: The Worst Cars/Trucks On The Road

hcvone
04-25-11, 10:40 AM
Not a CR fan, just posting the info :(

By all accounts, Detroit's Big Three automakers have begun producing better-made, longer lasting, more efficient vehicles. It's a distinct change from the 1990s and early 2000s, when they fell behind their European and Asian counterparts in each category.

"This change is not even a gradual thing," says Christine Overstreet, an automotive consultant and director of Heels and Wheels. "It's like they've said, 'OK, we really want to step it up, we really want to compete, we're ready.' After past years of being so bad, they've really stepped up their game."

MORE AT FORBES.COM
In Pictures: The Worst Cars On The Road

2011 Cadillac Escalade
"As our new vehicles come in, as we continue to launch vehicles, as we continue to do exceedingly better, I think the perception that we've noticed is already turning," Woychowski says. "I look forward to the next year or two when we continue this momentum to where it simply becomes a [good] reputation."

Woychowski expressed the same frustration with the ratings that Chrysler's Betts did. He noted a 45% reduction in GM-brand warranty repairs since 2007 and said cars like the Aveo won't be on lists like this much longer anyway.

"We get paid to get smarter every day," Woychowski says. "When we build that last Aveo, it will be the finest one we've ever made ... because the person who goes to buy this vehicle this afternoon, we want them to have the best vehicle we've ever produced."

The Worst Cars On The Road

Cadillac Escalade

Cadillac Escalade

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Worst Value
Consumer Reports Highest Costs of Ownership
Consumer Reports Worst Safety Performance

Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid

Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Worst Safety Performance
Consumer Reports Least Reliable

Dodge Nitro SLT

Dodge Nitro SLT

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Worst Cars
Consumer Reports Worst Fuel Economy

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Worst Cars

Mercedes-Benz S550

Mercedes-Benz S550

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Highest Costs of Ownership
Consumer Reports Worst Fuel Economy

The 10 Fastest Cars Under $30,000

10 Car Dealer Scams To Watch Out For

The Most Fuel Efficient Cars In Every Class

But with three exceptions--the Mercedes-Benz S550, Smart Fortwo and Nissan Titan--all of the cars on this year's list of the Worst Cars on the Road are (still) made by domestic companies. That includes the Dodge Dakota, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid and Chrysler Town & Country. The only American car company with zero vehicles on the list? Ford.

Behind the Numbers
To determine our list of the worst-made cars on the road, we started with the lowest-rated vehicles from six reliability and performance studies conducted this year by Consumer Reports.

Any car, truck or SUV named among the worst in at least two of those studies made the final cut to be on the "Worst" list.

We should note that the Mercedes S550 is the only vehicle that qualified for our list because of a high cost of ownership, low fuel efficiency and a low rating for overall value, not because of any problems with reliability, safety or performance, which affected every other vehicle in the top 10. Indeed, luxury vehicles like that sedan and the Cadillac Escalade are arguably at a disadvantage on lists like this--their luxurious interior upgrades, high-quality trim and powerful engines work against them.

"The worst value, the highest cost of ownership--you've got to remember there is a numerator and a denominator in these things," says Terry Woychowski, the vice president for quality and global launches for General Motors. "To use an analogy of a watch: If you looked at dollars to buy a watch vs. accuracy of time, you'd probably buy a Casio. [Compare that] to the price and value in a Rolex--you'd say, 'Well, shoot. It costs so much!' For vehicles like this, it's an uphill battle."

We should also note that nearly every car or truck made today is safer, more efficient and more reliable than anything on the road even as recently as 15 years ago. But that doesn't excuse just how often vehicles like the Jeep Liberty are panned for poor reliability or poor fuel economy--or both.

Jeep's Liberty and Wrangler earned spots on Consumer Reports' Least Reliable list for 2011. The Wrangler also received Consumer Reports' Worst Value and Worst Cars distinctions, the latter of which is based on more than 50 individual Consumer Reports tests and evaluations. The Wrangler also appeared on our Worst Cars list last year.

