expect it in the ATS-V and I wouldn't be completely surprised if we found no V8 in the CTS-V. :D

Link? Source? Anything? :yawn:

gary88
04-28-11, 01:56 PM
The new M3 will be a turbo 6, if Cadillac wants to compete with the 3-series/M3 with the ATS then I expect them to have a similar offering. If Cadillac wants to keep the CTS-V competitive there's no way they would put anything other than a V8 in it.

drewsdeville
04-28-11, 02:01 PM
The new M3 will be a turbo 6, if Cadillac wants to compete with the 3-series/M3 with the ATS then I expect them to have a similar offering. If Cadillac wants to keep the CTS-V competitive there's no way they would put anything other than a V8 in it.

:yeah:

hueterm
04-28-11, 02:24 PM
LOL, welcome to the club, V guys -- why should you be any less let down than the rest of us?

concorso
04-28-11, 02:29 PM
Remember what I say and when it happens, remember that I said it. :p I'm pretty sure Cadillac will keep a V8 in the CTS-V but I don't expect it in the ATS-V and I wouldn't be completely surprised if we found no V8 in the CTS-V. :DWhat would they replace it with? Do you really see GM getting 600hp+ out of the 3.0L twinturbo? Sure its doable, but the cost will skyrocket, and I dont see the need as long as GM keeps making affordable, reliable and easy to fix and modify V8's. GM is having alot of trouble with the HFV6, anyhow... I still believe the next CTS-V will have an updated smallblock V8. It just makes sense. For every CTS-V sold (especially if it gets more expensive) therell be a few thousand Cruzes sold. I can understand it in the ATS-V, but not in the CTS-V...Making 450 hp reliably from a 3L is along way from 600+ hp reliably. I think Cadillac would lose alot of their CTS-V customers...

Lord Cadillac
04-28-11, 02:42 PM
I have very little doubt that the next CTS-V will have a V8. I just wouldn't bet my life/be completely surprised if it didn't. Then again, I wouldn't even be ALL THAT surprised if they didn't have a V-Series at all..

Again, this is all just something I'm saying "isn't" impossible. Remember, Cadillac has done a lot of things that surprised the hell out of us in recent years..

The ATS-V is probably not going to have a V8 and the CTS-V probably will...

Cadillac Tony
04-28-11, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all by a TT V6 in the ATS-V, since it matches up perfectly with the car's mission of lighter, smaller and more nimble than the CTS.

The SC V8 in the CTS-V isn't going anywhere unless gas goes to $10 a gallon or something, at which point BMW and MB would do the same thing anyway.

concorso
04-28-11, 02:55 PM
I hope for a V8 in the ATS-V, I really do. I do agree tho, that theres a great chance itll be a 6.
I cant see them dropping the V series yet, but its not unlikely. The CTS-V seems to be the only model in Cadillacs lineup right now that actually competes well. The SRX sells well, but I dont think it works as a Cadillac. If Cadillac is truly going after BMW, the present SRX should be a Buick. The previous SRX fit Cadillacs aim better...

concorso
04-28-11, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all by a TT V6 in the ATS-V, since it matches up perfectly with the car's mission of lighter, smaller and more nimble than the CTS.I dont know the specific numbers, but IIRC, the LY7 was only about 80 or 90 lbs lighter then the LS3. Add a turbo or 2,intercooler, and piping, and Im not so sure itll be that much lighter then the LS3. Its a tall engine too, so the center of gravity is higher then the smallblock.

Id love to see the actually weights of the 2.8Lturbo in the SRX or Saab..especially 2.8Lturbo in the AeroX as it had alot of forged parts.

V-Eight
04-28-11, 07:10 PM
Although I'd prefer a V8 in the ATS, I wouldn't have major problems with a TT6. The CTS-V IMO needs a V8 though.

thebigjimsho
04-28-11, 07:49 PM
The ATS is an all new car. If it gets a TTV6, I don't care, as long as it well represents the V brand...

