: Installed Eibach springs and changed out the brake pads to Hawk brand......

DoingOK
04-24-11, 12:10 AM
Finally got the new Eibachs installed. Wasn't too bad after we figured out the first one. Also swapped out the brake pads....I love the ease of pad changeout. I'm coming from a C6 Z06 and love not having to deal with 20 "padlets".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/Car%20stuff/DSC05417-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/Car%20stuff/DSC05416.jpg

Thank you Brembo for making my job 10x easier. I spent more time cleaning the calipers than I did changing pads:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/Car%20stuff/DSC05413.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/Car%20stuff/DSC05414.jpg

neverl8
04-24-11, 12:23 AM
Nice!

baabootoo
04-24-11, 01:00 AM
Forgive me, but I'm one of the few that didn't have a Z06, so what is a "padlet"? What type Hawk pad also? How would you rate the front change work compared to the backs? (since I've already done them)

Caddy Wagon
04-24-11, 08:55 AM
Looks great! I should have the 1st set of Eibach springs on a wagon in the next couple of weeks.

Somefun
04-24-11, 09:10 AM
Which pads did you go with from Hawk? How do you like them? I just install the DTC30's but I haven't driven the car yet.....Can wait to bed them in.

DoingOK
04-24-11, 09:56 AM
Forgive me, but I'm one of the few that didn't have a Z06, so what is a "padlet"? What type Hawk pad also? How would you rate the front change work compared to the backs? (since I've already done them)

The C6 Z06 has 20 individual brake pads for the car........basically each brake piston gets its own corresponding brake pad. For the V coupe, I opted to get the Hawk ceramic pro pads to help minimize a lot of the dusting issues. I'll see how well they wear and monitor the rotor wear as well. Changing the front pads are the same except you have to remove one 13mm bolt to remove the large retaining pin. Very easy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/Car%20stuff/brake1.jpg

Which pads did you go with from Hawk? How do you like them? I just install the DTC30's but I haven't driven the car yet.....Can wait to bed them in.

My ultimate goal is less dust while still having the same, or better braking ability. I bedded the pads in yesterday and they perform just fine. I have not noticed any degradation in performance at all and I'll continue to monitor them from here on out. Here is what I installed: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=Performance+Ceramic+Pads&group=Performance+Ceramic+Pads&autoMake=Cadillac&autoModel=CTS-V&autoYear=2011&autoModClar=Coupe

Mike TexaSS
04-24-11, 11:18 AM
Hows the ride with eibachs? Bouncy or still stock like?

DoingOK
04-24-11, 11:25 AM
@Mike- I really expected a big difference, and to be honest, it really rides almost exactly as it did before on smooth highways. Very small difference to me unless you hit a big bump. The progressive rate can be felt over very bad roads, otherwise the touring mode still feels very much like the touring mode. I haven't had a chance to hit some nice twisty roads yet, but highway driving and around town is great. This makes me very happy as I want to make sure I actually have a sport and tour mode still. I am VERY happy I chose the Eibachs.

Somefun
04-24-11, 12:17 PM
I just bedded in the DTC30's on mine and wow very nice! This is the way the car should stop. Not sure but I think they are going to be very dusty but the hell with it she stops SO much better it’s not even close to the stock pads. I always felt you had to apply too much pedal pressure to stop these big girls.....not anymore now I think the only thing limiting me is the tires! LOL

tabio42
04-24-11, 06:13 PM
Do the Eibachs come with hardware to adjust the magnetic ride control sensor's position?

haterinc
04-24-11, 09:26 PM
Did u do any trimming on the front springs?

DoingOK
04-24-11, 10:19 PM
Do the Eibachs come with hardware to adjust the magnetic ride control sensor's position?

No, they do not.

Did u do any trimming on the front springs?

I trimmed 1/4 coil from the front springs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/Car%20stuff/DSC05392.jpg

musclesbmf
04-24-11, 10:27 PM
Beautiful car!!! I think I'm just about to switch from my D3 springs to the Eibach springs.
I love riding in KILLR-V's coupe because it rides great and doesn't make a peep. Mine on the other hand is getting to the point of embarrassment when driving slow.

