: With the price of gas going up, do you still joy-ride?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-24-11, 10:49 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day. Now that the price of gas is around $4.00 per gallon for 87 octane, how many of us still go out for a nice scenic drive every once in a while?

I've cut down on "cruising" a lot recently. Not just because the price of gas is high, but with working 65 hours a week I don't have a lot of free time anymore like I used to, and I live right in the heart of the east side of St. Paul, and there really aren't any scenic, open areas right around me to cruise around, and all the speed limits are much lower, roads aren't in good condition and it seems as though there are stoplights every few blocks or so.

Aside from that, if I lived in a more scenic, open area that was more fun to cruise, I still find pleasure in going for a nice cruise on a nice day. I won't do it as much I did when gas was $2.50 a gallon, but it's still cheaper to go for a nice hour long cruise than it is to go see a movie or go out to dinner.

How about you?

drewsdeville
04-24-11, 10:59 AM
If I want to go for a scenic cruise, I use my bicycle. Always have, even when gasoline was cheap. Lots more to see on a bicycle when you can take the time to see everything and stray from the roads.

Otherwise, going out to eat is my vice. I LOVE to go out to dinner and, even if more expensive, would much rather sit down to a meal than drive.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-24-11, 11:12 AM
In the summer of 2001, when I was 14, I used to bike about 4-5 miles daily. I'd go for the same circular route at about 10 AM every day, and at about 7-8 PM that night, every day, all summer long. It was then that I downloaded (illegally) the entire Led Zeppelin discography and would listen to nothing but Zeppelin on my bike rides. From then on out though, I preferred driving. Nothing like downshifting and hitting the meaty part of the torque curve with all four windows down and "Born to Run" blaring out the windows on a nice summer night.

jordan00escalade
04-24-11, 11:19 AM
Easiest budget to decrease with these gas prices is the gas bill. I drive the Escalade as little as possible. It's easy to run through $600-800 a month in gas, fill your vehicle up at the beginning of each week and see how long it takes you to hit a quarter tank. If you start saving gas receipts it might surprise you at the end of the month. So, yea I don't drive as much as I use to. A lot of the people I use to work with had started using public transportation and some were commuting together. Over the last few years, the gas prices have probably made "gas" the #1 way to decrease your monthly budget (If you drive a V8 and live in the bay area), atleast from where I'm sitting. Interesting topic, I could see some useful information coming out of this before it's all said and done.

hueterm
04-24-11, 12:09 PM
I rarely, if ever, just "take a drive". My local miles are pretty insignificant -- it's the road trips that get me. The cost of gas, however, hasn't yet been the reason for canceling a trip. Tired, busy, don't want to go, bad weather are much more prevalent reasons.

jordan00escalade
04-24-11, 12:14 PM
Has anyone ever used that wind thing (kind of like a fan I guess) that goes right behind your intake box? Use to come on late night as a paid advertisement, talking about how it would increase your MPG.. I'm just curious.

ryannel2003
04-24-11, 01:38 PM
Lately I haven't been driving as much, though when I got the STS back the other day I did drive 50-60 miles around just enjoying the drive. I agree with Drew though... I'd rather go sit down at a nice restaurant than go driving. Eating out is one of my favorite things to do.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-24-11, 02:32 PM
Has anyone ever used that wind thing (kind of like a fan I guess) that goes right behind your intake box? Use to come on late night as a paid advertisement, talking about how it would increase your MPG.. I'm just curious.

I know what you're talking about but I can't remember the name, anyways those never worked. Disproven time & time again.

I like eating out too, but I also like not getting fat. I can't have a good meal at a nice restaurant too often without worrying about packing on the pounds. Like I've said in a different thread last week, I've started to gain some weight since I moved out last fall and would like to curb that before it gets out of hand. I'll still go out and get a nice meal with friends once a weekend or so, but not the 3-4 times a week like I was doing.

drewsdeville
04-24-11, 02:34 PM
Has anyone ever used that wind thing (kind of like a fan I guess) that goes right behind your intake box?

http://tribwekchron.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tornado.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-24-11, 02:37 PM
http://ca.pbsstatic.com/l/80/1880/9781879371880.jpg

The cover of that book used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. I read that book when I was a teenager and really loved it.

Rolex
04-24-11, 02:43 PM
I haven't really joy ridden much after HS. Occasionally we will take a leisurely drive out to the lake, but I don't see the point in cruising much. I pretty much drive to work, my kid's school, the gym, and my farm.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-24-11, 03:28 PM
I take the interstate to work amd back. Its the fastest way. Theres an old "US highway" that runs pretty parallel to the interstate, but also goes into towns along the way. Ive started taking this way when im not in a major hurry because its more calming.
On the interstate im always stressed by that ******* who wont dim his highbeams behind me or the idiot in the honda who thinks this is formula one racing.