JimmyH
04-28-11, 08:34 PM
The V series will stick around. No matter how expensive gas gets. Most of them are garage queens anyway. They will probably get more expensive/more limited production.

I wish they would do two levels of CTS-V. The ATS is too small, the CTS-V is too expensive. I don't need, or even want 600hp. I would love another 400-450 hp CTS-V.

thebigjimsho
04-28-11, 10:04 PM
Then stop selling them, Jimmeh!

Stingroo
04-28-11, 10:09 PM
Now that's thinkin' with your dipstick, JIMMEH.

thebigjimsho
04-28-11, 10:14 PM
Where's BOOMBOTZ? I need my video avatar, or just regular avatar, back!

CTSV_Rob
04-28-11, 10:27 PM
Uh oh. Just sayin'... I'm assuming we'll still see a V8 in the CTS-V but there's a possibility we may not.. I have a strong feeling we won't see a V8 in the ATS-V..

I'm guessing the next gen CTS-V will have the 5.5 liter direct inject they are talking about putting in the next gen C7 vettes. They need to put the CTS-V on a diet and then introduce a little new tech to an aging platform (The engine I mean, not the car).

LOL, welcome to the club, V guys -- why should you be any less let down than the rest of us?
Unlike the N* guys, we are not used to disappointment :hide:

The V series will stick around. No matter how expensive gas gets. Most of them are garage queens anyway. They will probably get more expensive/more limited production.

I wish they would do two levels of CTS-V. The ATS is too small, the CTS-V is too expensive. I don't need, or even want 600hp. I would love another 400-450 hp CTS-V.
think 5.5 Liter direct inject Jimmy.

I am guessing the other Jim would rather be blown than injected though :)

BTW, found a blower for your Camaro...
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41597_128357180531773_2892_n.jpg

Lord Cadillac
04-28-11, 10:52 PM
I think GM may be working with another company on another V8 - but I don't have any details on that...

JimmyH
04-28-11, 11:02 PM
nah, you know me, I'm an NA kind of guy. Someday, headers and a cam. And replace the stupid front struts with some real shocks. Probably a full exhaust. Upgraded springs and real lifters. Race CVs....dammit! Don't go there!!!

Ok, back on topic...That whole 5.5 thing is still a rumour at this point. One of the car rags said that came from a GM insider, so alot of folks are buying into it. I did. But I have it on good authority that the 5.5, at this point anyway, is strictly the Vette racing motor. It's an LS7 with reinforced cylinders.

Right now, I would wager the GenV could be 5.0. Maybe even smaller. With GM's new propensity towards FI, they certainly don't need a 6 liter. With CAFE2020 coming (and a possible 45mpg 10 years after that) they really need NOT to have it. I cringe at the thought of abandoning the tried, and true, and easy to maintain pushrod. But you know they are gonna do it eventually. A direct-injected, variably-timed DOHC 5.0 V8, under the skillful massage of GM Perf could easily crank out 450 hp. Detuned, they could make a sleepy 380-400 hp, yield 30mpg highway in a lightened Camaro/ATS-V/Impala, and maybe 32-34 mpg in a Corvette. Blown, an easy 550. With this alleged hybrid super/turbo that has been whispered about for years, 600+. In the last 5 years, GM has proven they have what it takes to lead the pack, even if they haven't taken that final leap. We could be on the verge of some exciting times.

gary88
04-28-11, 11:02 PM
Could it be... Hyundai...? :suspense:

JimmyH
04-28-11, 11:05 PM
GM has partnered with BMW before. And Ford. And Toyota. And Subaru. And Suzuki. etc etc.

JimmyH
04-28-11, 11:07 PM
btw, one of my camaro brethren gave up his LT for several months. it's currently the guinea pig for a front-intercooled TT project that is projected to make an easy 525 crank.

V-Eight
04-29-11, 12:25 PM
I think GM may be working with another company on another V8 - but I don't have any details on that...

Mercury Marine....?

JimmyH
04-29-11, 03:56 PM
they closed that florida plant years ago. I am pretty sure all their engine operations are up in Wisconsin now.