Doug Betts, Chrysler's senior vice president of quality, says the Consumer Reports tests don't reflect the latest, most up-to-date vehicles the company is currently manufacturing. The cars and trucks Chrysler has coming off the line now are far better than cars made even last year, he said in a statement about the reports.

"Customers will see 16 all-new or significantly updated vehicles at Ram, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat dealers this year," Betts said. "These vehicles represent a new level of interior refinement, world-class fit and finish and significantly enhanced driving dynamics."

Similarly, and despite significant improvements since hitting bottom in 2009, GM has some work to do before it can regain a good reputation fleet-wide. Four GM-made vehicles--the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, Chevrolet Colorado, and Chevrolet Aveo/Aveo5--are ranked as among the worst on the market today. All but the Tahoe Hybrid qualified for the Worst Cars list last year as well.

bstiffmanofsteel
04-25-11, 11:46 AM
I read that article last night and thought cost of ownership would be rather high, 12 miles per gallon... But all is good. Thanks for sharing Carl!

hcvone
04-25-11, 01:09 PM
I read that article last night and thought cost of ownership would be rather high, 12 miles per gallon... But all is good. Thanks for sharing Carl!

We know it, we keep buying, and why I don't like it there is nothing else for my needs that does the same thing as these trucks do for where I live and drive.

ELUSIVE
04-25-11, 05:27 PM
This in my opinion is why CR gets so much bad publicity...because they refuse to look at cars for what people need and buy them for.
Yes, the Escalade is big, costs a lot of money, and uses a lot of gas...but like hcvone states above for some people nothing else out there does what we need/want. For my with my ESV, there was nothing else on the market that would allow me to take 7 people in luxury to Costco for a large shopping outing. For me that makes it all worth it regardless of the cost.

CR is the same magazine the dinged a Porsche for having too much engine noise, too harsh of a ride, and not being able to store any cargo. You've got to be kidding me...isn't this exactly why people buy such a car?

Nixin
04-25-11, 05:42 PM
This article kind of reminds me of the Rumsfeld report on WMD in Iraq; propaganda and disinformation! Thank God some of us know the difference between TRUTH and REALITY!

Fast Eddie
04-25-11, 10:03 PM
I especially like the comments on safety. They love the Civic and the like for it's safety, but the Escalade is a death trap. Come on, Lets go head to head- the guys at CR in their Civic and me in my ESV, I promise to send flowers.

I also don't see the reliability comments, I have had virtually no trouble (2 service visits in 12 years) with my full size GM trucks.

For me like most others there is no competing vehicle to consider. If I can't get plywood in the back or carry 6 people and cargo while towing it is out of the question.

xxe92xx
04-25-11, 11:23 PM
CR.....:annoyed:

isnt CR for the "average" consumer? can the "average" consumer comfortably afford higher end products? so why do such comparisons? who is it helping?

what car has good value? a car is the worst investment you can make, there is no investment....saying the S550 and Escalade are the "worst" vehicles is hilarious, sounds like jealousy...its all about justifying the purpose of a luxury vehicle to this disgruntled writer who, in the article finds/uses cited information/reports to convince himself and the readers that there is absolutely no reason to buy a luxury vehicle...

all in all its pretty simple, F**K your broke ass and your honda/toyota value mentality....ill go with my 70,000 truck and burn 93 octane all day long, while sitting on my plush leather :)

Rusty058
04-25-11, 11:57 PM
TheS-550 & the Escalade are two of the worst vehicles on the road,LMAO!

