: STS or CTS

kavadarci
04-24-11, 10:21 AM
Hi guys,

I have a problem (sort of).
I always liked the STS and my eye is on a 2008+ STS V8 AWD with navigation package.
At the same time I also like the 2008+ CTS with navigation package.

What do you think is a better car, 2008 sts or cts and why would "you" go with one or another.
I really need your opinion here as I'm little unsure.
Thanks a million.

jordan00escalade
04-24-11, 10:22 AM
To V or not to V is the question..

If it's not a CTS-V then I'd have to take the STS.

chazglenn3
04-24-11, 11:47 AM
While I do like the new CTS, I find the car to be too small and I must have a V8...it's a sickness :) So, given my illness I have to agree with the above statement...CTS-V or a N* STS.

malatu
04-24-11, 06:40 PM
While I do like the new CTS, I find the car to be too small and I must have a V8...it's a sickness :) So, given my illness I have to agree with the above statement...CTS-V or a N* STS.

..... can't believe you have to ask. STS No contest! But really, who cares what we think ... get what you like! :thumbsup:

mbnv992
04-24-11, 06:49 PM
Well, this IS the STS forum, if you were to ask this in the CTS forum, everyone would probably say get the CTS. Here, everyone will say get the STS. Point is, get what YOU like the most !!

Me, I test drove the 2008 CTS when it first came out in 2008. Hated it. The controls were much too small / awkward to use, and the interior space was also very cramped as well. The CTS was NOT a car I wanted to take long vacation drives with.
So, that landed me in the STS. LOVED the looks, and, to me the STS is basically an upscale / refined, larger version of the CTS.
So, in answer to your question from someone who test drove both cars in the beginning, get the STS !

EChas3
04-24-11, 10:21 PM
Well, this IS the STS forum, if you were to ask this in the CTS forum, everyone would probably say get the CTS. Here, everyone will say get the STS. Point is, get what YOU like the most !!

To me the biggest factor is the feel. I like a solid, almost heavy feel. The AWD STS with MRC & ZF STEERING GEAR suits me perfectly. It's bigger and a better deal (to me). The CTS I drove had a light feel and the Nav seemed gimmicky.

Opinions vary. I don't mean to offend those that may feel differently than I.

I didn't even consider a 'V'. That could change!

jran0823
04-25-11, 10:05 PM

Me, I test drove the 2008 CTS when it first came out in 2008. Hated it. The controls were much too small / awkward to use, and the interior space was also very cramped as well. The CTS was NOT a car I wanted to take long vacation drives with.
So, that landed me in the STS. LOVED the looks, and, to me the STS is basically an upscale / refined, larger version of the CTS.
So, in answer to your question from someone who test drove both cars in the beginning, get the STS !

hey im from cts forum...have a 03 cts but use my mothers 08 sts4 love it but wouldn't touch northstar...head gasket ever goes bend over for a new motor, love my cts but like the room of a sts, plus the ride of my cts is all out sports car(mine is a luxury sport) just sold my my mustang and if i closed my eyes id swear i was riding in it again, with the exception of seats being sooo damn comfy in my cts, but'd id probally lean towards a non-northstar sts

malatu
04-25-11, 10:29 PM
hey im from cts forum...have a 03 cts but use my mothers 08 sts4 love it but wouldn't touch northstar...head gasket ever goes bend over for a new motor, love my cts but like the room of a sts, plus the ride of my cts is all out sports car(mine is a luxury sport) just sold my my mustang and if i closed my eyes id swear i was riding in it again, with the exception of seats being sooo damn comfy in my cts, but'd id probally lean towards a non-northstar sts

If the head gasket ever goes? ..............That is very old news that's only relevant to pre- 2003 and prior northstars. Might even be 2002 and prior. Other more knowledgeable folks here will know for sure.

chazglenn3
04-25-11, 11:36 PM
Actually I think it was fixed by the 2000 model year engine revisions.

Greg00coupe
04-26-11, 06:56 PM
Drive them both over a number of different road surfaces. When I did that the STS came out on top. To sweeten the deal I would think your dollar would go further with an STS. That's good if you'll hold the car a while. If you are going to trade the CTS will hold its value better. So it comes down to ride and money based on your personal circumstances........... to me.

