: PS2 Flat Tire Question

khoeysr
04-23-11, 09:42 PM
Hello all. I had a tire go flat today at 106 mph. No loss of control, but immediate vibration and the DIC directed me to use the air compressor, which helped to make the moment light.

It seems a large screw had punctured the tire. Not sure if I had just picked it up or it had been there and my sudden acceleration dislodged it. Anyway, the compressor couldn' t get it done. Luckily, a savvy local tow guy was able to locate and plug the hole. I continued to drive normally for about 200 miles. Pressure in the tire is fine.

The repair guy pointed out that the tire sidewall had a ring on it where "it had started to cut". The tire was flat when I left the car, and it took probably a quarter to a half mile to come to a stop, and the tire was either flat or going flat. Now that it is reinflated, this ring looks like a shallow gouge.

My question is- should I replace the tire on the theory that the sidewall has been damaged and the tire compromised?

RapidRob
04-23-11, 10:16 PM
In a word - YES, IMO.

Rob

baabootoo
04-24-11, 12:10 AM
If he just plugged it, that's no good for sure. It needs to have a patch/plug that is done from the inside. Firestone only does it the right way, and they should know if the tire is ruined or not. True, it might no longer be rated for (Y) (in excess of 186) but do you actually think you'll be cruising up there?????? "IF" the tire is ok, a plug/patch will work out through the life of the tire.

garfin
04-24-11, 09:38 AM
You don't mention how many miles are on the car, but given it's a 2011, I'm guessing not many...
I wouldn't compromise safety so I'd vote for replacing the tire. If there aren't many miles on the tire, you can probably replace just the one - if there's less than 50% tread left on the tire, I'd replace 'em both at the same time, and still keep at least one of them around in case you needed an "emergency replacement" at some point in the future.
FWIW, I've never had a problem with a plug & patch fix on a tire that's been on any of my cars that are not subjected to "extreme" driving conditions... but as has been suggested, the V might not fall into that category!;)

Best regards,

Elie

e6t
04-24-11, 11:41 AM
if you are going to be driving 100+, then yes, replace the tire. if the tire blows at 100, it could be not good.

mrl859
04-24-11, 11:57 AM
Since it appears you may like to exceed the speed limit ever so slightly, replace it. Period. Is your life worth more than a few hundred dollars. Also, buy the new one with a road hazard policy and see if you can buy a road hazard policy on the other three.

thebigjimsho
04-24-11, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I'd always replace it. Yet another boon for the tire/wheel insurance!

Prof
04-24-11, 10:05 PM
No doubt...replace it.

cbloveday
04-25-11, 12:09 AM
Replace

jzchen
04-25-11, 01:44 AM
My wife got a flat in her '08 328i and it was outside the repairable area. When she got home I inspected exactly where it was and it was very near the edge of the thread, outside the repairable area. I put in a plug with some "glue" for tires from Walmart. She has driven for several months without any issues. I've hit 100mph with it... Most places use a patch. I haven't seen the recommended/required patch/plug combo. She wasn't driving 100mph though when she had the flat. I would have the tire dismounted and inspected. You will see bare metal coming out of the rubber inside when a tire has been destroyed, or at least that is my experience with a destroyed runflat.

khoeysr
04-25-11, 08:42 AM
Thanks everybody. I am going to replace both rear tires. They have 4000 miles on them now and not sure what the ultimate life will be. I don't do burnouts, just need speed for passing , and that's what I was doing when the tire went flat. Didn't blow out, no loss of control, just warning lights and DIC messsage, and also a lot of vibration and burning rubber aroma.

baabootoo
04-25-11, 02:10 PM
Want to sell them??????????? How much tread?

Tuna
04-25-11, 02:43 PM
I've plugged many a tire and kept going without worrying about them. Then again I know the guy doing the pluggin - ME!

I don't plug a tire and then take it to 140 MPH right afterward either!

Just saying that it's really your call. Do you trust the plugged tire? The guy that did it? Was the hole in a pluggable place? etc.?

Stuff like this makes me happy I spent the money on the Eurotek Design's spare tire kit also.

mrl859
04-25-11, 07:49 PM
Thanks everybody. I am going to replace both rear tires. They have 4000 miles on them now and not sure what the ultimate life will be. I don't do burnouts, just need speed for passing , and that's what I was doing when the tire went flat. Didn't blow out, no loss of control, just warning lights and DIC messsage, and also a lot of vibration and burning rubber aroma.Passing at 106? Who were you passing, Jimmie Johnson?????

khoeysr
04-26-11, 08:41 AM
Passing at 106? Who were you passing, Jimmie Johnson?????