Oddly, ive found that my mpg increases when I take the scenic route and its only a 5 minute difference at most. The reason I think is that its still a highway so the posted speed limit is similar and since there are alot less cars I only have to slow down or speed up when I pass through the small towns.

orconn
04-24-11, 04:13 PM
Since I no longer have to drive for work and can pick the times and places when I want to drive. Fortunately I only live five minutes from the beautiful Central Virginia horse country, so both Autumn and Spring make for enjoyable drives through the countryside. Since my Seville is really just a backup car to my wife's daily driven Seville, I make a point of taking my car out for "exercise" once a week ..... a five mile run on the twisties to a six lane divided highway for a 5 mile run each way and the back home for a 20 mile total weekly jaunt to keep every thing working and oiled. When I feel like it I take a much further run like over to Yorktown for lunch or Charlottesville. As little as we drive for necessities, almost everything is within a mile or two from the house, we have plenty of gas left over for leisure drives when the spirit moves!

That being said, i fully sympathize with those that must commute long distances on a slim budget. Not only are gas prices driving up food and other necessities, but they have also driven up the cost of working. I don't see gas prices moderating soon, due to the developments in the Middle East and increasing demand around the world, so I ques the life styles of many Americans are in for significant changes.

SDCaddyLacky
04-24-11, 06:06 PM
I haven't really cruised in a long long time. I used to take trips to Downtown San Diego. I would hit up one of the main arteries that takes you directly down there in one of my old Cadillacs. Since I don't own the 68 Coupe Deville anymore, the days of cruising long distances are over.

5-6 years ago when gas was around $2.00 a gallon in CA, I was able to afford the gas for 472 beast, food prices, and other commodities were much cheaper too, cost of living was less, never really affordable, but doable without the issues of being broke all the time.

I can't do the same things I did back then especially with gas prices way above $4.00 a gallon here, not to mention everything else going up dramatically. Whats crap is everyone knows that's there's price gouging, yet the government hasn't done anything about it. And it's not right when you pull up to certain gas stations and see say $4.10 a gallon, so your like well I'm going there instead of Chevron being $4.30 a gallon. The problem is, that's cash price. Some stations will post the cash price, and not both. So if you pay with a credit or debit card, like most people do, then that's not the lower price you thought you were going to get.

This is wrong and deceiving. It's mainly independents that do this, but I have seen 76 stations do this as well.

Anytime I need to go somewhere, be it to work, or to the store, it's always enjoyable and sorta of like my own mini cruising Sunday.

My 61 Continental on the other hand I only drive very short distances, like a few miles, nothing too far, just enough to get all the fluids warmed up and the engine to work out a lil.

thebigjimsho
04-24-11, 08:07 PM
I drive for work. I drive for pleasure. I take joyrides all the time. I'll be taking 3-4 days to go down the Blue Ridge Parkway and see the race at Darlington. My Town Cars get 65-70k miles per year for work and my V gets about 20k a year in mostly recreational driving...

Koooop
04-24-11, 10:56 PM
I have a Corvette, therefore I joyride.

Come to think of it, I have a CTS-V so every ride is a joyride.

gdwriter
04-25-11, 01:10 AM
I usually have somewhere to go when I take a drive, but there are fortunately some great back roads near me that can make it more entertaining. I'm making the drive to Portland much more frequently now to see my girlfriend, and that's kind of on automatic pilot except for the roller coaster road I take between Salem and Independence.

Destroyer
04-25-11, 01:44 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day. Now that the price of gas is around $4.00 per gallon for 87 octane, how many of us still go out for a nice scenic drive every once in a while?

I've cut down on "cruising" a lot recently. Not just because the price of gas is high, but with working 65 hours a week I don't have a lot of free time anymore like I used to, and I live right in the heart of the east side of St. Paul, and there really aren't any scenic, open areas right around me to cruise around, and all the speed limits are much lower, roads aren't in good condition and it seems as though there are stoplights every few blocks or so.

Aside from that, if I lived in a more scenic, open area that was more fun to cruise, I still find pleasure in going for a nice cruise on a nice day. I won't do it as much I did when gas was $2.50 a gallon, but it's still cheaper to go for a nice hour long cruise than it is to go see a movie or go out to dinner.

How about you?
I regularly take my 67 Cutlass vert out to the beach. I could care less if gas goes to $10+ per gallon. I like what I like and I can afford it. Taking my old Olds out is a stress reliever for me and there is no price tag on that. :yup:

77CDV
04-25-11, 03:06 AM
^potd.

maeng9981
04-25-11, 03:13 AM
Always start the trip with "gas-saving driving style" in mind, but in the middle of the road I often end up meeting a Civic kids or something that just makes me mad; but I still get 19mpg avg 60% city 40% highway so I am satisfied.

Jesda
04-25-11, 05:30 AM
I dont regularly commute, so 90% of my driving is for leisure travel and local cruising. I drive about 20,000 miles a year.

I enjoy cycling too, but its never in place of driving. That's a completely different kind of pleasure.

gary88
04-25-11, 12:32 PM
I take public transportation and walk during the week and just drive like I normally would on the weekend.

Submariner409
04-25-11, 12:59 PM
Essentially no public transportation in our semi-rural to rural area. There IS a "County Ride", but the closest stop is one mile from here, so it's sort of hard to lug the groceries home, ice cream dripping, in the warm months.