EChas3
04-26-11, 08:30 PM

Actually, the 3.6 V6 may be more prone to major damage than the 2005 & up 4.6 V8. The forums have more than a few reports of sudden increases in oil use, timing chain and cam issues. No offense intended but I much prefer my Northstar.

torogt
04-27-11, 08:11 AM
I love my STS AWD N* I did test drive a 08 CTS4 but I like the STS much better, don't really understand why the CTS sales better or has a better resale value. the 08+ 3.6di engine runs better than 05-07 3.6 but in my own opinion it still doesn't compare to the N*

dkozloski
04-27-11, 11:23 AM
I've owned them both and the CTS is much too small inside. It's a 2+2; 2 people you like in the front and 2 you don't like in the back.

malatu
04-27-11, 01:05 PM
I've owned them both and the CTS is much too small inside. It's a 2+2; 2 people you like in the front and 2 you don't like in the back.

I think I'd own an Accord before a CTS.

rhk
04-28-11, 10:39 AM
2008+ CTS seats are brutally hard, narrow, and shorte seat bottom, but they look fantastic from the OUTSIDE.

kavadarci
04-28-11, 02:46 PM
Thank you for all your input.
I really appreciate the information provided.

I have my heart set on STS, I think it is way better value of a car comparing to the CTS. I will drive both to confirm. coming from a chrysler 300, size is an important factor and that is where the cts fails, just too small inside as many of you said.

Do you have any information to share as what problem areas to look for when I look at a 2008 STS? Every car has its own little things and I'm sure the STS has some kinks or problem areas.

Thank you again.

malatu
04-28-11, 04:03 PM
Thank you for all your input.
I really appreciate the information provided.

I have my heart set on STS, I think it is way better value of a car comparing to the CTS. I will drive both to confirm. coming from a chrysler 300, size is an important factor and that is where the cts fails, just too small inside as many of you said.

Do you have any information to share as what problem areas to look for when I look at a 2008 STS? Every car has its own little things and I'm sure the STS has some kinks or problem areas.

Thank you again.

You can drive yourself nuts worrying about problems that might exist. For a piece of mind, get one that's certified and... "and all will be well" ..... sorta..... Also, run the vin # to see its history of repairs.

rnkath08
04-28-11, 04:29 PM
said it before, say it again CTS= car too small....not that it isn't nice, but you can't get a bag of hockey gear in the trunk, can't get a field hockey goalie bag in the trunk....I still love my 06 STS N* v8, just took it to and from SC...extremely comfy, people could ride in the back and it's like a great leather couch that goes 100mph....just hit 32k miles, so I can't say much about longer term driving, but I don't regret it for a minute and have no desire to trade it in for anything
but like everyone said drive them both, try to put golf clubs in back (if you golf) and figure out what works best for your life...
good luck!

John Wicz
04-28-11, 05:55 PM
2008+ CTS seats are brutally hard, narrow, and shorte seat bottom, but they look fantastic from the OUTSIDE.

I would say that the STS is no better, IMO.

EChas3
04-28-11, 09:38 PM

The 'stickys' at the top of the thread list are a great resource.

IMHO, the biggest problem with the STS is making sure you get the one you want: color, trim level, options, warranty, etc. It may be possible to upgrade but unless you like a pain in the neck (only lower) decide what you really want BEFORE you buy. Then start shopping.

bbjorklund99
04-29-11, 10:21 AM
I lot of people have given good advice. My feeling is that you just don't know what kind of problems you are going to have until they happen. I bought a 2000 GMC Yukon XL which according to the reports had all kinds of mechanical problems. This vehicle was the best vehicle I ever owned. My theory is to buy a vehicle that has been well cared for and hope for the best. Many of the problems that are reported on a site like this may never even happen to your vehicle. As many on the board have said... if you are worried about the vehicle buy the extended warranty for piece of mind. Otherwise put money aside to do the repairs when they occur. Some prefer to pay ahead where others choose to pay as they go. It is your choice on what works best for you.

Good Luck with your search.

Brad

Ilovecaddys
04-29-11, 11:14 AM
STS hands down!

bbjorklund99
04-29-11, 11:27 AM
My wife loves the looks of the 2008 and newer CTS and thought that is what we should have purchased. I on the other hand love the looks of the 05, 06, and 07 STS's and so I purchased the 06 that I was able to deal on. The big one for me was the interior. You need to pick what works for you because in the end you are the one that will be driving the car. For me it basically comes down to size. I didn't want the DTS because it felt too big and the CTS too small. Personal preference pick what works for you.

Brad