: LS1 Catera Oil Pan

BattleCAT
04-25-11, 11:48 AM
Hello all, I have started my LS1 Catera project and I know there are only 2 civilian models known to exist but does anyone have any idea what to use as an oil pan? I am thinking of using a GTO pan and rack and pinion but would like a little input before purchasing. Has anyone attempted this with a GTO pan or do I need to look elsewhere. I have a complete 98 Z28 MM6 car (wrecked) and a complete 98 Catera (locked up motor) and would like a little insight. I am pretty sure GTO parts were not available when the Catera V was built so that is probably a custom oil pan. Also if anyone has a pic of the bottom of that car it would really shed some light on what it takes to bolt one in properly. Thanks in advance.

elvin315
04-25-11, 03:13 PM
My suggestion is to search users: "Catera V, MyOpel, Warez", etc. Lots of info Re: V8 projects. The short version is that Opel had a factory V8 ready for production when the plug was pulled. They couldn't resolve a heating problem. Lingenfelter Inc. bought all the Catera V8 stock of parts intending to start production. The Catera V was the prototype. John Lingenfelter's death ended the project. His company sold the remaining V8 stock and they have none left. It's in the hands of several members here. These weren't kits so a lot of fabrication and scrounging is necessary. Given that these guys don't have pro-shops and have day jobs, these V8 Cats will be a long time coming.

elvin315
04-25-11, 03:25 PM
My suggestion is to search users: "Catera V, MyOpel, Warez, R-Caddy", etc. Lots of info Re: V8 projects. The short version is that Opel had a factory V8 ready for production when the plug was pulled. They couldn't resolve a heating problem. Lingenfelter Inc. bought all the Catera V8 stock of parts intending to start production. The Catera V was the prototype. John Lingenfelter's death ended the project. His company sold the remaining V8 stock and they have none left. It's in the hands of several members here. These weren't kits so a lot of fabrication and scrounging is necessary. Given that these guys don't have pro-shops and have day jobs, these V8 Cats will be a long time coming.

AFAIK the GTO oil pan won't fit in the Catera chassis. Could be wrong. That's why I say check those posts.

Good Luck.