: Clear bra

MrHolland
04-27-11, 09:04 PM
I spoke to an installer about putting the bra on the front bumper, complete hood, headlights, mirrors, rockers and a portion of the rear bumper of my black 2010 Escalade. He quoted a price of $1800, which seems a bit excessive to me. When questioned I determined covering the whole hood was driving the up the cost. I wanted the complete hood covered to hide any lines. The gentleman had an early 2000 midsized SUV with a bra on it and indicated that the job was 5-7 yrs old. The quality of work wasn’t too bad but the actual film did have quite a bit of orange peel. The installer said because of the thickness of the film, maybe 3mm, that it wouldn’t be as smooth as the paint. I was immediately turned off when I saw it on the hood of his car. Does modern film still have orange peel?? I believe he said he uses Venture Shield. I can’t put that on the hood of my car, especially with it being black.

dkozloski
04-27-11, 09:26 PM
It's hard to believe that the film is 3mm thick. That's 1/8 of an inch; about like a clear plastic carpet runner.

KRSTS
04-27-11, 10:14 PM
I spoke to an installer about putting the bra on the front bumper, complete hood, headlights, mirrors, rockers and a portion of the rear bumper of my black 2010 Escalade. He quoted a price of $1800, which seems a bit excessive to me. When questioned I determined covering the whole hood was driving the up the cost. I wanted the complete hood covered to hide any lines. The gentleman had an early 2000 midsized SUV with a bra on it and indicated that the job was 5-7 yrs old. The quality of work wasn’t too bad but the actual film did have quite a bit of orange peel. The installer said because of the thickness of the film, maybe 3mm, that it wouldn’t be as smooth as the paint. I was immediately turned off when I saw it on the hood of his car. Does modern film still have orange peel?? I believe he said he uses Venture Shield. I can’t put that on the hood of my car, especially with it being black.

Don't forget the fuzzy dice:helpless:

MrHolland
04-27-11, 10:48 PM
Don't forget the fuzzy dice:helpless:

I dont even know what that means........

EChas3
04-27-11, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't. Opinoins vary.

chazglenn3
04-28-11, 10:24 AM
I would think just the front edge of the hood would be sufficient.

tbiddle
04-29-11, 05:46 PM
My wife and I use to install paint protection film. It is very labor intensive. I think that 3M bought Ventureshield and both are excellent products. The key to your satisfaction is finding the right installer for the right price. The best product we have found to maintain the film finish is Plexus. Most 'kits' can use everything from 12" wide material on the hood to a complete coverage. I just traded in our '04 Pacifica with 217K and the front end was flawless because of the film. Good luck.

Greg00coupe
04-29-11, 07:19 PM
My wife has a black car and I'm thinking it was around $1K. It's 3M... About 3 foot up the hood. The front end less the bumper and the side mirrors. It's been on 4 -5 years and looks perfect.

MrHolland
04-30-11, 12:29 AM
Thank you all very much for taking the time to make some suggestions. I have a very discriminating eye but would rather see Clear Bra than bugs and stone chips. Ill research the installers and hopefully will report back how happy I am. Thank you once again.