: ? increased headroom in coupe with sunroof delete

Radguy
04-25-11, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know if there is an increase in headroom in the coupes without sunroof? If there is, anyone know how much of an increase?

My wife and I tried an '11 V Coupe with a sunroof today. We loved the car but headroom is a big problem for me. I'm 6 ft 1 in and the top of my head was in the sunroof cutout even with the Recaro seats in their lowest position.

If we were to get the car, it would be my wife's daily driver and track car. I'd like to be in the passenger's seat with her but there's no way I could fit in with a helmet. There is an '11 model with the Recaro's and the sunroof delete we can try but it's a 3 hr. drive each way. I'd like to know if it's worth trying or are we wasting our time?

I track my '07 Z06 but I'm sitting in a racing seat with a thinner seat pad and with 6-point harnesses which tend to compress you more in the seat. The Z has an extra inch of headroom compared to the V coupe when you look at the stock specs of each car.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

e6t
04-25-11, 08:03 PM
do your friends call you "Torso"? Haha... Seriously though, I have no issues in my sedan with sunroof. But for what its worth, I drove a coupe the other day, it didnt have a sunroof and it had ample headroom. I'm 6' and also put the seat all the way down...

neverl8
04-25-11, 08:11 PM
I don't know if this helps but my father in-law is 6'2" and has plenty of head room in my sedan with the sunroof delete and Recaros.

mother
04-25-11, 08:14 PM
Are you sure the seat wasn't in some strange position? I'm almost 6'3 and had no trouble in the front seats of a Coupe...

Can't say the same about the back seat of the Sedan though...

OldRoadDawg
04-25-11, 08:18 PM
To me it seemed like there was about another 1" with the headroom delete. I driven coupes with and without the sunroof with a helmet. With the sunroof it was downright painful trying to drive with my head tilted sideways. Without the roof, the helmet would just graze the headliner. Had the same problem in my V-1 and currently in my V-2 sdn with a sunroof and recaros. Tried tilting the seat back and extending the steering to the max, but it wasn't comfortable.

Should I move to a coupe someday, it will be 'sunroof delete'.

I'm 6-2 and long through the torso.

aj660
04-25-11, 09:56 PM
I'm confused, 6'1 is an average tall height and definitely not super tall. I have a hard time imagining that the engineers who made the coupe would design it for people under 6' tall.

Radguy
04-25-11, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think I was that anatomically abnormal (6' 1" with a 32" inseam).

When we test drove the car, I was first in the passenger's seat, then the driver's--same problem both times.

Made several attempts to get the seats as low as possible, but to get my head so it wasn't touching the headliner, I had to recline the seatback almost to 45 degrees.

From the feedback here, it looks like it'll be worthwhile to try the car with the sunroof delete. Hopefully next weekend.

newcadman
04-25-11, 10:59 PM
I can remember John Heinricy saying to me when I was about to test drive the V coupe at the Cadillac driving lab in Cali( Dec.3) to make sure I test drove a coupe WITHOUT the sunroof because he obviously recognized that a person who is 6'5" (like myself) needed all the headroom he could get.

e6t
04-25-11, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think I was that anatomically abnormal (6' 1" with a 32" inseam).

When we test drove the car, I was first in the passenger's seat, then the driver's--same problem both times.

Made several attempts to get the seats as low as possible, but to get my head so it wasn't touching the headliner, I had to recline the seatback almost to 45 degrees.

From the feedback here, it looks like it'll be worthwhile to try the car with the sunroof delete. Hopefully next weekend.

do you have really tall hair?

baabootoo
04-26-11, 12:52 AM
I'm only 5'11", and I have to lean it back a little with a helmet on. If I sit up straight, it hits, or I have to lean over into the sunroof cutout. This is with the seat bottomed out too. You DO lose room with a sunroof. I have seen this is many cars.

GM-4-LIFE
04-26-11, 11:33 AM
I am also 6'1" and I ordered my V Coupe WITHOUT the sunroof and I have plenty of headroom. You may have to search for one to test drive without the sunroof. I would HIGHLY recommend getting it without the sunroof.

thebigjimsho
04-26-11, 02:18 PM
In my sedan I can wear a helmet and I have a moonroof. But, in the back seat, I need to compress a little bit to fit and that's without a helmet. Then, I sat in a sedan without a moonroof and it was CAVERNOUS in the back seat. I never ride in my own car's back seat, so that's moot.

