: 2005 STS4 Purchase Opinions

MrDeeds
04-27-11, 06:27 PM
I'm currently looking at an 05 Cadillac STS4 V8 1SG with 30,000 miles.
The owner wants $14,000 for it, which based on a clean avg condition is what a dealer would pay for the car according to a manheim mmr.

The car is two states away from me but im considering getting a vehicle inspection report just to so when i see the car in person im not disappointed by anything the owner failed to mention.

I naively assumed a 6yr old car with 30,000 miles would be in close to perfect condition but boy was i wrong. I had the owner send me a couple interior pics because all i'd seen were exterior. He told me he had a dog and the back seat leather was a little scratched up but the condition of the interior is just terrible.

So what would you guys do? Would you walk away from this one or negotiate the price down to potentially cover the cost of getting the leather replaced. I haven't gotten any quotes on what that would cost but i had a car years ago that got quoted $1000 for all new leather.

I'm trying to stay open minded because this car can look 10 times better than it does now after a full detail but i just can't imagine how an interior gets this bad. I've got a 10yr old maxima with a leather interior that doesn't look this bad.

KRSTS
04-27-11, 06:49 PM
IMHO walk away. I wouln't pay more than $10k for a seven year old STS, no matter what the miles or condition.:hmm:

johnny kannapo
04-27-11, 06:58 PM
It could be worse. The dog ruined my Cuppichino Cream back seat. Offer less. Even if you travel 2 states away, nobody is forcing you to buy it. Arrange some other cars to look at along the way. That's how I do it.

What is the significance to STS4 1SG?

chagrin falls
04-27-11, 07:55 PM
sooo-you're thinking of buying a car that is almost 7 model years old from a guy who let his dog trash the interior. no one loves their dogs more than me but they never saw the inside of my STS which i replaced with a new cts. at least he should have covered the seats!!! who knows how he cared for the rest of the car. plus, with the car being out of state you can't even drive the car you're considering. AND you are totally out of warranty on a car that can/will require big repair bills. i agree with johnny-look locally-there are cheap STS's everywhere which still might have some warranty left.

MrDeeds
04-27-11, 08:34 PM
The significance of the sts4 1sg is that it has every option available on the v8 05 including awd, adaptive cruise, and hud.

I've been looking for this car for a couple weeks now and I can't find any in my area in this price range that doesn't have 80,000 plus miles.

I'm in Chicago so if someone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Awd is an unfortunate necessity. I'm also not interested in the v6 or 07 and 08s.

I'd also like to add that regardless of which STS I purchase ill be getting an extended warranty from my credit union.

EChas3
04-27-11, 09:41 PM
I don't see evidence of ACC. Even if it really is a 1SG with all the goodies, I'd put it closer to $10k. Is it the color you really want? How good is the finish? Does it really run well and have had all the common issues tended? What Nav Disk comes with it? Does it have the digital Onstar upgrade? What really matter to you?

If original, the tires are overdue for replacement for age; they aren't safe. You'll want a warranty and it doesn't qualify for CPO or GMPP. Have you seen the GM VIN report? (Does it have all the TSB's installed, Nav firmware, etc.)

Low-mileage certified 2008's with everything are being offered in the low 20k's around here. 3 years ~ $10,000, maybe more considering warranty. A 2005 might have been built 7 years ago and the interior may be the least of its issues.

chagrin falls
04-27-11, 09:47 PM
as i tell everyone-take the last 8 digits of the car's vin to a gm dealer and they will run a real good history of the car from its in service date. do not rely on carfax!

MrDeeds
04-27-11, 10:41 PM
Echas3, I verified 1sg based on it being an 05 with acc and hud(ran the vin through a decoder). The exterior pics also has the acc wreath on the grille.

chagrin, I intend on doing that tomorrow. Based on what the owner told me though, it wasn't a cpo and it's doubtful the original owner purchased a 100,000 mile extended when the car was new.

I've been lurking on the forums for a couple weeks now and most of the advice I've seen on price points on this car have been way off. The 05-06 STS V8 goes for anywhere between 11,000 to 17,000 based on mileage and condition. I can post all the recent sales if you guys need proof of that.

