: A minor Cadillac ATS (and more) update

Lord Cadillac
04-26-11, 05:59 PM
Expect the XTS in FWD/AWD, V6 and hybrid models within the next year. Soon to follow will be the ATS with 4 and 6 cylinder variants. A "V" Series is likely, but not a certainty. Sedan, Coupe and Convertible models are still planned, but wont all be available at model introduction in 2013. Then expect the slightly larger CTS to follow afterwards in sedan and later, in a coupe variant. A wagon is not likely. 4 and 6 cylinder options in RWD/AWD will be available, as will a hybrid at some point.

rand49er
07-19-11, 07:40 AM
Grand River Assembly Plant is being readied to begin production some time next year. ATS to be shown at Los Angeles Auto Show this fall.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f15/gm-restarts-cadillac-cts-production-after-retooling-plant-ats-104499/

Lord Cadillac
07-19-11, 10:38 AM
My guess is January at the Chicago Auto Show but LA would be nice...

JimmyH
07-19-11, 07:27 PM
I vote Chicago for obvious reasons. If they show it there, I am going to expect you to get us a pass on stage for a close inspection.

Lord Cadillac
07-19-11, 07:48 PM
If that's the case, I'll see what I can do...

I vote Chicago for obvious reasons. If they show it there, I am going to expect you to get us a pass on stage for a close inspection.

Lord Cadillac
07-20-11, 04:23 PM
Just some tasty information here... The General Motors' 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine can easily, safely and reliably produce 350 horsepower with a very wide power band. So let's not rule out:

#1. Even the ATS "four" can compete with the BMW 335i if GM wants it to (by using twin turbo).
#2. The twin turbo 3.0 liter V6 will easily produce well over 400 horsepower.

If the ATS-V turned out to be as light as Cadillac originally wanted it, I have little double doubt they'd be using the 3.0 TT V6. However, since it looks to be just about as heavy as a CTS-V, I HOPE they use an LSx V8...

JimmyH
07-20-11, 04:38 PM
Not that they will do it, but even at 4000 lbs, I could see a twin turbo, direct injected V6 working very well with an auto. Perhaps their rumored 8 speed. I just don't see it working with a manual trans. The powerband will be too narrow (despite your claim of a TT I4 with a "very wide power band"; I don't buy it) and require too much shifting. So if I were in charge, it would be TT V6 with an 8-speed auto, and LS3 (or whatever the gen V equivalent will be) with a 6 speed manual. That way, GM gets to offer the best of both worlds. (Again, I don't see them doing that though)

Lord Cadillac
07-20-11, 04:40 PM
It sounds like there are a lot of nice possibilities. Will they make production? Who knows.. But GM has the options... Which is nice to know.

JimmyH
07-20-11, 04:47 PM
I would still like to see an on-the-cheap rwd Chevy sport sedan. As much as I loved my CTSs, I want something basic, simple, and fast. With decent economy. I don't need nav, cooled leather seats, keyless ignition, or a quadrophonic blaupunkt. But I must be one of very few considering there isn't a basic sport sedan on the market.

Lord Cadillac
07-20-11, 05:16 PM
The Alpha Chevy might have been just that if the platform didn't need to be updated/weighed down to support a luxury car.

brothleutner
07-21-11, 12:25 AM
I would still like to see an on-the-cheap rwd Chevy sport sedan. As much as I loved my CTSs, I want something basic, simple, and fast. With decent economy. I don't need nav, cooled leather seats, keyless ignition, or a quadrophonic blaupunkt. But I must be one of very few considering there isn't a basic sport sedan on the market.

I think you want what I want.... Pontiac to never have gone out of buisiness. I wanted a G8 something bad, but did not want a car that may be hard to get parts for later.

JimmyH
07-21-11, 12:33 AM
G8 is still based on a full size car. So is my Camaro. I want something smaller and lighter. Kind of 3-series-ish, but without the stigma and price tag.
I guess the closest thing right now to what I want is the STi. But I don't want awd, and it's a little too small. I was excited about the Regal GS, and I was even willing to accept awd, but they killed it when they made it fwd only.
I was really hoping for an Alpha-based Chevy around $28k, 3400 lbs, 350 hp. Not in the cards I guess.

Lord Cadillac
07-21-11, 10:45 AM
I was really hoping for an Alpha-based Chevy around $28k, 3400 lbs, 350 hp. Not in the cards I guess.

3400 pounds is probably not in the cards...

JimmyH
07-21-11, 05:44 PM
Story of my life.

rand49er
08-21-11, 05:02 PM
Heard a rumor yesterday from a guy at the Woodward Dream Cruise (GM employee who says he works on the ATS program) that the current motor is a V8, but they may go to a TT V6 if it'll fit. He also said that the ATS-V is pushed back to 2016 MY.

I believe this guy, but this is snapshot in time of a very fluid process as it unfolds over several years, so take it for what it is.

JimmyH
08-21-11, 08:13 PM
If the ATS bows as a 2014, then 2016 for the V is probably about right. This is a VERY important car for Cadillac, so I can see them wanting to keep the spotlight on the mainstream ATS. Bringing out the V too soon would steal its thunder.

rand49er
08-21-11, 10:31 PM
I agree on the importance. The Ciel and Converj/ELR/whatever are probably planned to be out there post ATS, and ATS has to have market appeal and sell.

Wish I'd had the presence of mind to ask this guy a few more questions, like wheelbase, projected weight, and maybe a few other things.

Oh, btw, this "guy" is a fellow V owner and just doesn't post up here very often. I met him at last year's Dream Cruise, too.

JimmyH
08-21-11, 11:14 PM
projected weight; we are all dying to know that one