Mark

DoingOK
04-24-11, 10:36 PM
Sorry to hear that Mark. That would drive me nuts, especially in a new car. I had Eibachs on another car and they were great. So far I am more than pleased.

Rich

haterinc
04-24-11, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the pic of the trim. So am I understanding this correctly by the MRC sensor position comment that you can no longer switch from tour to sport mode?

It's been quite a few years but my Stealth TT still had selectable suspension after the Eibach install... I think?

Caddy Wagon
04-24-11, 11:58 PM
...So am I understanding this correctly by the MRC sensor position comment that you can no longer switch from tour to sport mode?...

I think you misunderstood. It is still selectable between touring and sport mode.

DoingOK
04-25-11, 12:02 AM
^^what he said. Everything still works fine. I'm also looking into the height sensor background and what effect the 1" lower height has on MagRide. I'm a former nuclear engineering type so inquiring minds gotta know ;-)

baabootoo
04-25-11, 01:48 AM
It stiffens up the dampening since the height changed, so it sees a heavier load. Same thing if you added 400#? out back and it sagged another inch (it only senses position though, not weight). The rod moves a circular rheostat that changes the resistance to the MRC system. If you want the original ride, shorten the rod a corresponding amount. I was only a mechanical engineer too............ :(

MichaelBrown
04-27-11, 12:17 PM
It stiffens up the dampening since the height changed, so it sees a heavier load. Same thing if you added 400#? out back and it sagged another inch (it only senses position though, not weight). The rod moves a circular rheostat that changes the resistance to the MRC system. If you want the original ride, shorten the rod a corresponding amount. I was only a mechanical engineer too............ :(

Great info would like someone to try this before I do lol.

Caddy Wagon
05-05-11, 02:38 PM
I've got a question before I tackle installing my springs. Do the front strut assemblies have to come all the way out?

musclesbmf
05-05-11, 02:47 PM
^^^
Yes, remove the strut brace and then loosen all the top bolts for the strut.
Then loosen the lower shock bolts(2).
Remove the bolt that holds the upper control arm to the spindle.
Remove the bolt for the swaybar end link.
Now take out the loosened bolts and you're good to go. A second set of hands helps here.

I think I got it all. I'm doing it again on Saturday, so I will try to take some pics and post up a step by step.

Mark

DoingOK
05-05-11, 02:55 PM
Thanks Mark.

Caddy Wagon
05-05-11, 03:01 PM
Awesome, thanks. Would lifting one side and doing one spring at a time present any problems? Or did you just raise both sides and put it up on jack stands?

musclesbmf
05-05-11, 03:51 PM
You're welcome.
Please please please put it on jack stands :-) Just for the safety of it. But yes, you could do one side lifted securely at a time.

Mark

wfo
05-05-11, 04:24 PM
Beautiful car!!! I think I'm just about to switch from my D3 springs to the Eibach springs.
I love riding in KILLR-V's coupe because it rides great and doesn't make a peep. Mine on the other hand is getting to the point of embarrassment when driving slow.

Mark

Can anyone tell me why Eibachs springs would supposedly not squeak VS D3's?

Since the springs alone don't squeak...What then would be the difference in the way Eibach creates a spring versus D3's that would make the Eibach's not squeak?

musclesbmf
05-05-11, 06:13 PM
All springs are not created equal. Different windings, different materials... I don't know. I would love to know what company really made the D3 springs though.
Part of me thinks it might be the mag shocks, but lowered vettes with F55 suspension don't make noises so I don't know about that theory either.

Other cars with lowering springs don't make any sounds, so where is the design flaw? I have no idea.

Mark

GMX322V S/C
05-05-11, 08:57 PM
Awesome, thanks. Would lifting one side and doing one spring at a time present any problems? Or did you just raise both sides and put it up on jack stands?Lifting one side only will preload the sway bar...careful...

Caddy Wagon
05-05-11, 09:40 PM
Lifting one side only will preload the sway bar...careful...

Definitely.

