: How do I store for 6 months?

OldHiker
04-28-11, 01:03 PM
I am putting my 2011 coupe into storage for 6 months while my wife & I travel in our rv. If I disconnect the battery or if I leave connected and it goes dead, how do I get in?:hmm:

khoeysr
04-28-11, 01:10 PM
There is a stiletto key in your fob. You pull it out by grabbing the chrome trim on the bottom of the fob. Under the chrome piece on the trunk lid is a manual lock you can unlock with that key to open the trunk. Once in the trunk you can pull the lever on the upper surface of the trunk to pop open a door.

Rinse. Repeat.

newcadman
04-28-11, 01:10 PM
Probably best to store it just like doing a winter storage. Fill the gas tank full and add some fuel stabilizer, put about 40 psi in the tires, disconnect the battery ( 13 mm socket for negative terminal) and throw a car cover over it.

When re-connecting the battery don't be surprised if the security system engages ( horn starts to honk, lights flash). Just hit the lock/ unlock buttons on the fob to shut it off.

OldHiker
04-28-11, 02:21 PM
Thank you! Just went back to the storage and disconnected the battery, tried the key and it works as you stated.

Thanks again.
Ken

concorso
04-28-11, 03:05 PM
Probably best to store it just like doing a winter storage. Fill the gas tank full and add some fuel stabilizer, put about 40 psi in the tires, disconnect the battery ( 13 mm socket for negative terminal) and throw a car cover over it.

When re-connecting the battery don't be surprised if the security system engages ( horn starts to honk, lights flash). Just hit the lock/ unlock buttons on the fob to shut it off.Just to be safe, Id add something to absorb moisture since the A/C wont run. Fluid changes before you take it back out might be a good idea, too.

OldHiker
04-28-11, 04:29 PM
I did everything suggested, tire pressure, desiccants packs in trunk and interior, wash, fill tank & add stabilizer. When I went to disconnect the battery, I realized I might not be able to get back in. Dealer did not know either.

Really appreciate the fast response.

turbol15
04-28-11, 06:14 PM
ctek battery maintainer

jessekgoddard
04-28-11, 06:23 PM
I think the ctek is a better option than taking the battery out or disconnecting as well

OldHiker
04-28-11, 07:18 PM
I would certainly do this if electric was available. I have 2 other cars that I maintain that way in my garage.

JimmyH
04-28-11, 07:25 PM
don't disconnect the battery. use a float charger.

jzchen
04-30-11, 12:30 AM
+1 on the float charger. I have some extension cords running from outlets outside the house maybe a good 50ft to two cars. Got mine from Walmart for under $25 if I remember correctly. Michelin recommends you lift the car up so as not to cause tire issues. (I just read it in the little Michelin Manual and Warranty booklet that came with the car.) I saw stands at Walmart but I think I bought some at Harbor Freight Tools, besides some I got at Sears...