: failed the safety inspection with my new 73 fleetwood (bummer)

steck
04-26-11, 11:41 AM
when we change ownerships of vehicles we have to have a safety certificate at the Dept of Mot Veh's .

so up it goes to the local garage, and had some issues !!

need some advice guys !

1/ driver side power window, actually needed to work, for the safety. the only one not working , go figure. will a motor from one of the rears work ?

2/ lower ball joints, no big deal

3/ front tires (d*mnitt), inside worn. but puts me right in the whitewall issue and will have to buy 4

4/ parking brake...no biggie

oh well could be worse, so now it has no plates and needs repair before we cruise..

steck
04-26-11, 11:44 AM
actually thinking about some new aftermarket chrome wheels, so i might do that (tire/wheel package) instead of buying four new whitewalls....have to start a new thread on choosing new wheels ! :bonkers:

outsider
04-26-11, 11:44 AM
for the power window...on my 69 the drivers one wouldn't work but I held down the button and tapped the motor with a hammer and it started working. I plan to replace the motor but maybe you can try that in the mean time see if you can get some life out of it. hehe

csbuckn
04-26-11, 01:52 PM
You in the states? Could try craigs for tires.

steck
04-26-11, 03:44 PM
i'll likely get some after market wheels, but want to start a new thread on that topic !

search function aint that great on this site, but not complainin' !

johnny kannapo
04-26-11, 04:14 PM
Window motors can be swapped for any GM that era. You may need to use the original gear and bolt on the new motor to the existing gear/mount. I have done this on a old Buick.

intragration
04-27-11, 03:03 AM
I think you can get rebuilt motors too, E-bay or parts store...but it may not need the motor. On my '70 Calais, the switch was gunked up. I just moved it around for a while and it started working. What state is this?? Sounds a little oppressive... Illinois sucks in many ways, but they leave our old cars alone.

steck
04-27-11, 05:15 PM
What state is this?? Sounds a little oppressive... Illinois sucks in many ways, but they leave our old cars alone.

good ole Ontario Canada !!

yeah it is a little oppressive, but their way of thinking about the driver window operation is if you had to use hand signals to indicate turns...losers :)

CADforce69
04-29-11, 04:21 PM
Wow, it looks like Spain or any other european country. We have to pass Safety and emission inspection every year. I always have some issue about CO emission control but for a carbureted car, itīs easy to momentarily get a poor gas mix although the poor car does not feel very comfortable with that setting. Rear axle braking was another issue with my other classic car but I fixed it 2 years ago. Now Iīm fixing all possible trouble source in my caddy to pass inspection next december (a lot of points).

You can also get a "Historic vehicle" plate so you go through a mild inspection every 4 years but it costs about $ 1500 (once for all).

Do what youīve been adviced to get it work but remanufactured motors are not expensive. You can check also www.rockauto.com ... And post some pics of your caddy ;)

intragration
04-30-11, 05:00 AM
When I used to have to take the sniffer test and the car wouldn't pass otherwise, I always just ran it low on gas, added a few bottles of Heet, and then filled up with gas right afterwards. Something about the alcohol causes it to run lean, so fewer HCs. This worked on a '90 DeVille 4.5, I'm sure it would work on older motors. You'd want to take it real easy while running on the Heet blend.

CADforce69
04-30-11, 08:58 AM
Itīs interesting. This way you donīt have to torture your car with ultra-poor gas mixture.

intragration
04-30-11, 05:05 PM
Right, you lean it out without touching the carb adjustment. (in my case, it was FI, so there was no adjustment that I'm aware of, I may have taken out the air filter temporarily too) But again, you'd want to take it easy and keep it cool until you can refill. I REALLY ran it low, and put a whole bunch of Heet in, I may have even had a can of gas in the trunk, to add right after the test. It worked though. :)