: Has anyone polished their super charger lid?

cbloveday
04-27-11, 11:22 PM
The reason I ask is with the LSX block, it sits a little higher and I have now worn through the rough finish on the top left corner. It is a small blemish about the size of this smiley :rolleyes:

Anyway, for esthetic purposes, I was considering polishing the rough finish on the top entirely.

Before I do this I was wondering if the lid polishes up well, and if it would help cooling or hinder performance.

Any ideas on the this or the process involved? Grit etc. etc.

I am planning to go to the track SUNDAY. I just got some fresh MTs and waiting for my handheld to arrive. I thought I would work on this Saturday if avisable.

TIA

PhxTriode
04-27-11, 11:36 PM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/46abc36f-d297-8b03.jpg

I know it's not the entire lid but an idea at least of what it might look like.

I don't think it will change it's properties for cooling considering the less surface area of the rough cast.

As far as process, I'm sorry but I didn't polish mine it was part of the modification. I don't believe you will be able to get it done in a day though.

cbloveday
04-27-11, 11:45 PM
Very Nice! I think I am going to have a go at it.

Thank you

baabootoo
04-28-11, 12:26 AM
I'll eventually go with the brushed look to match the rest of the engine.

rjoffe
04-28-11, 01:00 AM
Isn't that the lid from this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/222737-stiegemeier-lsa-blower-lid-release-pics.html

Reason I bring it up is that I am not sure this is a polished lid, rather is a piece that was welded onto the top of the lid. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

EVIL_C5
04-28-11, 08:29 AM
Polished aluminum will not transfer heat as well as the rough aluminum due to slightly more surface area on the rough aluminum. polished will reflect heat better, but thats not the issue a supercharger will have.

how much difference is it? im not sure, but I bet there are lots of books out there that talk in detail about thermodynamics.

it looks very cool to have it polished, but I think there is a cost in performance to do it.

Gary Wells
04-28-11, 09:19 AM
Not to be judgmental, and to each his own, Curtis, but that is a tad over the hill on bling for my tastes for a Cad V. If it were me, I would look for someone who can do quality engine turning, and considerably less brilliance in the shine department. HTH, FWIW & IMHO.

cbloveday
04-28-11, 09:24 AM
I am not doing it for bling Gary. When you pop the lid you see this very small worn spot on the passenger side top of the supercharger.

It is from the hood protector barely touching the highest point on the supercharger.

It is driving me crazy.
I just wanted a uniform appearance.

EVIL_C5
04-28-11, 09:37 AM
3m roloc disc and a dremel would even out the appearance but not remove surface area.

Gary Wells
04-28-11, 09:59 AM
Curtis, I know that you are not doing it for that reason, but bottom line is that the end results will be the same.

PhxTriode
04-28-11, 12:53 PM
Isn't that the lid from this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/222737-stiegemeier-lsa-blower-lid-release-pics.html

Reason I bring it up is that I am not sure this is a polished lid, rather is a piece that was welded onto the top of the lid. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

You are correct, this is one the prototypes I contracted to be done. Although it gives an idea of what the polishing may look like.

PhxTriode
04-28-11, 12:54 PM
Not to be judgmental, and to each his own, Curtis, but that is a tad over the hill on bling for my tastes for a Cad V. If it were me, I would look for someone who can do quality engine turning, and considerably less brilliance in the shine department. HTH, FWIW & IMHO.

Gary, if I were to do it again I would have powdered the whole thig to look stock. I just don't want the down time to send it out.

PhxTriode
04-28-11, 12:54 PM
Curtis, what about just having it bead blasted to smooth the appearance of the rub mark?

PhxTriode
04-28-11, 12:57 PM
Polished aluminum will not transfer heat as well as the rough aluminum due to slightly more surface area on the rough aluminum. polished will reflect heat better, but thats not the issue a supercharger will have.

how much difference is it? im not sure, but I bet there are lots of books out there that talk in detail about thermodynamics.

it looks very cool to have it polished, but I think there is a cost in performance to do it.

At his level and with the amount of Nos he is spraying through his TB plate, the amount of less efficient heat transfer between cast and polished is a moot point.

cbloveday
04-28-11, 01:29 PM
I have an compressor powered dye grinder and I will look for an appropriate set of bits.

Should not take forever that way.

So would the polished release heat more heat into the engine bay and then have a cooler charge as a result or would it raise the temps in the engine bay and the supercharger as well?

PhxTriode
04-28-11, 01:37 PM
I have an compressor powered dye grinder and I will look for an appropriate set of bits.

Should not take forever that way.

So would the polished release heat more heat into the engine bay and then have a cooler charge as a result or would it raise the temps in the engine bay and the supercharger as well?

The lid will not shed heat as fast, but honestly your not talking about a significant amount. You will be fine.

eastwood is probably your best bet for sanding and polishing products.