: Outside door handle problems!!!!!!

Caddylover86
04-25-11, 01:38 PM
okay this morning i go out to my car and try and open the door, and to my suprise it doesnt open. neither the passenger nor the driver side! it was very foggy and moist outside and i dont know if that had anything to do with it. i pretty much had to jiggle the handle tab a couple of times to get the dang thing to open. they open from the inside just fine. i just never had both doors not open on a car before and its both doors that have the keyholes to unlock them!! so any suggestions on how to fix this without tearing the whole doors apart would be lovely! oh and this is on my 89 caddy with the thumb press tabs and handle.

sven914
04-25-11, 05:38 PM
Doors are a problem for these cars. Get a can of silicone spray lubricant and grease the inside of the door. To gain access, take the chrome trim out from around the inside handle and remove the rubber insulator. Get the can in behind the sound insulator and spray everything down; point the can to the back of the door to to get the locking mechanism.

I have a more permanent fix for when the problem becomes more persistent.

sven914
04-26-11, 01:08 AM
Last summer, I had bad problems with my passenger door. I was driving around with the door panel off and had to resort to not locking the doors in case I needed in or out of that side. I found the silicone spray wasn't helping anymore. When it first started, I was able to open the door from the inside, because there is more leverage on the internal components. The button on the outside would feel like it was going to fall through.

After playing with it and watching how the mechanism worked, I realized that the spring that returned the latch mechanism was getting weak. Once the mechanism was pressed down, it would get stuck in that position between locked and unlocked and there was no way of opening the door (it was trying to open the door while some one was pressing the unlock button).

To fix it, I installed another spring on the latch mechanism, to help pull the latch back up.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3489/10/33720004688_large.jpg

When you get into the door, you will be able to see these parts better and be able to see where the spring needs to go.

outsider
04-26-11, 02:14 PM
wonder if this would be the same problem I'm having with my rear driver's side door. sometimes I have to push unlock like 4 times before it'll actually unlock. only that one door, though.

Guess I'll look at that this summer. Thanks Sven!

sven914
04-26-11, 03:05 PM
The same latching mechanism is in all four doors. I would imagine they all experience the same problems.

Caddylover86
04-28-11, 06:01 PM
after getting the doors checked out, turns out that there is a guide that the thumb press slides on. yeah thats broke in both doors and its causing the thumb press to not go in straight, and all the way. and nobody locally carries new door handles, kinda dont want to go to the junkyard seeing how those might be in the same condition. does anyone know where i might find some. every website ive tried only carries the inside handles.