: Got bored during lunch today and decided to hack the update disk.....

wait4me
04-27-11, 10:51 PM
I wrote some custom code to allow the radio to be updated via flash drive as well.

What this means is.

I bypassed the need for a secret code to be entered when you try to upgrade your radio and maps to version 3.0.

No need for discs, as it is all done by usb now for quicker updates.

Also made it bypass all the safety checks for running non gm code.

So you can update and change basically anything your heart desires.... Voices, map data, icons, start up screens ect..

The files are 6+ gigs so you will need a 8gig usb memory stick.

After i get some free time, "which might be a year from now" I will start doing lots of stuff for the radio when time permits. Like bypassing the code structure for speed lockouts, and video inputs, warning screens, ect.

Windows mobile 5 is pretty easy to figure out...

I however wont have the time to explain what i did nor how you can use this to your advantage. I just dont have that free time.

I guess the disclamer. Once i release my work, you are on your own. If you mess up your radio, which you might if you go modding things, you are on your own, gm will not warrenty the radio.

The updating though is tested 100% on 5 cars here at the shop so they all accidently got upgraded for free after i tried it on my own 2 cars.....

gut2727
04-27-11, 11:05 PM
Really hoping mine was a victim... You crazy bastard... Basho would want it that way...

Razorecko
04-27-11, 11:09 PM
So how do we get this fun hack ?...Ironically I was thinking today how cool it would be today to get the "temp" stamp changed on the nav to read a/f instead.

wait4me
04-27-11, 11:20 PM
Raz, it might be possible, i would just have to spend time,.. In ida pro on dissasembly, i do see a text line "User-defined signal 1..User-defined signal 2..Pure virtual fn call"

But i would have to trace cpu instructions to that exact point and see how it is called... Then figure out what it can be for inputs, THEN you would have to change and jp from temp to the 0 to 5 volt new code.

e6t
04-27-11, 11:46 PM
How would one obtain such a disk if one were so inclined?

PhxTriode
04-28-11, 12:15 PM
Did I miss something??

radio and maps version 3?

JFJr
04-28-11, 12:45 PM
Would it be possible to download nav system address book data to a USB drive plugged into the center console, before doing an older TSB that supposedly fixes glitches like the radio turning on by itself after the car is started? The TSB erases that data and I don't want to recreate a few dozen saved destinations. It would be great to have that capability and reload the saved data after the fix. My dealership has not figured out how to do it.

Jud

Rule12b
04-28-11, 04:01 PM
I'm wondering this as well. Now, if you wrote code that uploaded my contacts and addresses from my iPhone so I could one-touch voice dial, I'd pay you a mint.

SuperBeast
04-28-11, 04:26 PM
How could u get bored? LOL...Don't you have like an engine to put together?!?..
whats the status? we are a week past due and no set time frame that we've been able to set, again?
pls advise
Jeff
p.s. am i one of those 5 cars there that got the update for free :) !!

EVIL_C5
04-28-11, 04:43 PM
If nav in motion is possible, that's worth a bunch. Rather do this than a lock pick.