Hey man, this is the V forum! It was three minivans, a flatbed, and an Amish wagon (actually he was on the shoulder. I think his horse had an accident when I went by).
I was on a two lane road with a short window to pass. I am preaching to the choir when I say it's no big deal to get up to 106 fast in a V. The power in that thing is always amazing.

GMX322V S/C
04-26-11, 12:13 PM
^^^
I hear you! She accelerates so fast it's like passing on a motorcycle...although I wouldn't trust a plug outside of the pluggable area. And if I'm not mistaken, a plug done right can retain a V rating (149 MPH), but I don't know about a Z rating (I think ours are rated to 186 MPH)

johnny kannapo
04-26-11, 12:45 PM
Running a tire with low psi is enough to kill it.

thebigjimsho
04-26-11, 01:42 PM
I've plugged many a tire and kept going without worrying about them. Then again I know the guy doing the pluggin - ME!

I don't plug a tire and then take it to 140 MPH right afterward either!

Just saying that it's really your call. Do you trust the plugged tire? The guy that did it? Was the hole in a pluggable place? etc.?

Stuff like this makes me happy I spent the money on the Eurotek Design's spare tire kit also.
Yeah, personally, I think the patch is overrated. Between watching and learning from my father and then doing it myself, I've seen plugs work successfully nearly hundreds of times. A good plug works flawlessly.

Now, on an extreme machine like the V, a plugged tire is great for a spare, but I always want new for the extreme duty it can get...

Tuna
04-26-11, 01:58 PM
Yeah, personally, I think the patch is overrated. Between watching and learning from my father and then doing it myself, I've seen plugs work successfully nearly hundreds of times. A good plug works flawlessly.

Now, on an extreme machine like the V, a plugged tire is great for a spare, but I always want new for the extreme duty it can get...

Me too. My dad owned a repair shop (garage) back in the '60s to early '70s and I learned to plug tires there. All my cars have a plugging kit and a compressor in the trunk just in case. If it's a screw or nail, I plug it and press on - not racing speeds mind you and I pay a little more attention to the tire pressure read outs for a while. After a couple of weeks, I'll probably forget it's there.

The only time a plugged tire got in my way was at BBORR - I was on the starting grid when a competitor noticed a screw in my rear tire. Of course it was impossible to replace a 315/35/17 Michelin PS2 AS that morning before my start time. I plugged the tire and withdrew from the race. Used that tire for another year before wearing it out and replacing it.

As a "non-professional", I do not teach other people how to plug tires as I do not want them coming back to me later if something goes wrong on a tire they plugged (I'm married to an attorney now and have to think about those things!).

mrl859
04-26-11, 03:44 PM
Hey man, this is the V forum! It was three minivans, a flatbed, and an Amish wagon (actually he was on the shoulder. I think his horse had an accident when I went by).
I was on a two lane road with a short window to pass. I am preaching to the choir when I say it's no big deal to get up to 106 fast in a V. The power in that thing is always amazing.The horse probably got vertigo from your jet wash!

khoeysr
04-27-11, 11:17 AM
Just thought I would bring this full circle. Replaced both rear tires at a local tire store ($469 each plus shipping from Tire Rack, shipped to a local installer). The flat tire was showing the steel cords on the inside, and a bunch of shredded rubber was laying in the bottom.

Looks like PS2's are definitely not run flats.

Tuna
04-27-11, 01:26 PM
To have torn the steel cord and pushed it inside the tire, it must have been a really big screw!

khoeysr
04-28-11, 09:02 AM
The cord was showing thru on the sidewall, from running flat for a bit before I could pull off the road.

Tuna
04-28-11, 09:20 AM
The cord was showing thru on the sidewall, from running flat for a bit before I could pull off the road.

That tire is difinitely a throw away tire.

BeagleBrains
04-28-11, 12:11 PM
"...the tire sidewall had a ring on it where "it had started to cut".
WOW! I suspect that the repair guy couid not predict when this circumferential cut would fail. This is a major hazard. Remarkably dangerous.
Also, a new tire will differ from the opposite side's worn dimensions and traction capabilities.
Replace both tires when one is damaged on the same axle.

khoeysr
04-28-11, 01:12 PM
Yes, the repair guy told me I should take it easy and replace it as soon as possible because he feared a possible catastrophic blowout. So I kept it 90 tops on the way home.