I would buy the car at the auction but all the ones that come up for sale are rwd and usually are the V8 Base.

This purpose of this car is for it to become my new daily driver thats why I was more concerned with getting one with relatively low mileage and all the bells and whistles. I just need it to run for the next 5 years without any major failures.

I still think the car is a good deal anywhere between 11,000 to 12,500 even with the interior issues.
I'm going to express my concerns to the seller in the morning and I'll report back.

EChas3
04-27-11, 11:09 PM
No offense intended; do as you prefer. I must have missed the exterior shots and the interiors look like the DPO didn't care about his car. Little things can say a lot.

V8's are cheaper by the day and a 2005 daily driver will require repairs, maybe many. The toys are a lot of fun but they break and Cadillac dealers are expensive. These cars are quite complex and even if you're handy, the right tools and recylced parts will add up. If you don't buy a warranty, get the service manual, Alldata or the like and set aside some money every month to 'self-insure'.

MrDeeds
04-27-11, 11:57 PM
Not offended at all EChas3, I appreciate a different viewpoint.
I've been quoted a 48month 48000 mile exclusionary warranty from my credit union for $1300 with no deductible, it could be as cheap as $850 with a $250 deductible.

The reason I'm not looking at an 07-09 sts or trying to spend 20-25 grand is because I personally don't consider the sts a good deal at that price point. Yea the 05-06 is considered old by some but I feel like if I can find the right one with the right mileage, options, and condition it's one of the best vehicles for the money.

torogt
04-28-11, 10:24 AM
IMHO walk away. I wouln't pay more than $10k for a seven year old STS, no matter what the miles or condition.:hmm:

Find me a 05-06 STS with 30K for $10K I paid $16K for my 06 with 87K so IMHO 14K for the car is really not that bad of price. Forgot to mention it has to be a 1SG AWD with N*

chazglenn3
04-28-11, 10:59 AM
MrDeeds, since you have a pretty good deal lined up for an extended warranty, I would not rule out higher mileage cars. I bought my 2005 STS N* 1SF with ACC/HUD in February with 85K miles for $13K and the exterior and interior are as close to mint condition as possible. It also is in excellent operational condition. I traveled from Seattle to Phoenix to buy mine and drove it home. The warranty I purchased is 24 months, 24000 miles and cost me $2500 but it almost covers everything. I rarely keep a car longer than two years so this works for me. I'll be in the hunt for a 2008 or 2009 STS-V by then :)

justwinbaby60
04-28-11, 01:53 PM
As someone who shopped for an 05-07 STS for about 8 months,I agree about some of the prices mentioned as nonsense.I bought an 06 STS4 1SG with 43k and every option in great shape for 18500.00 and felt like I was stealing it.The replacement seat covers for that car are going to be very expensive because its probably got the upgraded leather,so I would budget more than 1000.00,you also may consider some used interior pieces,but 1SG cars are hard to find sometimes.It seems like a pretty good deal depending on the cost to make it right.I work at a GM dealer and could look into the vehicle history with the last 8 of the vin

EChas3
04-28-11, 10:44 PM
I work at a GM dealer and could look into the vehicle history with the last 8 of the vin

Do this!

To JustWin... Way to pay it forward...

MrDeeds
04-29-11, 02:15 AM
I appreciate all the suggestions and I've decided to widen my search to higher mileage cars. No more than about 65k miles. If that doesn't work then ill consider just getting the rwd no matter how much I hate driving rwd in the snow.

JustWin, I appreciate the offer and I'll take you up on that vin history lookup. As far as the price of new leather, I wasn't going to try and duplicate the 1sg leather. I'd most likely go with a new custom interior, something along the lines of what d3 offers. Suede headliner and all, so the car would probably end up looking more like a sts-v inside.

bbjorklund99
04-29-11, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I found the prices all over the place and most dealers were not willing to deal. The price for 06's with less than 50k were running in the 18,500-22,000+ depending on options. I finally found a dealer that was willing to deal. I bought an 06 RWD V6 fully loaded with 44,900 for $18,000 out the door. Basically I figured I paid around $16,500 based on all the charges. I am sure I would have paid a bit more for the V8 but feel like I got a great deal on a great car. I always try to buy at the end of the month. That seems to be the only time dealers want to deal.

