: Porosity tsb help

rphctsv
04-28-11, 11:29 AM
Couple months ago someone had put up a tsb and some pics about it, but I had forgot to save it. It was about leaking fluid/porosity. I think I may have same issue as I notice some fluid leak behind oil pan drain plug when I change my engine oil BUT my oil level NEVER gets low. So I suspect transmission? Have an appointment with dealer but I would like a reference TSB to go by. If anyone can help, please chime in. Thanks. Bruce

Gary Wells
04-28-11, 11:45 AM
That case of porosity that you are referring to might be Curtis, alias user name "cbloveday" on this forum. He had some issues with porosity about a month or so back. Or search his threads / posts.

newcadman
04-28-11, 12:58 PM
My understanding is that Curtis had his dealership do the porosity oil leak tsb "fix" and if not mistaken it started to show signs of leaking shortly after the repair!

Might want to have the dealership put some dye in the engine oil to determine where the leak is coming from first.

cbloveday
04-28-11, 02:56 PM
Correct guys. First thing the dealership did was put dye in and sent me on my eay to return in a few hundred miles. Upon return, it was diagnosed as the porosity issue. I had the work done and it leaked worse than before. When I swapped engines Jesse analyzed where the leak was coming from and what happened is they fixed the porosity issue but there is apparently a sequene to tighten the bolts on the oil pan and it was not followed. So I got a crack from tension at where the oil pan mates up. The stress crack!

RapidRob
04-28-11, 06:43 PM
I also had an oil leak and took it in to have the tsb done. They did the dye thing as well, and went back after a few miles to have it checked out. In my case, the leak was coming from the oil pan as well. They replaced the gasket and did the proper bolt sequence re-install. The, "porosity", issue was not evident in my case.

Rob

GMX322V S/C
04-28-11, 06:51 PM
...they fixed the porosity issue but there is apparently a sequene to tighten the bolts on the oil pan and it was not followed. So I got a crack from tension at where the oil pan mates up. The stress crack!Further evidence GM needs to better qualify and certify the mechanics allowed to work on this class of car. I bet the late-model high-performance F-body and ZR1 folks have similar concerns. :annoyed:

Razorecko
04-28-11, 09:41 PM
Correct guys. First thing the dealership did was put dye in and sent me on my eay to return in a few hundred miles. Upon return, it was diagnosed as the porosity issue. I had the work done and it leaked worse than before. When I swapped engines Jesse analyzed where the leak was coming from and what happened is they fixed the porosity issue but there is apparently a sequene to tighten the bolts on the oil pan and it was not followed. So I got a crack from tension at where the oil pan mates up. The stress crack!

I hope you relayed this info back to the dealer :yup:

cbloveday
04-28-11, 09:52 PM
I did and it was done in a professional manner. I advised them that this is what my engine builder told me.
I must say the dealership has been nothing short of stellar in taking care of me. They were prepared to do whatever was required to make the leak stop.
It became a mute point because I was having the engine swapped out.

We have the kind of relationship where I told them "I got tired of the oil stains in my garage and put a new engine in to stop the leak."
The initial look on their faces was a kodak moment.

Razorecko
04-28-11, 10:13 PM
I did and it was done in a professional manner. I advised them that this is what my engine builder told me.
I must say the dealership has been nothing short of stellar in taking care of me. They were prepared to do whatever was required to make the leak stop.
It became a mute point because I was having the engine swapped out.

We have the kind of relationship where I told them "I got tired of the oil stains in my garage and put a new engine in to stop the leak."
The initial look on their faces was a kodak moment.

Off-topic but with your new power #'s have you checked the temp of the trans fluid ? Possibly consider running a nice setrab transmission cooler to lengthen the time before you go and take the V under the knife again ? Especially when that nice chicago 100 degree 100% humidity weather comes knockin on our doors

cbloveday
04-28-11, 10:41 PM
Raz I have been watching the trans temp like and Eagle, and have also changed the trans & diff fluid every year. I know, overkill.
Currently with the 56 degree weather over the last week, she has been running around 130 on highway and 138-142 in stop and go.

I would love to get a setrab, only thing stopping me is I need help figuring out the system and routing.
I am having difficulty figuring out which setrab core to use, mounting location, and hardware required (hoses, clamps, connectors).

Care to help me figure this out. I looked at the D3 trans cooler but It seems expensive when I priced it out. The good thing about it though, it is a kit.

Razorecko
04-28-11, 11:35 PM
Raz I have been watching the trans temp like and Eagle, and have also changed the trans & diff fluid every year. I know, overkill.
Currently with the 56 degree weather over the last week, she has been running around 130 on highway and 138-142 in stop and go.

I would love to get a setrab, only thing stopping me is I need help figuring out the system and routing.
I am having difficulty figuring out which setrab core to use, mouting location, and hardware required (hoses, clamps, connectors).

Care to help me figue this out. I looked at the D3 trans cooler but It seems expensive when I priced it out. The good thing about it though, it is a kit.

Actually this might work better and keep some $$ in your pocket...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70298/

and a slightly bigger one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70297/

built in t-stat, w/ fan and is decent in size. I dont know if it would fit exactly but you might be able to get it in near the passenger side air duct. Pull that duct out and with the fan I think you'd see a nice drop in temps and same that extra $ for that trans upgrade later down the road