: Detailed info on ported snout

musclesbmf
04-24-11, 10:16 PM
My apologies if I broke any forum rules earlier (I was "slightly" upset with my situation).
Now on to business...
I shot a video of the issue I'm having and was hoping individuals with experience with our blowers/snouts could chime in and let me know what they think. The snout came installed on the blower and I removed it to isolate the problem.
I will let the video do the talking.

Thanks guys,
Mark

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/mrooster725/CTS-V%20murdered/th_VID00001-20110424-2044.jpg (http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/mrooster725/CTS-V%20murdered/?action=view&current=VID00001-20110424-2044.mp4)

e6t
04-24-11, 10:50 PM
I assume the answer is yes, but did it spin when you received it?

i should say excuse my ignorance, because i dont even know if it should spin or if that is something one would check!

cbloveday
04-24-11, 11:00 PM
I was wondering the same. I hope it is an easy fix and your back up and running soon.

musclesbmf
04-24-11, 11:21 PM
Yes, it spun when I received it and it was installed on the blower base when I received it. The car even ran for about 10 minutes until it seized up.

Mark

CTSV4now
04-24-11, 11:22 PM
I just checked my uninstalled W4M ported snout with the 2.55 pressed on and it does spin freely . I'd be interested to know if yours spins freely after pulling off the pulley.

e6t
04-24-11, 11:47 PM
from looking at an exploded image of the engine, it doesnt look like there is a lot that goes on with the shaft from the isolator to the pulley. could the pulley be pressed on too tightly?

MReiland
04-25-11, 09:01 AM
My guess is that if it spun freely when you received it, mybe it was on too tight somehow, possibly putting thrust pressure on the bearing? and that it built up enough heat to seize one of the bearings. I agree that there isn't much going on in that area from the pictures I looked at, a pulley back to the isolater. Someone should be able to rebuild it with new bearings I would think instead of getting a full new snout?

wait4me
04-25-11, 09:21 AM
Holy shit! I tested the blower assembly on a car on the dyno before shipping it over to you just to make sure it was all good.. That snout assembly is brand new.... I have never seen a bearing assembly freeze up like that on one???? It spun nice and smooth before and after the pully was put on. You had said the box padding stuff was pretty beat up, Did they maybe drop the box?? Is there any flat spots on the pulley edge anywhere from maybe a hit? Send it back over and ill send you out a replacement blower snout. Ill order a new blower today and will have a snout in a few days for you.

MReiland
04-25-11, 09:37 AM
Thanks Jesse for chiming in with all of your info and supporting the community, I don't even have a V but I appreciate the info you post and I like how you make an effort to stand behind your products and services.

musclesbmf
04-25-11, 11:53 AM
Yes sir.. I spoke with Jesse on the phone this morning. Nothing but absolute stand up service from him. That is why I continue to order from him and appreciate all the innovations and information he shares with us.
There are no flat spots that I can see on the pulley, and yes, when I opened the box from UPS, the stirofoam (sp?) packing was beat to hell and back.
The interim solution will be for me to put my stock snout on the ported lower and I will ship back my stock lower blower assembly and "messed" up snout. Jesse, as stated above, is ordering new pieces and will port the snout and install a 2.55 and send it out as soon as completed. Then I will ship him my stock snout and I will finally get my core charge back (LOL) and we will all be square.

Thanks again Jesse for being there for our community in a huge way. First rate if you ask me.

Mark

e6t
04-25-11, 12:06 PM
thats great. i hope it runs like a scalded dog when finished!

but id love to know what went wrong...

n0s4atu
04-25-11, 12:31 PM
Holy shit! I tested the blower assembly on a car on the dyno before shipping it over to you just to make sure it was all good.. That snout assembly is brand new.... I have never seen a bearing assembly freeze up like that on one???? It spun nice and smooth before and after the pully was put on. You had said the box padding stuff was pretty beat up, Did they maybe drop the box?? Is there any flat spots on the pulley edge anywhere from maybe a hit? Send it back over and ill send you out a replacement blower snout. Ill order a new blower today and will have a snout in a few days for you.

This type of response is exactly why I didn't think the first thread was inappropriate. I've read countless threads about how great the W4M products are and how Jesse is a stand up guy and that's encouraging to read, but seeing how well he takes care of a customer when everything isn't sunshine and roses is (to me) what really inspires confidence in a vendor. Bravo.

Can't wait to see the end result when everything is put back together, tuned, etc.

CTSV4now
04-25-11, 12:48 PM
Just for clarification, no added lube is needed for the snout shaft/bearings? These are supposed to be good to go out of the box?

Razorecko
04-25-11, 12:52 PM
Jesse might be able to verify this or not but it seems from what i've been hearing on the forums and seen at his shop ( oem heads ) that the quality control has gone down considerably since the first year '09's hit the market.

musclesbmf
04-25-11, 01:27 PM
Just for clarification, no added lube is needed for the snout shaft/bearings? These are supposed to be good to go out of the box?

Nothing to lube up there. everything is sealed (i.e. bearings).

On a side note, When I spoke to Jesse this morning, he was not upset about any of my posts in the least. I've spoken to him on several occasions and can tell he is an easy going guy that loves these cars. I always have been, and will continue to be his customer.

thanks,
Mark

cbloveday
04-25-11, 01:54 PM
When Jess is on, he's on! Then there is THE OTHER GUYS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uETsBvisKAA&feature=related