2007caddy
04-26-11, 01:04 AM
A joke....I read alot of car magazines and I always wonder how can they evaluate a vehicle after driving it or week or less, I have owned my Escalade since 08 with limited issues....I rate reliability different than most.. 1. Does it start every morning " YES " ....2. Does it break down on the road " NO ".....Escalade owners are within a very small/niche group that can afford the cost to purchase and maintain, I have positive reviews about the Range Rovers but everyone I know that owned one complain about it's reliability and some of simply returned them back to dealer...The Escalade is the best truck/vehicle I have ever owned

bstiffmanofsteel
04-26-11, 03:30 AM
They also think Seiko is a better watch than Rolex... Obviously the are basing this solely on cost!

Big Windy Ext
04-26-11, 08:42 AM
I didn't buy an Escalade for basic transportation. I bought a 400+hp luxury truck that looks marvelous and can haul my toys and massive amounts of consumer goods.A Civic don’t cut it. How many come home on the hook. Sure I know how many kids my service writer has and their names because the chrome is coming off my door handles, but it still gets me there lol

TSS
04-26-11, 01:57 PM
After decades of subscribing to CR, I cancelled about 3 years ago. They had incorrect and dated info in their Annual Auto edition and the same mistakes and typos were there year after year. Basic stuff, like engine offerings for a particular model. Geez.....

hannity
04-26-11, 05:29 PM
TheS-550 & the Escalade is one of the worst vehicles on the road,LMAO!

I don't know about the S550 but I can say that the escalade is among one of the worst.

xxe92xx
04-26-11, 08:47 PM
i think the S550 is justly priced at 100,000 and it says you have a 2010 platinum, so is that sarcasm or are you not too happy with your truck?

Daniel10Slade
04-26-11, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I read it yesterday to! and I dont believe anything that CR says and, I was a subscriber before and immediately terminated my membership.

Not because I dont want to read/hear anything they say but i've got my brains in place.

matthones
04-27-11, 12:45 AM
Although my Lade is a pretty nice rig, when I had a flat tire I couldn't get the spare off due to the fail-safe mechanism, aka Secondary Latch System, wait for it, FAILED!!!! Who in the right mind designed this POS system is beyond me. I had to have it towed home, where I spent 3 hours in the rain dismantling the drop-down hoist and cable assembly. Once the tire change was complete I took my grinder and sheared off the secondary latch.

I have a '68 GMC, that not once in over 43 yrs has the spare tire fallen off.

Sorry for the rant but this brainiac design still irks me even 5 months later.

I wouldn't consider my Caddy the worst rig, but my '04 F-150 XLT has given me less problems.

2007caddy
04-27-11, 12:54 AM
If you're driving an Escalade you should have roadside assistance, either GM or other....I'm not an advocate of changing flats on highways etc due to safety reasons, IMO have it towed unless you're in the middle of nowhere ...I would like to see pics of your issue though to understand why it's was so difficult...could help us

Palomar
04-27-11, 02:11 AM
Every car and truck I've ever owned and enjoyed has been a CR "Worst Choice" vehicle. CR is for people who need to be told what is good for them. Everything they recommend has the common denominator of boring and sensible. I might check their opinion on, say, washing machines, but not on my daily ride.

I'm back BTW, after a couple years away. My Nav/Radio was stolen March 1. I have a check from the insurance company, but the dealer has no radios, and they don't know when one might arrive. It's tempting to consider a used unit from ebay for one-third of the price.

TSS
04-27-11, 11:09 AM
I used to really respect CR. Again, for me, how can I take their findings seriously when they cannot even get basic facts straight and miss errors and TYPOS year after year?

zam2000
04-27-11, 01:32 PM
Same here. Good to know that both my S and Escalade made the CR list. Both are awesome car, and I hardly have any problem with them. As for gas, not that I expected they would be mpg thifty when I bought them.

On the other hand, CR thinks Camry is a wonderful car. Even my lawn mower is a better ride than the Camry. So enough said

Every car and truck I've ever owned and enjoyed has been a CR "Worst Choice" vehicle. CR is for people who need to be told what is good for them. Everything they recommend has the common denominator of boring and sensible. I might check their opinion on, say, washing machines, but not on my daily ride.