"Joy ride" ??? Nope..........but we still will drive a decent distance to either visit friends and relatives or to hit one of our favorite restaurants. Otherwise, we climb in the truck and do a joint "round robin" to pick up everything from bourbon to bread to batteries.

gdwriter
04-25-11, 01:29 PM
I regularly take my 67 Cutlass vert out to the beach. I could care less if gas goes to $10+ per gallon. I like what I like and I can afford it. Taking my old Olds out is a stress reliever for me and there is no price tag on that. :yup:$10 a gallon would mean I couldn't afford to drive Betty as much as I'd like (she got ~16 MPG on the highway driving to Seattle last month with the THM700R4, so that's a decent improvement over the Powerglide), but I agree that driving a car you love puts a smile on my face that you can't put a price tag on.

Koooop
04-25-11, 06:37 PM
The Saturday Joyride went bad...

Knock, knock, knock went my top end...

Just an excuse to do some more mods, more HP = less MPG. I'M ON IT!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-25-11, 07:17 PM
I took a real nice drive up highway 95 yesterday, which runs along the western side of the Mississippi river just north of Stillwater MN. High speed, low traffic, lots of turns and scenery...very nice.

GizmoQ
04-25-11, 10:08 PM
Yes I would drive for the sheer enjoyment of it, BUT this year I have so many road trips planned. As soon as I return from one, I'm prepping for another. This is going to be a great year! Should do appx 40,000 miles between the two Caddies. Gas prices are a concern, but I'm not gonna let it stop me from traveling, just cut back in other areas.

Aron9000
04-26-11, 03:25 AM
I still go out for the occasional joy ride, but most of my trips are "gotta get something on the other side of town". Although I can buy the same thing closer to the house, there are a few stores that I just love driving to. Even if I only save $3 on a bottle of Jack Daniels and spend $3 extra on gas getting there, it was worth the scenic ride.

96Fleetwood
04-26-11, 05:09 AM
After this long and cold winter.... I scan the weather channel to plan joy rides in the Trans Am with the top down. What a stress reliever!

thebigjimsho
04-26-11, 01:01 PM
I need a convertible, even if just a cheapie...

OffThaHorseCEO
04-26-11, 06:45 PM
ALLANTE!
or
MIATA!
or hell even
80's MERCEDES SL!

word on the streets is the prices are done going up.

jordan00escalade
04-26-11, 08:09 PM
Prices just jumped up to 4.31 a gallon.. $90.00 fill up yesterday (bay area, Ca.)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-26-11, 09:30 PM

Old Camaro/Trans Am or Mustang... or heck even an old C4 Vette..

thebigjimsho
04-26-11, 09:52 PM
I actually have a soft spot for a 90s Cutlass vert...

Jesda
04-26-11, 09:56 PM
Me too. Cutsup Convertible was unusually nice.

GizmoQ
04-26-11, 10:51 PM

Even my beater is a vert.

hehehehehe

thebigjimsho
04-26-11, 11:12 PM
Even my beater is a vert.

hehehehehe
Yeah, it's a beater all right...

GizmoQ
04-27-11, 01:13 AM

I was talking about this hoopty
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=65

GizmoQ
04-27-11, 01:15 AM

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imagehosting/1310745f7978872b1f.jpg

Aron9000
04-27-11, 01:42 AM
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imagehosting/1310745f7978872b1f.jpg

I'm on a roll and it's time to go solo
Rollin' in my 5.0
With my rag-top down so my hair can blow
The girlies on standby waving just to say hi
Did you stop no I just drove by

Did you take that pic in front of the Parthenon building in Nashville?

GizmoQ
04-27-11, 02:28 AM
I'm on a roll and it's time to go solo
Rollin' in my 5.0
With my rag-top down so my hair can blow
The girlies on standby waving just to say hi
Did you stop no I just drove by

Did you take that pic in front of the Parthenon building in Nashville?

Yes, back when it was a real car. Now the top has to be dropped manually, the rims got sold (now has steelies), the A/C is broke bad, and the exhaust caught the back seat afire.

ThumperPup
04-27-11, 11:32 AM
The Price of Gas rising has never stopped me from enjoying a nice cruice a joy ride or a trip
when i first got my license gas was 78 cents a gallon and i drove 40k a year
and now gas is 3.99 a gallon and i still drive 40k a year

Joy ride heck yeah
whats more fun not much then getting out on a open road in the summer windows down radio blasting dog in the back seat girlfirend next to me
best friend and his girl crammed in the back seat with the beagle and a picnic basket to go for a 100 mile trip out to the ledges for the day and back

id hate to say it but when gas reaches 10 a gallon ill still be driving on those trips

OffThaHorseCEO
04-27-11, 12:44 PM
Yes, back when it was a real car. Now the top has to be dropped manually, the rims got sold (now has steelies), the A/C is broke bad, and the exhaust caught the back seat afire.

nothin wrong with manual tops...

thebigjimsho
04-27-11, 02:11 PM
Depends on if daddy pays for gas.

Destroyer
04-27-11, 11:51 PM
After this long and cold winter.... I scan the weather channel to plan joy rides in the Trans Am with the top down. What a stress reliever!Top down motoring IS a stress reliever especially in a classic. :cool: