: Rattle in rear wheel...

darhef
04-23-11, 04:08 PM
I noticed today when driving over bumps I'm hearing a rattling sound coming from my rear wheel. It sounds like the brake pads shaking around. I had just put new OEM pads on last week. I removed the wheel and checked the caliper bolts and the backing plate everything seems to be tight....Any suggestions as to what it could be?

bstiffmanofsteel
04-23-11, 04:14 PM
Check your shock.

darhef
04-23-11, 04:39 PM
Do You mean check the bolts on the shock? It doesn't sound like that kind of rattle, I may be wrong. I've had shock rattle before. Could the pads be rattling?

darhef
04-23-11, 05:53 PM
I should have mentioned, I don't hear it inside the vehicle only outside when the window is down.

bstiffmanofsteel
04-23-11, 07:27 PM
Cap from the wheel?

darhef
04-23-11, 07:50 PM
I checked it and it's nice and tight. When it makes the sound it's like metal clanging.

evois
04-24-11, 01:01 AM
Did you put new shims and hardware?

darhef
04-24-11, 07:39 AM
Not sure what you mean? I replaced the old pads with new OEM pads. I had to tap them in place, so they seemed to be nice and snug. Should I have used shims as well?

millhouse85
05-22-11, 12:07 AM
Try removing the center cap as the fastener pins can crack inside and rattle around.

darhef
05-22-11, 12:31 PM
No, the center caps are ok, I've had problems with them in the past. It doesn't sound like that. I'm convinced that it's the brake pads rattling. I only hear it with my window down, and I don't hear it over every little bump in the road, only certain times when the truck hits relatively hard.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-24-11, 12:58 PM
darhef, are you working on this issue yourself or are you working with your dealership on this? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

LeftLane
05-26-11, 04:45 PM
Might be rear sway bar links. I have a GMC Envoy and it would clunk/rattle like the wheel was trying to come off over bumps. New sway bar links on all 4 corners took car of it.Three of the four where bad.

LeftLane
05-26-11, 04:51 PM
When the front sway link goes bad you can feel it in the steering wheel.The back just makes a lot of noise over bumps.You can grab the sway bar links and try moving the around in all direction checking for play in them.They should be pretty stiff to move around.

surburban99
05-28-11, 11:26 AM
Have you checked the center cap? If they are not put back on correctly, they can rattle.

darhef
05-30-11, 08:16 AM
I'll look into the sway bar link, thanks for the info.

KB24
06-01-11, 01:24 AM
Gotta be ur rear sway bars are broke. I had the same problem.
If u are needed to replace them, make sure ur bushings are good or else ur new sway bars will not be positioned where they should be.

I know this because I just went through all this.

Ask me any questions if u need help if this is ur problem bruh