I'm back BTW, after a couple years away. My Nav/Radio was stolen March 1. I have a check from the insurance company, but the dealer has no radios, and they don't know when one might arrive. It's tempting to consider a used unit from ebay for one-third of the price.

PfromD
04-27-11, 03:06 PM
I fell off the CR bandwagon this year. The CR nerds forgot to add columns in their spreadsheet for items like ability, driving enjoyment, pride, uniqueness and memories. It's those things that put a smile on my face every time I walk to, get in, turn on, sit at a light, push on the gas pedal and get out of our cars. It's what makes my day when as we pass by the small kids stop peddling and the tweens gawk. In the parking lot, the teenagers come up to compliment and the mature crowd gives us a comment, smile, thumbs up or challenge to a fun race. I drove a CR approved Honda Accord for many, many years. I do not recall many issues with it but likewise I do not recall much about it. Cars are expensive no matter what you drive, the difference is in what it provides. Yep, the faceless CR geeks gave my Honda a thumbs up and frown on our Cadillac Escalade Ext and Top Banana Daytona Dodge Charger. I never had a thumbs up from anyone else when I drove my Honda but the people I meet everyday give our cars a thumbs up, our sons give two enthusiastic thumbs up and most importantly, we give them a thumbs up. Because the bottom line is it is more than numbers, it is the total driving experience.

(I used Edmunds.com user comments to help me select the Esc Ext, on mark so far.)

hannity
04-27-11, 06:40 PM
I fell off the CR bandwagon this year. The CR nerds forgot to add columns in their spreadsheet for items like ability, driving enjoyment, pride, uniqueness and memories. It's those things that put a smile on my face every time I walk to, get in, turn on, sit at a light, push on the gas pedal and get out of our cars. It's what makes my day when as we pass by the small kids stop peddling and the tweens gawk. In the parking lot, the teenagers come up to compliment and the mature crowd gives us a comment, smile, thumbs up or challenge to a fun race. I drove a CR approved Honda Accord for many, many years. I do not recall many issues with it but likewise I do not recall much about it. Cars are expensive no matter what you drive, the difference is in what it provides. Yep, the faceless CR geeks gave my Honda a thumbs up and frown on our Cadillac Escalade Ext and Top Banana Daytona Dodge Charger. I never had a thumbs up from anyone else when I drove my Honda but the people I meet everyday give our cars a thumbs up, our sons give two enthusiastic thumbs up and most importantly, we give them a thumbs up. Because the bottom line is it is more than numbers, it is the total driving experience.

(I used Edmunds.com user comments to help me select the Esc Ext, on mark so far.)
I agree because usually CR and Edmunds always talk good about cars. When they say they are bad, then something must really be bad. However, I do love Edmunds.com they are honest and fair. I wish I would have known about it and about this forum before getting my truck, but I have to deal with not researching before buying. Anyway to see the true mark of a vehicle you have to go to forums or reviews of people who actually own one and are paying payments. That is how you can tell how reliable a vehicle is.

I don't think any car is perfect however I have put a Nissan through hell and it never broke down on me. I know gm loyalists are going to hate me but when I looked at the Lexus forums for the LX570. On the first 3 pages no one talked about problems all the threads I saw were about buying experience, where they take their trucks, and people just posting pics of them. I did see one thread where someone did complain that the truck is not perfect. They said that when they operate the touch screen it does squeak. I'm not being facetious or being an "A hole." What I am saying is that the best way to see how good a vehicle is, is to read the topics and posts of people who own them and drive them everyday. They will give honest non-biased feedback on a vehicle. I know topics change everyday, but just to show you what I was talking about, this is the forum I was referring to. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx570-203/

48Dodge
04-27-11, 07:04 PM
All I know is MY touchscreen doesn't squeak when I operate it.