As to how that translates from sedan to coupe, I do not know...

garfin
04-26-11, 11:43 PM
I have a '10 sedan with the Ultraview. I'm 6'1", 36" sleeve and 33" inseam. I like my seating position to be up as high as possible - especially for the track.
That being said, I do have to compromise a bit on my seating position for the track when wearing a helmet. It's not that big of a deal though...

Basically, I lower the seat, but at the same time, move it a bit forward to compensate, and also bring the steering wheel closer to me. I also recline the backrest angle a bit more, but just a very small amount. Moving the seat forward is not an issue, since the bit of extra leverage on the clutch, as a result of being closer to the pedals, is a good thing for me when I'm on the track.

Position 1 on the seat memory is for street and position 2 is for the track wearing a helmet. Bottom line is that I'd like to be able to sit a bit higher, but it's just a matter of adapting to a slightly different seating position when I'm
wearing a helmet.

The good news is that outward visibility on this car is pretty good when you're on the track; certainly better than the 5th Gen Camaro with its very thick A pillar and in-your-face rearview mirror. Plus the V with the Ultraview also has a bit more headroom than a sunroof-equipped Camaro.

Best regards,

Elie

Radguy
04-27-11, 10:45 PM
I have a '10 sedan with the Ultraview. I'm 6'1", 36" sleeve and 33" inseam. I like my seating position to be up as high as possible - especially for the track.
That being said, I do have to compromise a bit on my seating position for the track when wearing a helmet. It's not that big of a deal though...

Basically, I lower the seat, but at the same time, move it a bit forward to compensate, and also bring the steering wheel closer to me. I also recline the backrest angle a bit more, but just a very small amount. Moving the seat forward is not an issue, since the bit of extra leverage on the clutch, as a result of being closer to the pedals, is a good thing for me when I'm on the track.

Position 1 on the seat memory is for street and position 2 is for the track wearing a helmet. Bottom line is that I'd like to be able to sit a bit higher, but it's just a matter of adapting to a slightly different seating position when I'm
wearing a helmet.

The good news is that outward visibility on this car is pretty good when you're on the track; certainly better than the 5th Gen Camaro with its very thick A pillar and in-your-face rearview mirror. Plus the V with the Ultraview also has a bit more headroom than a sunroof-equipped Camaro.

Best regards,

Elie

Elie, When you look at the specs of the cars, the sedan has 2 inches more headroom than the coupe. I have plenty of headroom in our CTS4 sedan, so I was really surprised with how little headroom there was in the CTS-V coupe. I think part of that may be the Recaro seats--perhaps you sit a little higher in these seats.

The dealer called yesterday. Allegedly, there was a pinched wire under the seats in the car not allowing them to go down to their lowest position (it seemed that the seats were somewhat limited in their movement). Tried it again today--sitting a little lower--my head brushes up against the headliner instead of being in the sunroof cutout. Better, but still not good enough. No way I could use a helmet as is.

I'll be travelling to the dealer in Toronto (3 hour drive each way) on Saturday to try a coupe with the Recaros and the sunroof delete. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Jonathan

garfin
04-27-11, 11:42 PM
Elie, When you look at the specs of the cars, the sedan has 2 inches more headroom than the coupe. I have plenty of headroom in our CTS4 sedan, so I was really surprised with how little headroom there was in the CTS-V coupe. I think part of that may be the Recaro seats--perhaps you sit a little higher in these seats.

The dealer called yesterday. Allegedly, there was a pinched wire under the seats in the car not allowing them to go down to their lowest position (it seemed that the seats were somewhat limited in their movement). Tried it again today--sitting a little lower--my head brushes up against the headliner instead of being in the sunroof cutout. Better, but still not good enough. No way I could use a helmet as is.

I'll be travelling to the dealer in Toronto (3 hour drive each way) on Saturday to try a coupe with the Recaros and the sunroof delete. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

JonathanInteresting observations - and I hope the coupe with no roof works for you. I've sat in a coupe and I know that for me, there's no way I could take it out on a track with a helmet - sunroof or not!

My helmet brushes up against the left side of the plastic edge on the sunroof cutout in the sedan (rather than the headliner), when the seat is in the position I like for the street. With the adjustments I mentioned, I'm OK in my sedan with the Ultraview if I'm wearing a helmet. The seat can go significantly lower than the position I usually drive in for the street.

So who has a coupe with no roof - Foss?

Best regards,

Elie

Radguy
04-28-11, 06:40 AM
City Chev-Cadillac off Don Valley Parkway.