: Towing an Actioncraft flatsboat w/ a 2010 2.8 turbo?

KevinOpp
04-23-11, 09:15 PM
for years i used my 1997 4Runner to tow boats, i would guess typically in the 1500-2000# range. it hauled them just fine, i would just typically turn the overdrive off as recommended by the manual.

now we're considering another boat, and i'm wondering how the SRX turbo would handle this kind of towing. there just seems to be something about the "raw" power of the 4Runner's engine as compared to the "add-on" power of the turbo.

no decision has been made yet, no trailer mount, no boat bought, but it's likely to happen in the next year. any feedback for my concerns?

Cadillacyakyak
04-23-11, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=KevinOpp;2571572]
there just seems to be something about the "raw" power of the 4Runner's engine as compared to the "add-on" power of the turbo.

Seems more like a lack of "raw" power. The trailer aint gonna know the difference as to where the HP/Torque is derived. 4Runner 183HP and 217 lb-ft compared to SRX Turbo 300 hp 295 lb-ft. Granted peaks in different rpm range but just put SRX transmission in Sport or Manual Mode and away with your new boat.

KevinOpp
04-24-11, 01:16 AM
that's good to hear. i was concerned that the torque would be all wrong for heavy pulling.

TheCaptain
04-24-11, 01:09 PM
It's probably going to pull slightly differently then your Floor Runner, but it should be way more for the best. And as long as your not exceeding the 3500 lb max rating, you shouldn't have a problem. :D