matthones
04-27-11, 08:08 PM
If you're driving an Escalade you should have roadside assistance, either GM or other....I'm not an advocate of changing flats on highways etc due to safety reasons, IMO have it towed unless you're in the middle of nowhere ...I would like to see pics of your issue though to understand why it's was so difficult...could help us

My wife was driving and we have AAA. The AAA guy gave up pretty quick. When I get some time I'll lower the spare and take pics of where I ground off the "safety" hook.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-29-11, 12:54 PM
matthones, do you have an owners manual for you vehicle? The entire spare tire release procedure and spare storing procedure is outlined between pages 474 and 491. The Secondary latch system is outlined between pages 484 and 487 as well. I'm sorry to hear you had so many issues with the system to require the vehicle to be towed. You won't have to worry about that system any more. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy the vehicle from here on out.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

PfromD
04-29-11, 04:47 PM
Agreed and maybe you got the one made Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend. :cheers: As a long time Honda, Acura and Toyota owner, I gave a lot of consideration to the Lexus before I bought the Cadillac Ext. Looked at some domestic trucks too. Here was put the Ext way in front for me:

The Ext, as did the Avalanche, got 90%+ approval from Edmunds owners
This pickup truck offers a ton of capability
The backseat is unmatched among most trucks and many SUVs.
Up to a near 8' bed, a luxurious full size backseat and only 19'. Wow...
The Cadillac consistently has features that are 2+ years ahead of everyone else.
In the luxury offerings, Cadillac has one of the highest towing available.
Unique elegance and performance styling. The parking garage where I work is almost all executive class cars. My truck is in a complete class of it's own. Towers over the others with a powerful stance and elegant looks to match.
I can haul a boat, spray it off and have it valet in the front row.
I can open up all the windows and drive it like it a convertible.
It is an exclusive, easily identifiable truck. Kids to bubbas have trucks. Soccer moms everywhere drive the Acura, Toyota and Lexus SUVs. Few have an Ext.
Our boys will wash and detail the stew out of it and never mind if we are the pick up/drop off with their friends or date.
I get comments everywhere I go.
I love driving it, going places, getting things done in it.

I am willing to tinker a little bit more for everything it provides. If the above doesn't matter much, then vehicles may be more of an appliance than an experience. Appliances you just want to work and I think that is how CR views cars because there is very little merit assigned to anything listed above.

All this said, hopefully I did not just jinx my truck.... :bang2:

matthones
04-29-11, 10:31 PM
matthones, do you have an owners manual for you vehicle? The entire spare tire release procedure and spare storing procedure is outlined between pages 474 and 491. The Secondary latch system is outlined between pages 484 and 487 as well. I'm sorry to hear you had so many issues with the system to require the vehicle to be towed. You won't have to worry about that system any more. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy the vehicle from here on out.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Jeff,

Yes I do have the manual, but to no avail the procedure didn't work, not any of the roughly 25 variations I tried with different jacks. What I ended up doing was lowering the tire until the secondary latch caught, then pried out the plastic covering that keeps the debris out, then jimmied a long screwdriver under the latch until i could get it to release. All this with the tire in the way. Needless to say I did "fix" it for good, lol.

Matt

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-04-11, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the system. Once again hopefully you will be able to enjoy the vehicle for the rest of your ownership experience. If you encounter any other issues feel free to contact me.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

hcvone
05-04-11, 01:12 PM
Jeff,

Yes I do have the manual, but to no avail the procedure didn't work, not any of the roughly 25 variations I tried with different jacks. What I ended up doing was lowering the tire until the secondary latch caught, then pried out the plastic covering that keeps the debris out, then jimmied a long screwdriver under the latch until i could get it to release. All this with the tire in the way. Needless to say I did "fix" it for good, lol.

Matt

You are not alone, we hear this from owners at the shop all the time, it works fine when new, but get dirt and debris in there over time and it's a real problem

MrHolland
05-06-11, 07:59 PM
I participated in a Consumer Reports review for my Escalade. I "hooked up" Cadillac properly......