Thanks guys! I always use jack stands when I lift a car. In the 30+ years I've been wrenching, I have had one jack stand failure. So you have to be really careful even when using them. I usually leave the jack under the vehicle as well for a backup.

Hopefully I'll get my Eibach's installed tomorrow and have pics tomorrow evening.

Caddy Wagon
05-06-11, 04:00 PM
I trimmed the Eibach front springs trimmed today. When I went to jack up the car, I realized that once I lower it, my jack won't fit under the car. Are you guys using low profile jacks? I thought about driving onto some ramps, but once it's lowered the ramps are going to be too tall as well.

serturbo
05-06-11, 04:39 PM
I had a friend that used a band saw to trim his ramps to clear his car. Another friend would drive onto a 2x4 in order to get jack clearance.

musclesbmf
05-06-11, 04:50 PM
I trimmed the Eibach front springs trimmed today. When I went to jack up the car, I realized that once I lower it, my jack won't fit under the car. Are you guys using low profile jacks? I thought about driving onto some ramps, but once it's lowered the ramps are going to be too tall as well.

I have some home made ramps that I drive up on... ususally put behind front wheels and back up onto them. then I use my low profile jack to get it in the air. Even with the low-pro jack, you will need the ramps.

mark

PhxTriode
05-06-11, 06:08 PM

Mark

Do you have their pro springs? I have put a couple thousand miles on mine and not a peep. It is a little stiffer but only notice it on rough surfaces... cornering even off camber is SO much better

Caddy Wagon
05-06-11, 10:37 PM
Dangit, I don't know why I didn't think to drive it up on some 2x4's. :bang2:

It will be next week some time before I get a chance to install them now.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've done the 2x4 thing before with other low cars.

http://www.ayresweb.com/wheels/hp/on_car/hp_driveway1.jpg

baabootoo
05-07-11, 12:27 AM

If the jack has a removeable pad, take that off to slide it underneath. Then you won't have to drive up on anything. I use a piece of 4" x 4" x 2" for the pad anyway so it sits flatter on the metal.

Caddy Wagon
05-11-11, 11:26 AM
OK I need a bit of help.

I got one of the front strut/spring assemblies out no problem. I have compressed the spring and it's slightly loose now.

How do you get the nut on the top of the shock loose? When I turn it, it just spins down inside and won't come loose. There is a squared off shaft I could hold with a wrench, but I can't get to the shock bolt with another wrench since it's recessed down in a cavity.

musclesbmf
05-11-11, 01:05 PM
I use a set of Kobalt thru ratchets to get to this stuff. About 40 bucks at lowes.

Mark

serturbo
05-11-11, 01:24 PM
Or an impact gun.

Caddy Wagon
05-11-11, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys. I figured it out. I had compressed the spring and the top part was loose, so the nut/top of the shock was just spinning around. I let some of the compression off the spring to provide pressure to the back side of the nut, and it came right off. I just had to alternate letting pressure off the spring and loosening the nut until I got the nut all the way off.

Driver's side front is all the way back together, and I'm about to put the assembly back together on the pass front. I hear the rears are easier, I should have some pics to post in a few hours.

Caddy Wagon
05-11-11, 06:59 PM
Thanks again everybody, here's a link to my pics of it lowered.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/229824-lowered-wagon-eibach-pro-kit-springs.html

afortiz98
08-17-11, 09:39 PM
Is anyone interested in buying my eibach springs for 2008-up CTS? I took them off because I needed to get rid of my car. Only put about 6000 miles on them. Have box. Will sell for $100 obo plus shipping. Email me afortiz98@gmail.com

DPL
08-11-12, 05:24 PM
I'm just starting my install but I haven't been able to find instructions for the rears. Weird that these things come with no instructions.

Anyone? How do I get the rears out?

larry arizona
08-11-12, 08:10 PM
All I did was drop a couple of the lower a arm bolts (I think only two) and pushed down on the a arm and out pops the spring. only took 30 minutes for the two rear springs.

DPL
08-12-12, 12:41 PM
Right you are Larry! Thx