: Steering wheel angle skewed - 2009 CTS-V

LSxPilot
04-25-11, 11:49 PM
When you sit in front of my CTS-V's steering wheel, the left side is 3/8" closer to me than the right! Something felt funny, so I measured from the center of the seat (Recaros FYI) to the left and right hand sides - is something wrong with my column angle? Is this just how it aligns?

I just noticed this when they did the rear suspension bolt recall and had to re-align and messed up the steering wheels "on center" location. I'm somewhat regretting getting it done...going Friday to fix the wheel angle, but I'm also wondering if something happened during alignment to skew the column, or maybe I just didn't notice!!? Can it be adjusted??

Has anyone measured/noticed something like this? Or do normal people not notice stuff like this....?

Thanks!

(note: I did rotate the wheel 180 degrees and the measurements are the same, no wobble)

baabootoo
04-26-11, 12:48 AM
How did you figure the wheel is crooked and not the seat again?

LSxPilot
04-26-11, 01:35 PM
I figured it was the wheel because I put a yardstick accross the wheel (horizontally) and it points to different points on each door - I didn't do the math and see if it accounted for the 3/8" though...will check.

I did also measure from the center of the seat - but I did not confirm that the center of the seat is perfectly in the center of the steering wheel....

They have a new V coupe at the dealership, so I may take a string and see if it's the same..it may be just how CTS's are...if only they had not messed up the on-center spot of the wheel during the alignment, I never would have noticed..

LSxPilot
05-13-11, 10:54 PM
FYI: Alignment was OK after the recall, but it did change the steering wheel angle (odd) - even tough the rear was just messed with. So they straightend out the wheel and all is OK. I also measured one in the showroom and it appears the left side of the wheel is a bit closer to the seat...at least on the 2 V's I have measured...

baabootoo
05-14-11, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm almost afraid to measure mine now.

LSxPilot
06-06-11, 11:40 PM
Advice, don't!

Trapspeed
06-07-11, 01:36 PM
Great. I'm having this work done Friday. I'm sure I'll obsess over it now. LOL

zirotti
06-07-11, 06:52 PM
Mine is off-center, laterally. Most obnoxious thing ever as the wheel is turned ever slightly to the left while going straight. 200 miles on the car.