: Clear bra

MrHolland
04-27-11, 09:09 PM
I spoke to an installer about putting the bra on the front bumper, complete hood, headlights, mirrors, rockers and a portion of the rear bumper of my black 2010 Escalade. He quoted a price of $1800, which seems a bit excessive to me. When questioned I determined covering the whole hood was driving the up the cost. I wanted the complete hood covered to hide any lines. The gentleman had an early 2000 midsized SUV with a bra on it and indicated that the job was 5-7 yrs old. The quality of work wasn’t too bad but the actual film did have quite a bit of orange peel. The installer said because of the thickness of the film it wouldn’t be as smooth as the paint. I was immediately turned off when I saw it on the hood of his car. Does modern film still have orange peel?? I believe he said he uses Venture Shield. I can’t put that on the hood of my car, especially with it being black.

ghettomike
04-27-11, 11:43 PM
3m is the best...theres a lot of cheaper ones coming out of china now.
whole hood is excessive...but its your car. im going to to ust the hoos to the back of the headlight edge, a shop is usually 3-400 for bumper, fender sections, hood section and mirrors.

Nof55
04-28-11, 12:03 AM
I used 3M on mine and you are hard pressed to see it installed

JimmyH
04-28-11, 01:24 AM
moved to escalade

Fishcakes
04-28-11, 11:21 AM

I have been told that black is the least compatible color for these clear bras .
They tend to show more on a black finish .

Fish

andre_outlaw
04-28-11, 02:23 PM

i seen it right away on your..LOL

MrHolland
04-28-11, 03:48 PM
moved to escalade

Im not sure why you moved me, this isnt an Escalade specific thread. I intentionally posted in the car sections because I figure there are more of them being driven on road trips and the clear bra may be more popular among that crowd.

JimmyH
04-28-11, 03:53 PM
You should have mentioned that. I asked a supermod to move it back. I can't do it.

lousy_investor
04-29-11, 07:56 PM
i seen it right away on your..LOL

My thought EXACTLY. :)

My ex-wife had it done on her mini cooper. 3M at the dealership. My heart sank when we went to pick it up. Didn't realize it would be that obvious.

Fast forward 7 years. A friend of mine had it done just now on her Audi TT. Looks ridiculous. Perhaps to many it is invisible. But it is like an eye sore to me.

MrHolland
04-30-11, 12:34 AM
Thank you all very much for taking the time to make some suggestions. I have a very discriminating eye but would rather see Clear Bra than bugs and stone chips. Ill research the installers and hopefully will report back how happy I am. Thank you once again.

MrHolland
05-16-11, 12:05 AM
OK so heres some what of an update. If youre in the Omaha NE area and are in the market for a clear bra, you might want to steer clear of Mr. Tint. I stopped by there in my Platinum Escalade to inquire about having a Clear Bra installed. After I told the gentleman what I had in mind, he decided to illistrate what most other people have installed by taking his nasty little finger and drawing a line halfway across my hood and down the fender in the thin layer of dust that had formed. Did I mention that my Platinum Escalade is black??.... I climbed into my car and left........