Good Luck on your search,

Brad

tbiddle
04-29-11, 05:56 PM
I am unable to send you a private message since I am relatively new to the forum, so I apologize to the members reading this. If you will send me an email at mtbiddle2004@comcast.net, I will send you pictures and a build sheet of my '05 STS, 1SG, Northstar V-8, AWD, diamond white/cashmere that is loaded with everything from hud to adaptive cruise. I am looking at an '08 SRX and I might be selling it. Thanks.

EChas3
04-29-11, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I found the prices all over the place and most dealers were not willing to deal. The price for 06's with less than 50k were running in the 18,500-22,000+ depending on options. I finally found a dealer that was willing to deal. I bought an 06 RWD V6 fully loaded with 44,900 for $18,000 out the door. Basically I figured I paid around $16,500 based on all the charges. I am sure I would have paid a bit more for the V8 but feel like I got a great deal on a great car. I always try to buy at the end of the month. That seems to be the only time dealers want to deal.

Wow! Those prices are close to what I paid for my 2006 1SG AWD (ACC/HUD) in 2008! I've enjoyed my STS for 2.5 years & 30,000 miles for just the gas, oil, tires & brakes?

That market is high!

bbjorklund99
04-29-11, 10:58 PM
If you paid that 2.5 years ago you must have bought it below cost. I look at these cars all over the country and they were high everywhere not just where I live. Good low mileage ones are hard to find for less than $17,000-$18,500. If you get in the 70,000-90,000 mile range I could buy them all day long for $13,000-$15,000 but I wanted a car with below 50,000 miles and it had to have sunroof, navigation, and most of the other bells and whistles. I really didn't care if it had HUD and while ACC would have been nice it certainly was not a deal breaker. The condition of the vehicle has a lot to do with the dealers willingness to deal. I feel like I got a smoking deal on mine for as clean as it was. I feel like I bought a new car for a 3rd of the cost. With the exception that the mats having a little dirt on them it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. It is hard for me to believe it has 44,000 mile base on the condition of the inside and outside. Of course it spent winters in FL and summers in MN so it was not exposed to the harsh winters of a car that spent its whole life in MN.

EChas3
04-29-11, 11:47 PM
My wife's 1-year-old 1SE (but with Hertz package of Nav, wood, etc.) with 11k miles was half its MSRP in early 2008. My 3-year-old leased 1SG AWD (ACC/HUD) was a third MSRP in late 2008 and included CPO. Only naive STS buyers pay anything close to MSRP when new.

It is true that these were the 4th & 5th cars that this dealer has sold us and he likely thought he was making about $1,000 on each deal.
My wife took them for everything but the rug on the floor. Her '98 STS trade looked great but had four expensive issues lurking.

I believe car prices bottomed-out in 2008. Econo-boxes were the only cars holding their value and next, Cash-for-Clunkers took many thousands of serviceable cars off the road. Prices have been up ever since. I think the reasons are different now but many different markets have been whacked-out since then.

Around here, I've seen 2008's like mine where the dealer is asking mid-20's instead of $22 and CPO is extra (and the coverage isn't what I have). But a fully loaded 2008 has features missing on my car, too. I saw a 2009 V8 demo priced at $39k. Prices may be up but IMHO a 2005-6 ought to be around that $14 mark. If higher, it had better be all of these:

1. Warranrteed
2. Low Miles
3. Spotless

phillip4evans
04-30-11, 01:35 AM
MrDeeds, I am in central Florida and I am looking for a 05-07 STS too. I dont care about AWD however, I do want all the options. I am having a very hard time finding one for 15-17k. If you see one with RWD and all or most of the options let me know. I don't want over 60k miles on it either.

caddyfat2
04-30-11, 02:25 AM
katzskins has very good aftermarket leather too.